Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Transferring ownership how do I?

Transferring ownership how do I?
maxx9photo
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 27, 2008, 08:58 AM

I'm getting a macbook for my GF and need to know how can I transfer the ownership as the previous owner of this macbook is not the original purchaser. Any advice would be appreciated much!.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2008, 09:24 AM

applecare

6. Transfer of Plan
You may transfer this Plan to a new owner of the Covered Equipment by sending, faxing or emailing
notice of transfer to Apple Inc., ATTN: Agreement Administration, MS: 217AC, 2511 Laguna
Blvd, Elk Grove, CA 95758, U.S., fax number 916-399-7337 or [email protected],
respectively. You must provide the Plan Agreement Number, the serial numbers of the Covered
Equipment being transferred, proof of purchase of the Plan, and the name, address, telephone
number and email address of the new owner

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2008, 09:27 AM

Have the currently registered owner call up Apple customer support to transfer the ownership to your GF. This is important if there is any warranty left on the unit.

I sold an iMac with AppleCare to someone, and gave that person all the original packaging and receipts. Apple wouldn't repair it when the machine broke down months later because he wasn't registered as the owner. Luckily the guy was able to find me so I just called Apple and confirmed I had sold it to him. Apple immediately repaired it after that.

maxx9photo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 27, 2008, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Have the currently registered owner call up Apple customer support to transfer the ownership to your GF. This is important if there is any warranty left on the unit.
Yes, the problem is the current owner never registered under his name and he doesn't know neither the original purchaser info.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2008, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by maxx9photo View Post
Yes, the problem is the current owner never registered under his name and he doesn't know neither the original purchaser info.
Without some of the specifics, such as the original purchaser information it will be difficult or near impossible to get apple to transfer the warranty.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2008, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by maxx9photo View Post
Well then, effectively the machine doesn't have a warranty, and the price should reflect that.

maxx9photo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 28, 2008, 12:13 AM

Okay guys, seems it's bit cleared now cause the current owner never registered the MB and he bought it of from a closed down shop that went out of business so what do you think? I probably will give apple a call before i make any payment and regarding the price yes I'm really getting a good deal and the MB itself in pristine condition (less than 6 months old).

OreoCookie
Aug 28, 2008, 02:53 AM

Don't forget to register Apple Care -- which you need to do within the first 12 months of purchase.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules