Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Is it just me, or has this place gotten alot dumber over the past couple years?

Is it just me, or has this place gotten alot dumber over the past couple years?
chris_h
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2004, 07:00 AM

I mean, seriously, it's hard to find a thread where I don't read something mind-numbingly retarded.

Does anyone who's been around a few years remember this board being much more intelligent?

It seems like there's been an influx of 14 year olds and republicans.
( Last edited by chris_h; Sep 16, 2004 at 08:32 PM. )

storer
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2004, 07:05 AM

Originally posted by chris_h:
14 year olds
'
i'm one...
I can't comment on the changes, but I will say that a lot of people seem to post just to build their post count.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2004, 07:06 AM

I may be mistaken but aren't you one of the guys who made BBQ?

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

d.fine
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2004, 07:13 AM

I've noticed MANY threads around the same topics. I haven't been around that long, but lately I noticed that people just post their question instead of searching first and addding to an existing thread. I've only been here since May, but personally up untill now I've only started about 4 threads ... I see a wave of lazy people ...

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

chris_h  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2004, 07:22 AM

Originally posted by Captain Obvious:
I was involved with it in a very loose way, but no i wasn't one of the founding fathers.

I guess I mainly get frustrated that many people seem to be little more than talking-points parroters (in the political lounge mainly).

I have the utmost respect for my right-thinking friends in the political lounge, fighting the good fight.

I dunno, I guess maybe its just nostalgia... This forum is pretty much the only part of my life from 4 years ago that's still similar. I just hate to see it become an epic crapfest.

p.s. nothing against 14 year olds, I used to be one. I was a pretty stupid 14 year old too. groups.google.com has preserved some of my usenet posts from that era, and I would be very embarrassed if anyone i know personally ever read them.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2004, 07:46 AM

Chris_H,

I agree with you. I think it's an influx of new users (with the John X Smith type mentality of mass posting) compounded by me growing up a bit. As long as you stay away from the forums... it's rather safe.

I think the quality is still here, you simply have to look a little deeper and use the ignore feature.

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2004, 08:26 AM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
I think the quality is still here, you simply have to look a little deeper...
...or outside the Lounge(s).

amsalpemkcus
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2004, 08:28 AM

where is tooki?

drive-thru
Senior User
Sep 16, 2004, 09:03 AM

Is it just me, or has this place gotten alot dumber over the past couple years?
It has become dumber, but I wouldn't blame it entirely on yourself. Maybe just 60%

amsalpemkcus
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2004, 09:19 AM

Originally posted by drive-thru:
It has become dumber, but I wouldn't blame it entirely on yourself. Maybe just 60%
nice one! he musta thought he could feel smarter by posting this dumb thread

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2004, 09:43 AM

Just look at the list of who's gone missing in that span of time. The memory hole has swallowed alot of the names, but dig through the archives, and you'll find a zillion intelligent posts from people who really don't darken the door any more.

My attempt to get people talking about why we come back to the lounge just decscended into a bicker-fest about typos (even though I pointed out that the one typo had been intentional, as in ironic mis-use) without a single person addressing the topic whatsoever. I requested it locked after six hours.

As to the BBQ, sure, it had some asnine content, (asnine can be fun-- this is just the inartweb after all) but it also had some really intelligent conversation, real comraderie, and with the exception of one or two members, rarely if ever descended into the bicker-fests that nearly every thread here becomes within six posts. It may be gone, but I made some real, actual life friends there, several of whom I'll be flying to meet this weekend.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

chalk_outline
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 16, 2004, 09:50 AM

I miss Max, T_F, and Boots, and a bit of WTF.. Now we have hate mongers. Slashdot looks cool.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2004, 09:58 AM

It's true that we haven't really had an ongoing intellectual (or even all that serious) discussion in a while. It makes me long for the days of PowerBookDude and cheerios and all the others. Even the early religious discussions were relatively well-thought-out on both sides, back before we had to relegate them to the PoliWar lounge.

It's a shame, now that I think about it; even back then, many of the best discussions were about politics or religion. Moving these things to the PoliWar lounge, has certainly reduced the number of flamewars here, but I can't help but wonder if we threw the baby out with the bathwater.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

wulf
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 16, 2004, 10:02 AM

I mean, seriously, it's hard to find a thread where I don't read something mind-numbingly retarded.

Does anyone who's been around a few years remember this board being much more intelligent?

It seems like there's been an influx of 14 year olds and republicans.
Yes, on the whole I agree. I'm not sure the influx of members from a certain other forum have helped stop that trend much, either.

Originally posted by Captain Obvious:
The irony is that a number of 'NNs more insightful posters went there to hang. The 'BBQ wasn't all inane name-calling and discussion of fapping

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2004, 10:04 AM

Yeah, the Lounge has taken a big nosedive since all the interesting folks got moved to the political/war forum.

