Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > MacSkinz

MacSkinz
macskinz
Forum Regular
Jun 22, 2003, 09:31 PM

Hello All,
I'm the creator of Macskinz and would like feedback about our product. I'm curious what designs you would like us to do and what macintosh products. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Also, we will be releasing new skinz in woodgrains, brushed aluminum, carvon fiber and maybe chrome. Custom printed skinz are around the corner too.

thanks,
Doug
www.Macskinz.com

Sosa
Senior User
Jun 22, 2003, 09:59 PM

Cool product. I would love to have something like this, although I also like the glowing mac symbal to show. Will your regular full designs totally prevent the apple logo glow? Even in dark conditions?

Also, you have nothing green! I would like some kind of green design (and not a shemlock). I don't know if I trust myself to buy the clear and apply my own design. Would I be able to paste photo quality paper to the window design? I'm thinking perhaps the thickness of the paper may be prohibitive.

Anyway I will seriously considering purchasing your product in the near future!
2011 iMac 2.7 i5, 16gb RAM, 1TB HD
Previous Macs: Apple IIc+, iMac 350 G3, iBook 700 G3, G4 Powerbooks 12" 1ghz & 15" 1.67ghz
Join Team MacNN.

datz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 22, 2003, 10:58 PM

not to diss your product, but i was excited b/c mac needs more SOFTWARE skins... like the 20 million skins at wincustomize.com

does anyone know of a website where i can get OS X skins?

in response to the question above... if i'm not mistaken, do the skinz totally replace the side panel? b/c there was also a clear skin, which wouldn't do much if it didn't just replace the panel

n~s
Forum Regular
Jun 25, 2003, 09:01 PM

Looks like aan easy way to iBook mod without voiding your warranty. Pretty good looking too.

It would be better if you left a space for the Apple logo to shine through, and maybe provided a few colored plastic filters with the lid cover so people could tint their apple.
You are not your signature.

macskinz  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 26, 2003, 12:48 PM

Originally posted by Sosa:
Cool product. I would love to have something like this, although I also like the glowing mac symbal to show. Will your regular full designs totally prevent the apple logo glow? Even in dark conditions?

Also, you have nothing green! I would like some kind of green design (and not a shemlock). I don't know if I trust myself to buy the clear and apply my own design. Would I be able to paste photo quality paper to the window design? I'm thinking perhaps the thickness of the paper may be prohibitive.

Anyway I will seriously considering purchasing your product in the near future!
Green is the least purchased color for our G4 Skinz so we didn't create any of that color for our initial release. We will create them soon though. As for pasting paper behind our "windows" design, that would work fine and not be prohibitive at all.

Thanks,
Doug
www.macskinz.com

macskinz  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 26, 2003, 12:51 PM

Originally posted by datz:
not to diss your product, but i was excited b/c mac needs more SOFTWARE skins... like the 20 million skins at wincustomize.com

does anyone know of a website where i can get OS X skins?

in response to the question above... if i'm not mistaken, do the skinz totally replace the side panel? b/c there was also a clear skin, which wouldn't do much if it didn't just replace the panel
Our Skinz do not replace anything but are formed plastic(as thick as a credit card) that snugly attach to the existing panel. Clear Skinz are for those who wish to paint their own.

Thanks,
Doug
www.macskinz.com

macskinz  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 26, 2003, 12:55 PM

Originally posted by n~s:
Looks like aan easy way to iBook mod without voiding your warranty. Pretty good looking too.

It would be better if you left a space for the Apple logo to shine through, and maybe provided a few colored plastic filters with the lid cover so people could tint their apple.
We have had alot of resonse about leaving a window for the Apple logo to shine through. So... today we are working on a few designs to accomplish that. If we apply one coat of color, the Apple logo shines through great.

thanks,
Doug
www.macskinz.com

macskinz  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 3, 2003, 04:51 PM

Hello all,
As a thanks for all the good feedback about our product, MacSkinz is offering a 20% discount on iBook Skinz to message board users. Just type "3a0073b6f35ca494" in the sale code field when purchasing. This special will last for 30 days.

