Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Intel Mac peripheral compatibility

Intel Mac peripheral compatibility (Page 2)
icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 18, 2006, 11:56 PM

In case anyone cares, Macally finally released Intel drivers for their IceKey keyboard. The keyboards worked OK without drivers, but the volume and eject buttons didn't function.

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
May 25, 2006, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
M-Audio MIDIsport MIDI interface
Epson 1640SU Photo scanner
Canon LiDE 35 scanner
Canon i960 inkjet printer
Samsung ML-4600 laser printer
The Samsung ML-4600 PowerPC drivers for Mac OS X 10.3 work fine on my MacBook.

I haven't tried the other stuff yet.

graziaplena
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 30, 2006, 02:02 AM

Logitech 250 USB headset works in the beginning on my core duo intel mac mini, but, after a while, the audio output stops working upon startup. Switch USB plugs and it works for a while, but same problem starts. To make sound come out, I have to open System Preferences "Sound", check and uncheck "mute" and fudge the volume to get the "balance" sounding right. I have to do it everytime I start up the machine. Could it be that LogitechForceFeedback.kext isn't Universal? But isn't that a game control driver? Anyone up on USB headsets and how they work? Are they dependent on drivers? And if so, which one? And how do you delete these drivers? You can't just toss it in "Trash".

Let me know what you know at [email protected]

By the way, Final Cut Studio works on Intel Mac Mini Core Duo. (at least at the DV throughput level). Some bureaucratic idiot at Apple put the word out on "Apple Knowledge Base" that they don't support it. (while some at Apple told me on the phone that it does).

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2006, 01:30 AM

I just got a pair of Logitech 350 USB headset and it works great on my MacBook. No drivers installed. :-)

SMacSteve
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 14, 2006, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by ero2
hey guys, just bought an Intel Imac and am looking to find out what multibutton BT mouse I should get that is fully compatible with the intel macs?

I'm using the Logitech V270 BT mouse. It works great and no drivers are needed!

schalliol
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2006, 03:42 PM

I just bought an OfficeJet 6310 that is a new product and notes that it works with 10.4, yet it doesn't work with my Intel Mac. I am extremely upset by this. They knew Intel Macs were going to be available when they produced this product and still didn't put it in the system requirements.
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

msuper69
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2006, 10:42 PM

HP Officejet 5610 All-in-One working very nicely here. (Black MacBook).
iomega USB floppy drive good.

schalliol
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2006, 07:24 AM

msuper69, you have no difficulty with the scanning functions?
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

msuper69
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2006, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by schalliol
msuper69, you have no difficulty with the scanning functions?
Everything is working great. Both the previous PowerPC version of HP's supplied software and now the latest Universal Binary version.

I'm very happy with HP's efforts. Their supplied software suite is actually very well done, IMO.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 2, 2006, 09:49 AM

Anyone try the Samsung ML-2010? They have 10.3+ drivers, dated July 2005. I'm guessing they should work fine (given that my old ML-4600 drivers work fine), but it'd be nice to know if someone has successfully tried it.

I'm looking for a new printer for my Mac at work. Mind you I might just wait it out until 2007, for Leopard compatible printers.

fishguy
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 15, 2006, 09:01 PM

More of an annoyance really...My Brother HL-5250DN printer is connected via ethernet. Whenever my Mac Pro falls asleep I am unable to print. The solution is to turn the printer on and off and then I can print again. I have the latest driver. Any thoughts?

Riddler
Forum Regular
Oct 4, 2006, 06:55 PM

Epson Stylus Photo RX640 - Drivers are Universal however the included software (scanning, Easy Photo Print etc) is PowerPC. It does however all work perfectly under Rosetta and to be honest I never noticed until I got info on the Apps!
Riddler

PowerBook G4 1.5GHz + MacPro 2.66 1900XT

thornrag
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 5, 2006, 05:57 PM

The driver for iSub has long been included with OS X primarily because there was no reason to remove it, but it has not been actively maintained since the iSub went out of production. In fact, there are actually a couple of iSub glitches that emerged in later versions of OS X but were never addressed. It has been dying a slow death.

Since the driver was compiled to work on PowerPC hardware, it's completely ignored on x86 systems.

If you manage to activate the iSub using a driver for something like the Logitech headphones, you're not using the software crossover that sent high frequencies to the internal speakers and diverted low frequencies to the sub, you're just sending the whole signal to the sub and cutting out the main speakers, because the Logitech driver thinks the iSub is a set of headphones.

