Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Which DVI-VGA cable is which?

Which DVI-VGA cable is which?
Dork.
Professional Poster
Nov 16, 2006, 11:25 AM

Here's an odd question for you all,

We recently upgraded my wife's laptop from a 1 GHz TiBook to a CoreDuo MacBook Pro. I'm currently selling the TiBook (shameless plug).

Here's the problem, though: I took the DVI/VGA adaptor from the new MacBook Pro, and put it in the same bin as the rest of my cables. Now, I can't tell which cable is from the MBP and which one is from the TiBook!

One is about six inches long, and has cylindrical knobs with flat tops on the screws that secure the cable into the DVI side.

The other is about nine inches long, and has knobs with more rounded tops.

This may seem like a silly question, because it really doesn't matter : either cable will work, after all -- but I'd like to know of anyone can tell me which one came originally with the MBP and which one came originally with the TiBook, so I can send the right one to whoever buys it....

dahcar
Nov 16, 2006, 11:53 AM

I'm not sure but I don't remember my MBP being 9 inches. My guess is the MBP adapter is the 6 inch one.

sray
Forum Regular
Nov 16, 2006, 12:03 PM

The 6" cable belongs to the MBP. We got a shipment of a dozen MBP in for the office and I opened one up to confirm.

chrismear
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 16, 2006, 12:18 PM

1 GHz TiBook owner here, and my DVI/VGA adaptor definitely has round-topped screws, not flat-topped screws.

Dork.  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 16, 2006, 12:26 PM

So, MBP = 6" and TiBook = 9". Thanks!

Forum Links
Forum Rules