Thanks again,
Doug
www.macskinz.com

ApeInTheShell
Senior User
Jul 18, 2003, 10:31 PM

i think it is because the 20 million skins on wincustomize.com require purchases of at least a few products and some of them do not blend with the Win GUI.
Go to the GUI Customize forum here. There is more quality as far as skins go.

carnagex2000
Forum Regular
Jul 19, 2003, 10:29 AM

I want the 45RPM spinner for my 12" PowerBook, when are we going to see the 12" PowerBook MacSkinz

jwest
Jul 28, 2003, 11:23 PM

Thank you so much for making skinz for the ibooks. I have one of the blue ones with the window and they are great.. thin and easy to install. Totally changed the look of my scratched up 2001 ibook!!! How about purple? (grape)

oh and one with that image of 'you can take my mac when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

thanks again!!

jwest
Jul 29, 2003, 12:12 AM

Ok.. just had a suggestion from my wife. She wants flower power skinz for the ibook and the tower.. She'd definately buy one of each!

Cmon macskinz give the gal flower power!

thx again, Jeff

macskinz  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 30, 2003, 03:23 PM

Originally posted by ApeInTheShell:
i think it is because the 20 million skins on wincustomize.com require purchases of at least a few products and some of them do not blend with the Win GUI.
Go to the GUI Customize forum here. There is more quality as far as skins go.
I don't know what this guy is talking about but they sure aren't what we manufacture. They are software "skins".

macskinz  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 30, 2003, 03:24 PM

Originally posted by jwest:
Ok.. just had a suggestion from my wife. She wants flower power skinz for the ibook and the tower.. She'd definately buy one of each!

Cmon macskinz give the gal flower power!

thx again, Jeff
Flower power sounds good to me. we'll make them part of the next design batch.

Thanks,
Doug
www.macskinz.com

macskinz  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 30, 2003, 03:25 PM

Originally posted by jwest:
Thank you so much for making skinz for the ibooks. I have one of the blue ones with the window and they are great.. thin and easy to install. Totally changed the look of my scratched up 2001 ibook!!! How about purple? (grape)

oh and one with that image of 'you can take my mac when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

thanks again!!
I'm glad you like our MacSkinz. We just added a grape color skin but without the hole.

Thanks,
Doug
www.macskinz.com

macskinz  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 30, 2003, 03:28 PM

Originally posted by carnagex2000:
I want the 45RPM spinner for my 12" PowerBook, when are we going to see the 12" PowerBook MacSkinz
the 12" PowerBook Macskinz molds are being CNC machined as I write this. Most of the other steps are done(same as 12" iBook) so it won't be too much longer.

Thanks,
Doug
www.macskinz.com

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 30, 2003, 04:08 PM

You might want to look into making these for G4 Cube owners as well. While there aren't as many of us, we are pretty fanitical now with our cubes.

I'd recommend getting a general feel for response to it here, and on Cube specific sites like CubeOwner. I know I am personally interested, as the graphite look is begining to get a bit old on my Cube. With future upgrades still on the horizion for Cube owners, I don't see myself moving to another desktop Mac anytime soon. Cube or Powerbook only for me right now.

robot
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 31, 2003, 01:29 PM

I have the 14.1 screen on my ibook, would this product work on mine?
\ /
[..]

urbatronik
Forum Regular
Aug 17, 2003, 03:11 AM

did u have planed to make macskinz to imac??

we can have skinz on the transparent area of the flat panel!

so i would love to have one..

see ya

jwest
Aug 18, 2003, 11:27 PM

Sweet! glad to hear about the grape and flower power! My wife is waiting with baited breath for the flower power one.

Thanks again for the sweet product!

heck, now that my ibook looks sweet I have decided to hold off on buying a new machine.. even seems to go faster now that it is blue.. JUST KIDDING - ha ha ha

thanks again, Jeff

macskinz  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 22, 2003, 04:22 PM

Originally posted by robot:
I have the 14.1 screen on my ibook, would this product work on mine?
We just finished the 14" iBook MacSkinz and they will be ready for consumers next week. We'll let everyone know when they are.

Thanks,
Doug
www.macskinz.com

macskinz  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 22, 2003, 04:26 PM

Originally posted by Drakino:
You might want to look into making these for G4 Cube owners as well. While there aren't as many of us, we are pretty fanitical now with our cubes.

I'd recommend getting a general feel for response to it here, and on Cube specific sites like CubeOwner. I know I am personally interested, as the graphite look is begining to get a bit old on my Cube. With future upgrades still on the horizion for Cube owners, I don't see myself moving to another desktop Mac anytime soon. Cube or Powerbook only for me right now.
We may do the cube one of these days. I'm not sure what type of graphics would work with the deep draw of the forming process though.

Thanks,
Doug
www.macskinz.com

macskinz  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 2, 2003, 02:40 PM

Hey all,
I'm letting messageboard visitors know that MacSkinz has just released new models for the 12" PowerBook and 14" iBook. The 15" powerBook is almost completed along with the iPod.

