Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > PS3, Wii or XB360

View Poll Results: Which ones would it have to be ?
Poll Options:
Sony PlayStation 3 203 votes (32.02%)
Nintendo Wii 329 votes (51.89%)
Microsoft XBox 360 213 votes (33.60%)
None 34 votes (5.36%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 634. You may not vote on this poll
PS3, Wii or XB360 (Page 129)
Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 1, 2009, 03:17 PM

Also, the Forza 3 demo looked bad ass.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2009, 03:21 PM

Project Natal is pretty damn impressive.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 1, 2009, 03:26 PM

From the Gamespot blog:

Posted 11:03 PST
Epic Games Cliffy B takes the stage with Donald Mustard from Chair Entertainment.

Posted 11:04 PST
They're unveiling Shadow Complex, an Xbox Live exclusive platformer side-scrolling actioner "in the spirit of Metroid."
WTF? I guess Gears of War 3 won't be coming out anytime soon.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 1, 2009, 03:27 PM

Dakar's MS E3 Wrap-up

• The bar is set very, very high. They really tossed around the money this year with appearances from the Beatles (and widows), Kojima, Spielberg, & Molyneaux.
• Web connectivity has been addressed by adding popular social websites.
• A few exclusive franchises are releasing new games (Forza, Halo, Splinter Cell, L4D to a lesser degree)
• MGS to XBOX, FFXII shown in progress
• In attempt to appeal to the casual market, MS introduces a wave of new stuff which (judging from the running commentary) sounded like unbelievable tech (Literally, sounds too good to be true).

Really, as a gamer or an internet addict, I don't know what more you could want from MS this year (YouTube & Flickr, maybe, but they're from competing companies).

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 1, 2009, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
From the Gamespot blog:

WTF? I guess Gears of War 3 won't be coming out anytime soon.
More hilarious, this was their "Big news"

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 1, 2009, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
Dakar's MS E3 Wrap-up

• In attempt to appeal to the casual market, MS introduces a wave of new stuff which (judging from the running commentary) sounded like unbelievable tech (Literally, sounds too good to be true).
Yeah, the full body motion capture (Project Natal) looked pretty cool. It's going to bring teabagging to a whole new level in Halo: Reach.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 1, 2009, 04:17 PM

If you guys are trying to trick me into angering the wife with yet another 360 purchase...

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 1, 2009, 04:18 PM

They also announced on-demand purchasing just like Sony has on the PS3.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 1, 2009, 04:33 PM

I thought I saw somewhere in the Xbox demos the ability to take screenshots of any game and send it to friends? Could it be true??

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 1, 2009, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
If you guys are trying to trick me into angering the wife with yet another 360 purchase...
I forget, why did you buy the PS3? Because you hadn't owned one yet or something?

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 1, 2009, 04:43 PM

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 1, 2009, 06:33 PM

Another two Halo games? How much of the exact same game can you take???

Excited for Crackdown 2, though.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 1, 2009, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
I thought I saw somewhere in the Xbox demos the ability to take screenshots of any game and send it to friends? Could it be true??
As long as your friends are on Facebook, then yes it's true.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 1, 2009, 06:42 PM

Bah, Facebook required? Boooooo!

Brien
Professional Poster
Jun 1, 2009, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
Anyone watching the Microsoft press conference? Bungie was just on stage demoing ODST (looks awesome). The guy was about to announce Bungie's next project when the damn feed went out. Does anyone know what it was?

edit: Looks like they're releasing a Halo prequel in 2010 call Halo Reach. AWESOME!!!!

Looks like they've simplified the Halo typeface quite a bit since the original Halo logo:

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2009, 06:43 AM

Prediction:
Project Natal = Fail

klb5090
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2009, 09:22 AM

Splinter Cell: Conviction

i was a pseudo fan of this series back on the xbox 1, but this new exclusive to 360 game is looking amazing. If you have a chance to watch this video of game play, i'll be surprised if your not kinda impressed.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2009, 09:24 AM

I never played it (because I never bought the massive XBOX), but I was always curious about the series (I seem to recall the dynamic lighting being a feature back in the day). I'm always hesitant on 3rd person games though. Hopefully they release a demo at some point.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2009, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
Prediction:
Project Natal = Fail
It's certainly not going to dethrone the Wii if that's what you're thinking.

I'm curious to see how well its supported. They'll need to bundle it with the 360.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2009, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
Not any. Only games built with the new feature.

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Another two Halo games? How much of the exact same game can you take???
I don't have any opinion on Reach, but if you remember my comments from the past, I'm looking forward to ODST specifically because it isn't typical Halo (no super-jumping, more stealth based). It will not be the exact same game.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 2, 2009, 10:40 AM

Prediction:
Project Natal = Fail
Same prediction most people made about the Wii. Hmm....

