Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MBP keeps shutting down running on battery

MBP keeps shutting down running on battery
kerisabe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2006, 04:41 PM

My 17" MBP keeps shutting down on me runnning on just the battery. Its running fine when the ac adaptor is plugged in. This is just happening now! It's on even 2 months old! The computer recognizes the battery, and it's fully charged too.

When I turn the comp on with just the battery, I can hear that apple start sound and the blue light on the latch button, but then after 1 sec it'll shut off...

Called Apple and they said it might be the hardware not recognizing the battery but the computer does recognizes the battery. I just wanna know if this has happened to anyone here yet.. cause im still at school now and dun have time to go to drop by at the Genius Bar till tomorrow
REPLACING THE DEFECTED iMAC 24" ---> 24" Eizo CG241W screen | 8-core 2.8Ghz Mac Pro | 8GB | 320GB 7200rpm | 500GB 7200rpm | NVIDiA 8800GT 512MB |
NEWLY RECRUITED and RETURNED -->24" iMac | 3.06Ghz Core 2 Duo | 4GB | 500 GB 7200rpm | FW400+800 | DL DVD-RW |
RETIRED -->17" GL MacBookPro | 2.16Ghz | 2GB | SD | 120Gb 5400rpm | FW400+800 | DL DVD-RW |

chrismear
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2006, 05:01 PM

What happens if you let it boot up completely with the power adaptor plugged in, and then unplug it? Does it still die instantly?

zac4mac
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2006, 06:18 PM

Repeatedly push the button on your battery as it's starting up. I had problems with my MBPs second battery - first died outright after 3 months and was replaced with another from the bad batch - my indicator lights would dim as the MBP got close to finishing booting, then it would go from 5 LEDs to only one and shut down just before completing the boot. As soon as it was all shut down, the battery again showed 5 LEDs. A quick check of the serial number on the battery showed it was from the bad batch and Apple sent a new one that works fine now.

kerisabe  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 16, 2006, 12:47 AM

Finished the project early today so I did a quick run to the closest Genius Bar, and they checked it out for me. Turned out that it was a bad battery, told em I need it for school tomorrow, so he "secretly" swapped the battery with the demo units there. LOL. That is some customer service. He saved the day!
REPLACING THE DEFECTED iMAC 24" ---> 24" Eizo CG241W screen | 8-core 2.8Ghz Mac Pro | 8GB | 320GB 7200rpm | 500GB 7200rpm | NVIDiA 8800GT 512MB |
NEWLY RECRUITED and RETURNED -->24" iMac | 3.06Ghz Core 2 Duo | 4GB | 500 GB 7200rpm | FW400+800 | DL DVD-RW |
RETIRED -->17" GL MacBookPro | 2.16Ghz | 2GB | SD | 120Gb 5400rpm | FW400+800 | DL DVD-RW |

Forum Links
Forum Rules