Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Apple: iPod touch is now a "mainstream Wi-Fi mobile platform"

Apple: iPod touch is now a "mainstream Wi-Fi mobile platform"
Langdon
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 23, 2008, 12:14 AM

How many times have we heard something like this:

Originally Posted by butterfly0fdoom View Post
Have you not been reading anything that the rest of us have been posting? Apple never intended the iPod touch to be a pseudo-PDA
Guess what.... Touch no longer just an iPod

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2008, 12:26 AM

When the SDK comes out, you'll find it hard to remember the iPod touch actually plays music at all.

gheff
Jan 23, 2008, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by rickey939 View Post
When the SDK comes out, you'll find it hard to remember the iPod touch actually plays music at all.

Really? I'm not saying there aren't people for whom this is true, but am I the only one who uses his iPod touch primarily as a music and video player? Mine is stuffed to the gills with music and a handful of videos and audiobooks. I've just got no room for lots of miscellaneous apps. I love having Wi-Fi and Safari for those occasional moments when I have both Wi-Fi access and a need to browse, but for the most part, I find that it's music, video and spoken content that I want.

I may find a few must-have apps along the way but I just can't see myself giving up lots of my precious music space to accommodate them.

Is there really going to be something that compelling released after the SDK ships?

PaperNotes
Jan 23, 2008, 11:21 AM

Will apps be allowed to open and save Office and other files is the thing. There needs to be a Finder/file manager.

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Jan 23, 2008, 12:42 PM

Yeah, I'm aware of Apple's statement. Guess what that means? (1) It's validated my point up until today and (2) I won't be spewing the "The iPod touch is meant to be an iPod and nothing beyond that" line anymore.
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.16 (Black)
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

Langdon  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 23, 2008, 12:48 PM

Guess what that means? (1) It's validated my point up until today .
Yeah, that's also wrong.

The Touch was introduced Sept. 5th.
Apple threw in the towel and realized they couldn't keep it locked up as just an iPod on October 17th when they announced the SDK.
That's the day your point was invalidated.

Langdon  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 23, 2008, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by gheff View Post
I've just got no room for lots of miscellaneous apps.

Is there really going to be something that compelling released after the SDK ships?
Do you have the model that's only 8 gigs?

The 5 applications and updates to the system that came with 1.1.3 were about 80mb. That is not a whole lot of space. Given that you'd be able to pick and choose what you want to upload to your device I'd think that at some point the majority of people would find an application they can use. Even if its just a front end stumbler.

So I'd say given the creativity of some programmers something compelling will be out within 3 weeks of the SDK being put out. Its just going to be another operating system in the end and I doubt you just have the applications that came from Apple on your computer.

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Jan 23, 2008, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Langdon View Post
The Touch was introduced Sept. 5th.
Apple threw in the towel and realized they couldn't keep it locked up as just an iPod on October 17th when they announced the SDK.
That's the day your point was invalidated.
No, Apple continued to market the iPod touch as an iPod and not as a Wi-Fi Mobile Platform. The new vision was outlined on Tuesday, the day that Apple explicitly stated a change in the direction of the focus of the iPod touch.
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.16 (Black)
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2008, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by gheff View Post
Mine is stuffed to the gills with music and a handful of videos and audiobooks. I've just got no room for lots of miscellaneous apps.
This is exactly the problem - there is only room for a handful of songs, videos and audio books - for it to become a viable mobile platform it needs a sensible amount of storage.

TURN
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2008, 09:02 PM

the ipod touch plays music ? i had it all this time and did not know that.
Just joking ...LOL!!! i have the 8 gigs one. I don't have big problems with space because I have no need to carry around 2000+ songs. I usually load up round 300 and go. so I have room for other stuff like apps.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 23, 2008, 09:30 PM

I forget that the touch plays music even without the app pack. I use mine mostly for movies it seems.

kermit4161
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 24, 2008, 09:33 AM

No, Apple continued to market the iPod touch as an iPod and not as a Wi-Fi Mobile Platform. The new vision was outlined on Tuesday, the day that Apple explicitly stated a change in the direction of the focus of the iPod touch.
I find it hard to believe that Apple just decided to change the direction of the iPod Touch at the last second. They tend to plan out things long in advance... why else build all of that capability into the device in the first place. More likely they knew where they were taking the Touch long ago and announced the 'new' direction at a time of their choosing. I firmly believe that the iPod Touch was meant to be the mobile platform from the beginning...

Cheers

gheff
Jan 24, 2008, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Langdon View Post
Do you have the model that's only 8 gigs?
I've got the 16. All but about 2G is taken up with music and the rest is essentially transient stuff, video, podcast, audiobook and the few apps that are present in 1.1.3 with the January applications update installed.

So I'd say given the creativity of some programmers something compelling will be out within 3 weeks of the SDK being put out. Its just going to be another operating system in the end and I doubt you just have the applications that came from Apple on your computer.
I'm sure you're right. I'm sure I'll find a few compelling apps. I just don't see me putting page after page of apps on there. My music is just too important.

naphtali
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 24, 2008, 01:10 PM

I don't think this represents a fumbling or change of strategy

It's probably just a matter of time anyways, since MP3 players are becoming more commonplace and Apple needs different ways to differentiate its products

It's probably that Apple's plans for it are surfacing soon, so it'll be really cool to watch what happens!

Forum Links
Forum Rules