Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 12"PB fan constantly on when attached to 20" LCD

12"PB fan constantly on when attached to 20" LCD
ASIMO
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2004, 01:47 PM

I am wondering if it is common to have the 12" PB 1Ghz/768MB turn on its fan(s) after several minutes of use in closed-lid mode while hooked up to an external display (in this case, a 20" Dell FPW2005). Does anyone else experience this relatively major annoyance? How does one go about mitigating the fan noise or activation? Any particular stand/rest for the PB?

Thank you.
I, ASIMO.

Fiete5401
Dec 11, 2004, 02:01 PM

There is nothing going wrong on your desk.
My 12"-PB that is attached to a 19"-CRT is doing the same as yours.
My PB even sits on an iCurve but the average temperature is reduced by 1�C only.
My real life started at the age of 15: LC III - PowerMac 6100/66 - PowerMac B&W 350 - PowerMac G4 Cube 500 - PowerBook 12" 867 -- PowerBook 17"/1.67 GHz/2 GB RAM.

dwood
Forum Regular
Dec 11, 2004, 04:59 PM

ya, with the lid closed it can't dissipate heat off the top case as well so she's gonna run a little hotter then normal. Also the powerbook's energy settings are going to not be as conservative as they would when unplugged(i assume it's got ac power coming in when attached to the display as well). So the computer is gonna run "faster" therefore get warmer, and more likely kick thee old fans on. So ya, that's expected, no worries.
Powerbook G4 12" 1.5/100gb/768/SD/APX
MacMini goodness... want one? http://tinyurl.com/4dww8

Forum Links
Forum Rules