Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Total n00b Photoshop layering question.

Total n00b Photoshop layering question.
slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2006, 02:26 PM

I want to take 2 simple grayscale photographic images and superimpose them upon each other, but I want to do it so that neither predominates or is obviously "in front." What I've tried thus far is to have each picture on a layer whose opacity is set to around 65%.

At that point they pretty much look evenly superimposed. Until I switch the order of the layering, and I realize it makes a pretty major difference in the look of the composite image.

Is there something I can do so that the overlapping regions of the images looks the same no matter what order the layers are in?

Thanks,
Y.

Sourbook
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 30, 2006, 03:07 PM

Layer > Layer Style > Blending Options. Set Fill Opacity to 50%

slugslugslug  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2006, 03:11 PM

Just tried that, and while it seems to be an improvement, there's still a difference in the effect when I switch the order of the layers.

keekeeree
Mac Elite
Location: Moved from Ohio's first capital to its current capital
Sep 30, 2006, 10:55 PM

Try setting the blending option for both layers to 'Multiply'. This can either be done in the Layers palette or going the Menu bar and clicking Layer > Layer Style > Blending Options...

slugslugslug  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2006, 11:31 PM

Ah, that was it. Thanks very much. Thank you, too, Sourbook, for responding so quickly. This place r0xx0rz.

Forum Links
Forum Rules