I'm curious to see how well its supported. They'll need to bundle it with the 360.
Agreed. I'm not going to be in line to pick one up, but I am intrigued by it and I'll wait and see what comes out for it before I make any decision.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2009, 11:13 AM

Thats just one aspect of my 'analysis'. All fanboy-ism aside:
-it's a peripheral (even Wiifit has only sold to <50% of the Wii's user base, and it's probably one of the most, if not the most successful peripheral.)
-The XBox's user base are the 'core', as you guys testify to time and again. If the Wii's motion controls didnt win you over, why would this ?
-The implementation. No controller, no tactile feedback, no accuracy. Make no mistake, this is Microsoft's answer to the Wii and the EyeToy (and it only took them 3 years to photocopy the idea and implement it in a new way). If you thought the Wii was inaccurate.... dont expect a camera to be any better.
-It's Microsoft. As big a gamble as the Wii was, given Nintendo's track record of innovation AND quality, it was reasonable to bet it would work. This is Microsoft, even with other's doing the R&D(Apple, Sony, Nintendo, Mozilla, etc) and them buying companies all over the place, they cant get a quality product that actually works out the door.... yet.

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Same prediction most people made about the Wii. Hmm....
I didn't.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2009, 11:25 AM

Thats just one aspect of my 'analysis'. All fanboy-ism aside:
I'll take these point by point.

-it's a peripheral (even Wiifit has only sold to <50% of the Wii's user base, and it's probably one of the most, if not the most successful peripheral.)
A 50% adoption rate for a peripheral is absolutely insane. But I wager they aren't looking for adoption, but attracting new users. Hence, if they're serious, this won't be a peripheral, but something that's bundled.

-The XBox's user base are the 'core', as you guys testify to time and again. If the Wii's motion controls didnt win you over, why would this ?
I don't think this is aimed at their base. This MS making a play at the Wii demographic.

-The implementation. No controller, no tactile feedback, no accuracy. Make no mistake, this is Microsoft's answer to the Wii and the EyeToy (and it only took them 3 years to photocopy the idea and implement it in a new way). If you thought the Wii was inaccurate.... dont expect a camera to be any better.
Looks like a lot of speculation here. You might want to wait till (if) there's a little more info out there before making such broad statements.

-It's Microsoft. As big a gamble as the Wii was, given Nintendo's track record of innovation AND quality, it was reasonable to bet it would work. This is Microsoft, even with other's doing the R&D(Apple, Sony, Nintendo, Mozilla, etc) and them buying companies all over the place, they cant get a quality product that actually works out the door.... yet.
I'm all for hating MS, but 5 years ago never thought I'd own their damned gaming system. In short: This is weak reasoning.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2009, 11:49 AM

Meh...with the highest failure rate of any console in recent history...along with other failures in the company's roster, and dubious QC...i'll be pleasantly surprised if and when they release a quality product.

But i guess if they bundle the thing with the arcade unit, they could sell a few units..... depending on the software, and the actual feel of the device(which i dont think will be a hit).

And i still think the accuracy of the device will be as low as , if not lower than the Wiimote. people complained that the Wii needed a lot of space to use.... imagine this thing.

Anyway....shhhhhhh... Nintendo's keynote is about to begin.... hopefully it'll be as ridiculous as last year's..... that'll put a smile on my face for sure

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2009, 11:58 AM

Meh...with the highest failure rate of any console in recent history...along with other failures in the company's roster, and dubious QC...i'll be pleasantly surprised if and when they release a quality product.
Cheap shots aside, I concede the 360 has had a poor failure rate--which is contrasted surprisingly by the fact that it continues to retain old owners and gain new ones in spite of them.

Anyway....shhhhhhh... Nintendo's keynote is about to begin.... hopefully it'll be as ridiculous as last year's..... that'll put a smile on my face for sure
Funny, I'm pretty sure you considered last year's fairly underwhelming.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2009, 12:49 PM

My prediction: Wii Music 2 will be announced.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2009, 12:52 PM

Ha.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2009, 12:59 PM

Man I'm falling asleep at this presentation. The presenters are pretty dry. The only life was the 3 pt shootout in Wii Resort. It sounds like the crowd has died, you can hear a pin drop.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2009, 01:00 PM

Are you in E3?

Edit: kotaku can't figure out if the Wii Vitality Sensor is a joke or not. Fantastic.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2009, 01:02 PM

I'm watching it live.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2009, 01:04 PM

That seemed most likely, but I had to ask.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2009, 01:05 PM

I would have liked to go but... I'll being doing ComicCon instead.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2009, 01:16 PM

Dakar's Nintendo E3 wrap-up

• Already seen or rumored: Wii Fit 2, Wii Sports Resort, Wii Motion Plus, Red Steel
• Facebook on your DSi
• Wii Vitality Sensor: Erm, what?
• More 3D Mario on the Wii
• 3rd person Metroid

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2009, 01:26 PM

Cheap shots aside, I concede the 360 has had a poor failure rate--which is contrasted surprisingly by the fact that it continues to retain old owners and gain new ones in spite of them.