Don't worry.

Demonhood has assured us that the political/war lounge is temporary.

I bookmarked the thread because I just know he'll try to weasel out of it.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2004, 10:08 AM

Originally posted by Spliffdaddy:
Yeah, the Lounge has taken a big nosedive since all the interesting folks got moved to the political/war forum.

Don't worry.

Demonhood has assured us that the political/war lounge is temporary.

I bookmarked the thread because I just know he'll try to weasel out of it.
I'm with you there buddy

I know he'll try to weasel himself out of merging the lounges. It was better before. Chris_h says so too!!
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2004, 10:32 AM

I was going to reply with my own thoughts on this, but this thread demotivated me.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2004, 10:37 AM

Originally posted by xi_hyperon:
I was going to reply with my own thoughts on this, but this thread demotivated me.
psot of the day.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2004, 10:48 AM

I... I was a pretty stupid 14 year old too. ...
I don't think much has changed. And I don't just mean that as flamebait. IIRC, all of your posts were some sort of bitter sarcastic replies, couched in humour, to other posters. I don't actually remember you actually contributing all that much to the lounge, with the possible exception of your dallyings on whether you should "commit suicide or not", since your life "was empty and meaningless", posted some time after someone took a shot at you at the place you worked.

Some time later, you dissappeared, and given your mood at the time, there was speculation that you'd offed yourself. Then you returned a while back, with singularly dark attacks each time you posted, with almost no exceptions. You might have assumed it was showing your immense intelligence by doing so. I somehow think it's actually the opposite.

I also miss the wit and intelligence of maxelson and others, and I even miss some people I had huge arguments in the pol lounge with, such as moki, but I sure as hell don't miss you.
weird wabbit

dcolton
Banned
Sep 16, 2004, 10:54 AM

Originally posted by theolein:
I don't think much has changed. And I don't just mean that as flamebait. IIRC, all of your posts were some sort of bitter sarcastic replies, couched in humour, to other posters. I don't actually remember you actually contributing all that much to the lounge, with the possible exception of your dallyings on whether you should "commit suicide or not", since your life "was empty and meaningless", posted some time after someone took a shot at you at the place you worked.

Some time later, you dissappeared, and given your mood at the time, there was speculation that you'd offed yourself. Then you returned a while back, with singularly dark attacks each time you posted, with almost no exceptions. You might have assumed it was showing your immense intelligence by doing so. I somehow think it's actually the opposite.

I also miss the wit and intelligence of maxelson and others, and I even miss some people I had huge arguments in the pol lounge with, such as moki, but I sure as hell don't miss you.
WOW! ROFLMAO, that is pretty harsh, but funny!

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2004, 11:06 AM

I've been on the recieving end of a theo ass-chewing a couple of times. He's one of the best there is.

dcolton
Banned
Sep 16, 2004, 11:13 AM

I've been on the recieving end of a theo ass-chewing a couple of times. He's one of the best there is.
I believe I have too. That is why I secretly like him...he doesn't hold back. And now that MacNN has made a successful effort to be fair...I enjoy his tongue lashings even more.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2004, 11:33 AM

Yeah I've been there. He's a regular bastard. That's why I like him

killer_735
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 16, 2004, 11:40 AM

I hope you can appreciate the irony of there being a grammatical error in your post title.

[5th_grade]a lot: two words[/5th_grade]
"Leave it. Leave it, it's fine. It's fine. I WILL DESTROY YOU!" -Morbo

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 16, 2004, 11:41 AM

p.s. nothing against 14 year olds, I used to be one. I was a pretty stupid 14 year old too. groups.google.com has preserved some of my usenet posts from that era, and I would be very embarrassed if anyone i know personally ever read them.
The reason I am glad I didn't start messing with computers till I was 21.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2004, 11:48 AM

When I was 14, there was no such thing as a computer in the home. I spent a lot of time riding my bicycle.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2004, 11:50 AM

Originally posted by wdlove:
When I was 14, there was no such thing as a computer in the home. I spent a lot of time riding my bicycle.
There were computers when I was 14, but no internet. I also spent a lot of time riding my bicycle.

lil'babykitten
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2004, 11:51 AM

I haven't been there, just observed and lolled.

Theo is extremely amusing on iChat as well.

On topic: Yeah the lounge has got dumber but whatchoo gon do?

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2004, 11:58 AM

Originally posted by voodoo:
... He's a regular bastard. ...
I think that's one of the best compliments I've ever had here.
weird wabbit

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2004, 12:08 PM

Originally posted by killer_735:
I hope you can appreciate the irony of there being a grammatical error in your post title.