If you enter "64f3672dfb3a0d9d" in the sale code field when ordering, you will get 20% off. This does not apply to G4 Skinz and will last until September 21, 03.

Thanks,
Doug
www.macskinz.com

Thilo Ettelt
Senior User
Sep 3, 2003, 03:42 PM

I wonder why the orange fire looks so red and the background so silver:

I would love to buy a silver skin with red flames to match the 12" PB.

- Thilo

macskinz  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 4, 2003, 11:31 AM

Those actually are red flames on a silver background. I'll be fixing the site and checking inventory before the end of the day.

Thanks,
Doug
www.macskinz.com

THE MAC GOD
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 4, 2003, 12:00 AM

Damn... I just found out about MacSkinz via Macaddict and just saw this thread... to bad I missed out on the codes... I just ordered a clear one for my 14" iBook so I can print my own matrix code to go underneath... I'll let you know how it works! I may even post a pic or 7.

All as artificial as the Matrix itself, although only a human mind could invent something as insipid as Love.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 4, 2003, 07:32 PM

Doug, is there any chance you will be adding more 14" iBook skinz in the near future? There are a couple of 12" that I would like to order in the 14. Like the biohazard and red cross skinz. I've been holding out to see if they might be offered, but I want to get one fairly soon to help protect my precious 'book when I'm out and about.
Nemo me impune lacesset

macskinz  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 5, 2003, 12:27 PM

Originally posted by ThinkInsane:
Doug, is there any chance you will be adding more 14" iBook skinz in the near future? There are a couple of 12" that I would like to order in the 14. Like the biohazard and red cross skinz. I've been holding out to see if they might be offered, but I want to get one fairly soon to help protect my precious 'book when I'm out and about.
We are trying to balance out our existing designs to avoid this problem. The designs you requested get good response so we'll be moving those to the newest models. As for our other designs, we base our production on sales and requests. If an item does not sell well for one model, we won't create the same design for the other models and vise versa. We should be screening the biohazard design for the 14" powerbook today and have it available this coming week. The red cross will come sometime later. The reason things take so long at MacSkinz is because we are a VERY small company and are pushing to get the 15" powerbook and iPod MacSkinz done as soon as possible. We also have a few other products in development.

Thanks,
Doug
www.macskinz.com

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 5, 2003, 10:14 PM

Thanks for the quick reply Doug. I'll keep checking the site and order as soon as you get the biohazard up. Always good to see someone on here getting and responding to feedback.

Nemo me impune lacesset

THE MAC GOD
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 5, 2003, 10:48 PM

Im waiting on my clear one to come in so I can put my Matrix-styled background on it...

All as artificial as the Matrix itself, although only a human mind could invent something as insipid as Love.

andretan
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 6, 2003, 10:01 AM

I love my MacSkinz
mac.goodies webstore / Switched to an iBook in November 2002. Never looking back.
iBook R.I.P. 20 Nov 2002 - 2 Aug 2005
Hello Leopard! On iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 2GB, iPod 5th gen 30GB and iPhone

hazelnutcoffeeg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 7, 2003, 05:58 PM

i want coffe themed skinz!
or one that looks like old-style travel stickers like they used to put on steamer trunks. that would be really cool.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 12, 2003, 03:30 AM

Alright Doug, I've been checking the site daily looking for my 14" biohazard symbol, credit card in hand, all for naught. Don't let me down bud, me and my 'book are counting on you...

And what's up with the iPod skinz? I don't see anything on the site about them. Can you give us a preview? I finally managed to buff the scratched out of my baby and I want to keep it that way. What have you got in the works for the ipods? Please don't forget about those of us with 1g and 2g pods. We need love too!

Oh, and another of those 20% off coupon codes wouldn't hurt anything either. Show us the love!
Nemo me impune lacesset

macskinz  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 14, 2003, 11:53 AM

Originally posted by ThinkInsane:
Alright Doug, I've been checking the site daily looking for my 14" biohazard symbol, credit card in hand, all for naught. Don't let me down bud, me and my 'book are counting on you...

And what's up with the iPod skinz? I don't see anything on the site about them. Can you give us a preview? I finally managed to buff the scratched out of my baby and I want to keep it that way. What have you got in the works for the ipods? Please don't forget about those of us with 1g and 2g pods. We need love too!

