Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > So I pulled the trigger, new MBP 15'

So I pulled the trigger, new MBP 15'
maxx9photo
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 25, 2009, 08:01 PM

After long research what is best suited my needs, I finally give a try on MBP 15'4. I've been asking before here if I should get a refurb from apple for the previous model and went to apple store to see in person for the new model with glossy even though I hate glossy scenario in apple store but I decided to go ahead with it. And I love it so far I chose the 2.53 with 6GB max out memory and 320 HD 7200.

I do love my old MBP but that DVD drive really bothered me and I don't like to add a new external DVD drive, I gave a thought though but ended up and lucky me sold that MBP (it's 2.2 model). The one that I can see big difference on this new one is the graphic display, it's improved all the way compare to the old one which only has 128 MB. And yes that max out 6 GB memory is incredible help the processing on my work (I use adobe CS4 heavily).

Thanks again for everyone here who's been helping me on comparison for MBP and yes I love MAcNN!!! you guys rock!!!.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Feb 25, 2009, 11:17 PM

congrats on your new machine and enjoy
~Mike

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2009, 11:04 AM

You will love the new 15" MBP, but (I note "photo" in your screen name) Apple does give you 14 days to decide to switch to the new 17" MBP because of:

• More screen real estate, a very big deal when in the field and no external display is connected.

• Much higher pixel count, a very big deal when in the field and no external display is connected.

• Available matte display, a very big deal (to many graphics pros) when in the field and no external display is connected. Note however that I not have actually seen the new 17" MBP because it just recently started shipping.

• Faster; the added size and easier heat dissipation of the 17" apparently allow Apple to make less engineering compromises.

• Twice the available RAM (later after RAM costs fall more), a very big deal moving forward as app vendors evolve apps to better utilize available cheap RAM, OS 10.6 and boxes with more RAM access. Under OS X Photoshop (and probably Aperture as well) can already take advantage of up to 32 GB installed RAM, maybe more.

• Longer battery life is alleged by Apple and by the first users who have received the new 17" MBPs, which matters not to me but some folks care.

• After years of using 15" and smaller, starting with the Duo, I currently use a 2.33 GHz 17" and far prefer the larger size.

• All the above benefits and it only weighs 1.1 pound more than the 15" MBP.

-Allen

NobleMatt
formerly crazyreaper
Senior User
Feb 26, 2009, 12:06 PM

can u not just congratulate the man?

ive had mine a few days now, and have to say have no disappointments apart from my surprise as how loud the keyboard is when typing, loving the gestures on the trackpad (this is my first apple laptop) and in regards to the post above, even thought my MBP out specks my imac, i never bought it with the intention of it replacing it, my MBP was bought simply for work on the go, (in uni, on the train ect) so whenever im at home i use my imac.i too use CS4 but not heavily (illustrator which isnt a process hogging app like others. so taking all of the above into consideration i went for the base model 15" with a 4GB ram upgrade as thats all im ever going to need.

Enjoy it, but luck after it lol
The Spammer Formally Known As Crazyreaper
Mac Book Pro 15", 2.66 Ghz C2D, 4GB DDR3 / iPhone 4 16GB

maxx9photo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 26, 2009, 06:37 PM

oh well, my budget won't allow me to shell out extra $5-600 more on the 17. I know it's should be nice but that money could go towards other needs , I'm a happy camper as of now.

Jens Peter
Senior User
Feb 27, 2009, 01:42 PM

Congratulation on the new machine, I just replaced my 12" powerbook with a MacBook, liking it a lot

Forum Links
Forum Rules