Funny, I'm pretty sure you considered last year's fairly underwhelming.
Cheap shots ? This company has been conning consumers for too long with bad quality products.... i wasn't exaggerating at all. Nothing original, sub par quality. If they change that, i'll change my mind, until then... no dice.

And yeah last year's Nintendo keynote sucked... but frankly it was funny.... as in i was laughing AT them, not with them. This year, the keynote was devoid of smiles.... especially Dunnaway..... from one end of the spectrum to the other....bad move imo.

Ubisoft's camera..... anyone have any doubt this will sell ? it's being marketed as a 'weight loss' product for pete's sake....look at WiiFit.... as lame as these products are they'll sell. As opposed to .... Natal, imo.... no clear focus.

Super Mario Galaxy 2...... i'm happy. That's one Nintendo game that was announced that i'm looking forward to, and will definitely pick up.

Third parties are picking up the 'core' slack..... Red Steel 2, Conduit, Monster Hunter, Silent Hill, Resident Evil, Dead Space, etc....

Cheers

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 2, 2009, 01:29 PM

While I'd actually buy New Super Mario Bros Wii, it's not enough to make me rebuy the console. But the DS New SMB was fantastic.

In other news, the screenshots for the XBLA remake of The Secret of Monkey Island look awesome:
The Secret Of Monkey Island: Special Edition In Pictures

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 2, 2009, 01:31 PM

Cheap shots ? This company has been conning consumers for too long with bad quality products.... i wasn't exaggerating at all. Nothing original, sub par quality. If they change that, i'll change my mind, until then... no dice.
What a gross overstatement of the problems. "Conning consumers"? How do you figure?

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2009, 01:35 PM

Ubisoft's camera..... anyone have any doubt this will sell ? it's being marketed as a 'weight loss' product for pete's sake....look at WiiFit.... as lame as these products are they'll sell. As opposed to .... Natal, imo.... no clear focus.
Wait a sec, what happened to cameras being more inaccurate than Wii Motion? And yeah, I feel comfortable saying its not gonna move anything like Wii Fit. Unless of course I missed the fact that it has Wii in the name.

Third parties are picking up the 'core' slack..... Red Steel 2, Conduit, Monster Hunter, Silent Hill, Resident Evil, Dead Space, etc....
Dead Rising, MadWorld, Deadly Creatures, House of the Dead... they've been "picking up the slack" for a year now.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2009, 01:42 PM

That Nintendo keynote was a real snooze fest.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2009, 01:44 PM

I'm curious to see what Sony brings to the table. They are, after all, the ones most in need some wow factor. Not sure exclusives will be enough.
(Also, if they spend more than 30 sec on GT5 they may be screwed)

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2009, 01:51 PM

I'm curious to see what Sony does as well. Besides the new PSP, what will they show? Some of the most anticipated games like MW 2 & Final Fantasy were already demoed at the MS press conference. MS even stole a little of GT 5's thunder by previewing Forza Motorsport 3 yesterday.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2009, 01:55 PM

Yeah, the new PSP. I thought the mock-ups were better looking.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2009, 01:56 PM

So did I.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2009, 02:11 PM

Same

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 2, 2009, 02:18 PM

I'm curious to see what Sony brings to the table. They are, after all, the ones most in need some wow factor. Not sure exclusives will be enough.
(Also, if they spend more than 30 sec on GT5 they may be screwed)
The slim PS3 with a cheaper price would probably help them a bit.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2009, 02:19 PM

A slim cheap PS3 might become a my blu-ray player. I'd have to compare it to whats out there right now.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2009, 02:52 PM

Finally,... Gran Turismo PSP.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2009, 02:56 PM

I'm guessing that isn't sarcasm, since you own a PS3.

By the way, the pacing of this event is making Nintendo's look like a roller-coaster ride.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2009, 03:10 PM

Yes to both.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2009, 03:36 PM

WTF?!? Final Fantasy 14.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2009, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by klb5090 View Post
Splinter Cell: Conviction

i was a pseudo fan of this series back on the xbox 1, but this new exclusive to 360 game is looking amazing. If you have a chance to watch this video of game play, i'll be surprised if your not kinda impressed.
Yeah looks like fun. Maxime sounds like he could do the voice of some foreign bad guy if you ask me.

So, now we all know to carry around a piece of broken wing mirror - just in case you need to look under a door and mark targets.

Forum Links
Forum Rules