Oh, and another of those 20% off coupon codes wouldn't hurt anything either. Show us the love!
I've been staring at unformed 14" biohazard MacSkinz for about a week now and need to finish them up and make them available. The 15" PowerBook (first gen.) has given us more difficulties (in the hinge area) than expected so it has been taking our time away from other projects. The good news is that the 15 is done now and just needs to be put up on the site. The iPod MacSkinz are also more or less done. They cover the face and roll over the edges similar to our other MacSkinz. The first to be released are for the first gen. iPods.

Thanks,
Doug
www.macskinz.com

macskinz  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 14, 2003, 11:57 AM

Originally posted by hazelnutcoffeeg:
i want coffe themed skinz!
or one that looks like old-style travel stickers like they used to put on steamer trunks. that would be really cool.
I'm all for coffee myself and have talked with Shannon Wheeler from the comicbook "Too Much Coffee Man" about creating a design for us. This may happen one day. I also like the idea of the steamer trunk.

Thanks,
Doug
www.macskinz.com

Dace
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2003, 03:24 PM

When is Macskinz gonna "open" for bussiness? Its been like a year and sill nothing. Poor choice of skinz...all of them are just flames. I'd like to purchase one...but I don't like any of the choices available. So when are new designs coming? I understand you're working on iPod etc.. but why let that slow down everything else? And how about a Canadian flag? Or a Mexican flag?

Data Bytes Computers - Montreal, QC
Ventes & Services / Sales & Services

macskinz  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 16, 2003, 05:27 PM

Originally posted by Dace:
When is Macskinz gonna "open" for bussiness? Its been like a year and sill nothing. Poor choice of skinz...all of them are just flames. I'd like to purchase one...but I don't like any of the choices available. So when are new designs coming? I understand you're working on iPod etc.. but why let that slow down everything else? And how about a Canadian flag? Or a Mexican flag?
I'm not too sure that you've been to our site lately. There are over 50 designs including the Canadian flag. If you are talking about the G3/G4 MacSkinz, they are on hold for awhile until we have the resources to redevelop their production method. As for designs, we base them on a balance between requests, sales and what is financially realistic. We are not going to liscense the Oakland Raiders logo or print complex 6 color designs just to sell a few of them. I wish we could but we can't. About the iPod slowing us down, we are a VERY small company and time is short.

On a lighter note: MacSkinz for the first gen. 15" powerBook are done and will be available on our site by the beginning of next week. They are limited in numbers and designs but the tooling is done and we are cranking them out as fast as we can.

Thanks,
Doug
www.macskinz.com

carnagex2000
Forum Regular
Oct 18, 2003, 04:54 PM

Hey Doug, When are the Jaguar 12" powerbook shells going to be out? I need one to match my hair.

Thanks
Powerbook 12" 640MB 60GB AirportExteme Canon 10D and my good looks 8^D

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 21, 2003, 02:44 AM

My 14" biohazard is now ordered. Thanks Doug!

Now don't be dawdling with the postman. Let's get that thing in the mail post-haste!

Nemo me impune lacesset

THE MAC GOD
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 23, 2003, 05:21 PM

OK... I'm a little confused about the application process. The instructions sent with the skin indicate (visually) that you are supposed to put the larger one-sided pieces of tape on the skin and then put the smaller nubs in the middle of those previously mentioned one-sided pieces of tape. HOWEVER, on your website, it says to put the two-sided pieces where the red squares are (should keep them circular if they are the nubs so that people like me don't get confused. SO, I just put the nubs on (one in each corner). One side keeps popping up so I guess that tonight I will put another one under that side... or maybe it's just ornery... any ideas? Also, what purpose does the one-sided pieces of circular tape have (with the black bars), if all we need are the nubs. Thanks!

einmakom
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 25, 2003, 10:21 AM

Doug,

I have the 12" powerbook.

I like the skinz for the top of the laptop, but I also want something to protect the bottom and sides. I know that there's the battery and ports to contend with, but I also know that if anyone can do this, you can.

It would make the 'book look more color-consistent (no mix of flames/biohazard and white plastic or metal) and it would protect the bottom from potential scratch damage.

Let me know what you think, and I think you ought to contact vmarks about doing a macnn review.

xylon
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2003, 02:15 PM

I've been looking at your products for a while and have been having a hard time resisting the temptation to whip out my credit card. Well, it's not that hard since there don't seem to be any from the 17". I'll keep watching the site.

Originally posted by macskinz:
The iPod MacSkinz are also more or less done. They cover the face and roll over the edges similar to our other MacSkinz. The first to be released are for the first gen. iPods.