[5th_grade]a lot: two words[/5th_grade]
Proving my point. Thanks!

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2004, 12:10 PM

When I was 14 I wasn't allowed to use the only computer in the house.

I rode my bike a lot.

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2004, 12:18 PM

I know that I can be pretty harsh at times. The thing is, although you and I will never agree on politics and probably a large number of other topics as well, you really are hugely funny at times and I am amazed at the creativity you show when you make your custom built pc's. That's a real art form you have there, and it pisses me off no end when people here diss it although they themselves have never shown anything in the way of creativity.

I hope I haven't just lost your respect by paying you a compliment.
weird wabbit

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2004, 12:18 PM

I can definitely see the lounge being a fair bit lower on the intelligence scale of late. Weeks go by before there are any mildly intelligent discussions and even they are broken up by stupidity.

Its not something normal either. Go take a look at the lounge at the straightdope.com forum.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Sep 16, 2004, 12:22 PM

"Is it just me, or has this place gotten alot dumber over the past couple years?"

You are not helping. The word is "a lot".

"Hello, what have we here?

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 16, 2004, 12:23 PM

Originally posted by lil'babykitten:
Yeah the lounge has got dumber but whatchoo gon do?
Gotten? The fact that it had to be made was a dumb.

The silly Bush haters couldn't stop flooding the forum with redundancy much like the PL is now.

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 16, 2004, 12:25 PM

Originally posted by TheBadgerHunter:
I can definitely see the lounge being a fair bit lower on the intelligence scale of late. Weeks go by before there are any mildly intelligent discussions and even they are broken up by stupidity.

Its not something normal either. Go take a look at the lounge at the straightdope.com forum.
Yes, threads like this one bring the intelligence level down a bit in there.

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2004, 12:27 PM

While I've only been registered for just over a year here (under soul), I've been lurking for a lot longer. IIRC, the quality of the lounge goes up and down. Maybe this thread will turn things around
... He's one of the best there is.
Yeah, you can add Captain Obvious and Spheric Harlot to that list as well. Even if you disagree with what they say, they're often times quite funny while delivering their message.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2004, 12:28 PM

X <-- marks the spot where the descent into full-on bickering about minor grammatical mistakes, and the cycle of recrimination they engender, sets in.

It's a LOUNGE. on an internet MESSAGE BOARD. we are not proofing the latest edition of the Webster's Unabridged here, people.

Sealobo
Sep 16, 2004, 12:30 PM

I mean, seriously...
the point is not to be serious.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2004, 12:32 PM

Originally posted by: Landos Mustache
"Is it just me, or has this place gotten alot dumber over the past couple years?"

You are not helping. The words are "a lot".
Fixed at no charge.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2004, 12:32 PM

feel the love in this thread.

lil'babykitten
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2004, 12:44 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
Gotten? The fact that it had to be made was a dumb.

The silly Bush haters couldn't stop flooding the forum with redundancy much like the PL is now.
A dumb what? a dumb fullstop (period)?

I wasn't a member here before the separate Pol lounge existed, so I wouldn't know what it was like back then.

AB^2=BCxAC
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 16, 2004, 12:45 PM

For every insecure dimwit, there's an egomaniacal ****. And that, my friends, is a ratio that hasn't changed in the 5 years I've been at this board. For every put-down or xenophobic belief that's pontificated, there are fewer and fewer mac related posts, and that's a ratio that continues to grow steadily awry.
"I stand accused, just like you, for being born without a silver spoon." Richard Ashcroft

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2004, 01:09 PM

I was just thinking how uncool IceEnclosure is on these boads. I hardly get many replies to my threads, that's a little sucky.

I used to be much cooler. I'm thinking it's the company I'm keeping. : \
ice

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2004, 01:15 PM

Originally posted by IceEnclosure:
I was just thinking how uncool IceEnclosure is on these boads. I hardly get many replies to my threads, that's a little sucky.

I used to be much cooler. I'm thinking it's the company I'm keeping. : \
I am so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis."

lil'babykitten
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2004, 01:17 PM

Originally posted by voodoo:
I am so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month.
Yeah but that's only because you live in Iceland.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2004, 01:21 PM

One of the reasons this place has become stupid is because of the huge number of people on these boards. We gain about 30-500 per day and they can't all be smart.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2004, 01:32 PM

This is a far different place than when I joined. And I can't say it's for the better.
Nemo me impune lacesset

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2004, 01:33 PM

True. It is got dummer. A lot of dummer.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2004, 01:34 PM

Originally posted by lil'babykitten:
Yeah but that's only because you live in Iceland.

that was a Zaphod quote I made. I just thought it was funny.

Forum Links
Forum Rules