Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Print form 1098

Print form 1098
Douglashh
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 19, 2007, 02:27 PM

Anyone know of an application that will print IRS form 1098. Neither of the tax applications do this.

Thanks,
Doug

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 19, 2007, 07:41 PM

Douglashh  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 19, 2007, 09:01 PM

That is not acceptable to the IRS unfortunately. They would rather I do them by hand than use the PDF they supply. IRS say a $50 fine for using their own PDF.

Thanks anyway.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 19, 2007, 09:28 PM

Are you talking about the 1098 Mortgage statement? It seems that it's supposed to be produced by a financial institution, not a taxpayer. Maybe a business tax application would produce it, but I don't see any of the consumer products doing it.

By the way, Adobe Reader should print it just fine. What do you mean about the $50 fine? For using the IRS's own forms? That sounds screwy.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Douglashh  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 20, 2007, 02:09 AM

That's the message they put at the front of the PDF form 1098. Sounds screwy to me too especially since my only alternative is to get the black forms from the IRS and fill them in longhand.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 20, 2007, 06:17 PM

Wow, that's crazy.

Macola
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2007, 06:31 PM

If it's anything like a 1099, the reason you can't use the PDF is that the forms are machine-scannable, so they use special ink.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

Douglashh  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 20, 2007, 09:21 PM

That's what I understand but then why would they allow them to be filled in longhand? They apparently don't have a problem with that as that is what they told me to do. Very weird. There is no underestimating the logic or common sense of the US Government.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 21, 2007, 12:45 AM

A manually completed form would be obviously manual and they could just handle it manually. A printed form would LOOK like it could be scannable-but they wouldn't know it wasn't until they'd wasted time trying it. That sort of makes sense. Unless you have a huge bunch to complete, get the black ones and fill them out manually.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Dec 21, 2007, 09:26 AM

Go to staples and buy the forms that you need.
The IRS is very specific in what the forms look like and they do not want an ink jet printed form.

I've always gotten my 1099, W2 forums from staples and not had a problem with them.

Macola
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2007, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Douglashh View Post
That's what I understand but then why would they allow them to be filled in longhand?
The special ink is used in the other parts of the form, sort of like the magnetic ink that was used on bank checks. I don't pretend to make sense of it, but that's what my accountant told me.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

Douglashh  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 21, 2007, 03:58 PM

Well I can guarantee that my ball point pen doesn't have special ink so why they would accept that, and my sloppy penmanship, over what comes out of my printer is beyond me.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 21, 2007, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Douglashh View Post
Well I can guarantee that my ball point pen doesn't have special ink so why they would accept that, and my sloppy penmanship, over what comes out of my printer is beyond me.
See my post-as long as your penmanship is clear enough to read, it's going to work for manual processing, while a laser printed form would look like it was ready to go through an automated process and probably would mess everything up.

FireWire
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2007, 10:42 PM

Wow that's really stupid.. What if you put a handwritted post-it on it saying they must treat is a handwritten form, so they don't waste their *precious* time (paid by your taxes) scanning it (oh no!! I just wasted 20 seconds before I realised I couldn't scan it!!!!). And why in the world can't they let people fill their form over the web.. No scanning time and no human error... They would save a lot of money and time..

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 22, 2007, 10:03 AM

Scanning and other electronic data entry methods are far less error prone (given the right forms) than manual entry. Taking a look at IRS stats, you'll see that their entry error rate went way down when they started using electronic filing-because that meant that there weren't as many temp hires keying in form after form. The manual processing is now done by fewer, better trained people, so when a form such as a 1098 has to be produced manually, it's also more likely to be done correctly. It's not the time savings of scanning that's at issue, it's the problem of mucking up the works in the machines.

What are Canadian tax forms like? And how are they processed?

Forum Links
Forum Rules