Now this I'd like to see. My poor first gen. iPod is getting passed up by all these cool accessories. Even though it's already pretty beat up, I'd like to prevent further damage. Will the iPod skinz cover the screen as well? That's my main concern.

^Thanks to sealobo
Viva le ScrollWheel!

macskinz  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 26, 2003, 08:44 PM

Originally posted by carnagex2000:
Hey Doug, When are the Jaguar 12" powerbook shells going to be out? I need one to match my hair.

Thanks
for prototyping or short-run, our printing system for bitmap images works fine. It has proved impractical for any type of production. So, I am working with a chemist to modify the receptive coating for our production process. This all takes way longer than I want and is out of my control. As soon as I have the new process nailed down, hopefully soon, I'll let everyone know.

Thanks,
Doug
www.macskinz.com

macskinz  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 26, 2003, 08:47 PM

Originally posted by einmakom:
Doug,

I have the 12" powerbook.

I like the skinz for the top of the laptop, but I also want something to protect the bottom and sides. I know that there's the battery and ports to contend with, but I also know that if anyone can do this, you can.

It would make the 'book look more color-consistent (no mix of flames/biohazard and white plastic or metal) and it would protect the bottom from potential scratch damage.

Let me know what you think, and I think you ought to contact vmarks about doing a macnn review.
There are more issues including heat buildup and ventilation to contend with. As it is, PowerBooks and even iBooks get pretty darn warm on the bottomside. I don't wan't the liability of the machine getting even hotter.

Thanks,
Doug
www.macskinz.com

macskinz  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 26, 2003, 08:51 PM

Originally posted by xylon:
I've been looking at your products for a while and have been having a hard time resisting the temptation to whip out my credit card. Well, it's not that hard since there don't seem to be any from the 17". I'll keep watching the site.

Now this I'd like to see. My poor first gen. iPod is getting passed up by all these cool accessories. Even though it's already pretty beat up, I'd like to prevent further damage. Will the iPod skinz cover the screen as well? That's my main concern.
The iPod MacSkinz do not have a clear window for the screen but a hole the shape of the screen itself. It would be imposible for us to apply the images and keep a perfectly sized and positioned clear window. The plastic and image stretches during the forming process.

Thanks,
Doug
www.macskinz.com

macskinz  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 26, 2003, 08:56 PM

Originally posted by THE MAC GOD:
OK... I'm a little confused about the application process. The instructions sent with the skin indicate (visually) that you are supposed to put the larger one-sided pieces of tape on the skin and then put the smaller nubs in the middle of those previously mentioned one-sided pieces of tape. HOWEVER, on your website, it says to put the two-sided pieces where the red squares are (should keep them circular if they are the nubs so that people like me don't get confused. SO, I just put the nubs on (one in each corner). One side keeps popping up so I guess that tonight I will put another one under that side... or maybe it's just ornery... any ideas? Also, what purpose does the one-sided pieces of circular tape have (with the black bars), if all we need are the nubs. Thanks!
From reading your post, you must have ordered a clear MacSkin. The 3/4" clear stickers are to place between the adhesive "dot" and the freshly painted surface of the MacSkinz. This is provided in case you custom painted your MacSkinz. It distributes the point of adhesion to the computer so the pad will not pull off the paint. If left clear, you do not need it.

Thanks,
Doug
www.macskinz.com

Robertk2012
Forum Regular
Oct 26, 2003, 09:02 PM

So what happened to the brushed aluminum that started the thread. Id like that or crome for my 12" ibook

Link
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2003, 08:12 AM

Heheh. Totally awesome product, and while nothing can be done about it right now, you *CAN* expect me to eventually buy a pair of macskinz from ya

^_^ I have some plans muwhahaha.. but yeah.. got a few things I need to do first.

Ya know something that might be as a thought would be to make a replacement rightside door for the G5, not sure how it latches in and this would probably be the biggest issue but it could look cool
Aloha

fener
Oct 28, 2003, 08:08 PM

Macskinz,

I want to buy the Silver on Blue flames skin for my 12" iBook. I see that avaiable only on the 14" iBook page. Can you make a 12" Silver on Blue flames ? I will buy if you can make it for the 12". Its the best skin for my 12" G4

Thanks

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2003, 10:49 PM

These look awesome! However, my eMac is looking pretty bland lately, and I wish there was a MacSkinz I could put on it. Any chance you'll be making skins for the eMac or iMac? I'd hate to resort to painting, which I'm not that good at, but I really do want to customize the look.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

Forum Links
Forum Rules