Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Apps not using Prefs? After Shapeshifter

Apps not using Prefs? After Shapeshifter
gradient
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2006, 10:02 PM

I installed Shapeshifter a few days ago and today was trying out a few different themes. I applied a handfull, then ultimately reverted back to the default Aqua theme. After having done this, along with a few login/logouts both Firefox and Camino have lost their connection (bad terminology, sorry) to their preferences, skins and extensions (all back to default, no extensions in camino obviously) and no longer display my bookmarks. There may be other apps that now have similar problems but I haven't found any yet. Also, I cannot for some reason, launch Quicksilver anymore, I just get the little 'blip' sound that it cannot be launched.

I'm running 10.4.4 and made absolutely no changes aside from applying themes in shapeshifter between the time all of this was in normal working order and when it wasn't. As far as I remember, the themes I applied were: eXec and BBX Mercury X 1.5 along with the Icon set for eXec and various BBX Mercury dekstop pics.

Help putting this back to normal would be very much appreciated. As far as firefox goes, I did check that the path to my profile within the 'profiles.ini' file is correct.

Thanks.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 17, 2006, 10:08 PM

Have you checked the permissions of those preference files to make sure you have both read and write access to them?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

gradient  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2006, 10:20 PM

Yes, I have Read/Write rights to the preferences for firefox,camino and quicksilver. I just noticed, also that Adium has lost all of my preferences including all of my accounts setups. I will never use Shapeshifter again.

gradient  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2006, 10:42 PM

On further inspection, it would seem that my previous profile for firefox was in fact wiped clean - i.e. no bookmarks no extension set, no nothing. blah. I was able to get quicksilver running again simply by reinstalling it - go figure. I had checked my read/write permissions on the previous installation and they were a.o.k.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2006, 08:45 AM

Haxies bad.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2006, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by msuper69
Haxies bad.

that's a pretty broad dismissal...

i've used shapeshifter and mighty mouse for years, no problems.
also using fruitmenu (which i find essential). cleardock at times...

gradient...did u disable app enhancer? uninstall shapeshifter, etc?

not sure what is happening for you (hard to tell from here).
best of luck getting things back to normal...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

gradient  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2006, 03:10 PM

WOW I have just found out that my Address book and iCal have also been wiped clean. That is a near catastrophe as far as iCal, because as a contractor I have been tracking all of my billable hours in iCal and don't have a backup for the last two weeks that I was just about to invoice for. AAARGHHH!!!!! If someone has any help to provide, it would be very much appreciated!!!

gradient  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2006, 03:26 PM

Well I managed to track down the individual .ics files for iCal and manually import them so that is sorted out. I did a repair permissions and noted this entry:

Permissions differ on ./Library, should be drwxrwxr-t , they are drwxrwxr-x
Owner and group corrected on ./Library
Permissions corrected on ./Library

I'm wondering if this has some significance (forgive my ignorance on the subject). Repairing this permission did not have any actual effect on the behaviour of my system, though.

smeger
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2006, 04:59 PM

ShapeShifter doesn't do anything odd with preferences that could have caused this. I'd guess that something went screwy with your filesystem and the log out/in is what caused it. I suggest that you boot from you OS installation CD and run Disk First Aid.

Are you using File Vault? If so, you should also first aid the file vault disk image.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jan 18, 2006, 05:57 PM

Did you perhaps run out of disk space?

The symptoms can appear quite similar to what you're describing.

Make sure to always keep AT LEAST a GB of free space on your drivve.

gradient  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2006, 06:03 PM

No I'm not using filevault, and first aid finds no problems with my HD after I ran it twice to be sure.

gradient  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2006, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by smeger
ShapeShifter doesn't do anything odd with preferences that could have caused this. I'd guess that something went screwy with your filesystem and the log out/in is what caused it. I suggest that you boot from you OS installation CD and run Disk First Aid.

Are you using File Vault? If so, you should also first aid the file vault disk image.
Filevault is off and after running first aid twice, no disk problems have been found.

gradient  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2006, 06:06 PM

*Dupe Post*
( Last edited by gradient; Jan 18, 2006 at 06:13 PM. )

gradient  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2006, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by analogika
Did you perhaps run out of disk space?

The symptoms can appear quite similar to what you're describing.

Make sure to always keep AT LEAST a GB of free space on your drivve.
Nah, I have more then 10GB free, thanks for the suggestion tho.

gradient  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2006, 06:12 PM

*Dupe Post*

illini1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2006, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by gradient
WOW I have just found out that my Address book and iCal have also been wiped clean. That is a near catastrophe as far as iCal, because as a contractor I have been tracking all of my billable hours in iCal and don't have a backup for the last two weeks that I was just about to invoice for. AAARGHHH!!!!! If someone has any help to provide, it would be very much appreciated!!!

Gradient:
I lost all my address book data. Tried retyping it in, but the new data then vanished into thin air. Then I started "backing up" my address contacts in a different file. That worked for a while but then it too vanished into thin air.

Did you ever resolve this data loss problem?

Perplexing...

Forum Links
Forum Rules