I would speculate that the iSub could still be made to work, since it does seem to behave appropriately as a generic sound output device, but it would require a developer skilled in working with audio hardware and USB, which isn't me.

So far this is the only peripheral I've lost in the intel transition. So long as everything has a native Intel driver, it all seems to work great.

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Nov 26, 2006, 11:20 PM

My old Samsung ML-4600 seems to be dying, so I just bought a Samsung ML-2510 and installed the November 3, 2006 OS X 10.4 drivers.

Doesn't work.

I tried both a PowerPC Cube, and an Intel MacBook. Nope.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 23, 2006, 01:14 PM

PalmConnect USB kit with PalmVx. === NO.

worked in 10.3.x ppc, no go in 10.4.x intel.

PalmOne says the PalmDesktop4.1.2 that supports it should work fine on Intel, and MissingSync says they don't support PalmConnect or PalmVx.

Yes, I know it's old. It's also the Palm that my father in law owns, and I can't ask him to ditch it.

the-editor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 17, 2007, 07:01 AM

Newbie here with a question...any updates in getting the old H/K iSub running on the Intels?
Thanks ahead of time...

stoneage
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 17, 2007, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by the-editor View Post
Newbie here with a question...any updates in getting the old H/K iSub running on the Intels?
Thanks ahead of time...
I bugged and bugged for a driver update from either Apple or HK, but nothing ever happened. I complained to both that it was wasteful and unecessary to replace perfectly good equipment.
Some (very few) got the iSub to work, but you will have to search the forums to find how they did it. Sorry is allI can say. I gave mine to a friend. It works perfectly on his iMac.
W....liar or idiot? Pick two.

aiglimboo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 22, 2007, 09:07 PM

Miglia Evolution TV software buggy + poor customer service + poor manufacturer testing = Bad products.

I bought a Miglia Evolution TV box to convert my Laserdisks to DVDs and had a nightmare!

Buggy Software, sort of UB, bad documentation, poor testing by manufacturer: stay away!

MacIntel owners be notified: Evolution TV application v2.7 is not fully functional on Intel machines. I have a 17" MBP and had lots of difficulties.

Despite claims and descriptions that say it is a universal binary, some features do not work. Installation was not clear thanks to old documentation. Had to install and uninstall 3 times until all plugins were installed. The bundled MovieGate plug-in v1.0.2 (also claimed to be a UB) definitely does not work. It kept telling me my MPEG-2 recordings were Divx or MPEG-4 recordings and rejecting them, and refusing to burn a DVD. Migilia customer support told me I must be doing something wrong because they had no problems. 10 days later they admitted they did their tests on a PPC. That was 2 weeks ago and they still haven't updated the software or reduced the claims of what this product can do. Perhaps Apple is buying them up and that's why they don't want to take the trouble to fix their claims.

Clicking inside of software while recording can lead to app crashing.
Sometimes app had errors while recording.
Out-of-date documentation. Follow the installer, not the manual.

Could be a great item if the company would stand behind what they sell and get the software up to speed or at least not advertise it does things it doesn't.

Only a combination of 2 new beta elements, resulted in being able to burn a DVD from the app. Unless you like having to beta test the products you pay for STAY AWAY.

Evolution TV v 2.7
MG Plugin 1.0.2
MBP 17"
USB 2.0
OS 10.4.8
NTSC video

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 8, 2007, 11:48 AM

The Adobe CS3 beta does NOT work with some Epson scanner TWAIN drivers.

Both the latest universal and older PowerPC drivers work fine (under Rosetta for the latter with Intel Macs) with Adobe CS2 on Intel Macs with OS X 10.4.

See here:

Adobe Forums - Scanning in Photoshop CS3 on an Intel Mac
Adobe Forums - Photoshop CS3 Beta

Apparently, this may be an issue specifically with Intel Macs.

alfredo
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 7, 2007, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by msuper69 View Post
HP Officejet 5610 All-in-One working very nicely here. (Black MacBook).
iomega USB floppy drive good.
My 5610 stopped working when I upgraded to 10.5
( Last edited by alfredo; Nov 7, 2007 at 08:10 PM. Reason: forgot to add 5610)

Tesselator
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 25, 2008, 07:43 PM

Copied from another post:
These all worked for me in 10.4.x ~ 10.5.1 in an Intel Mac Pro v1.1
I can't say about PPC macs because while I own a closet full of them I never used any
for more than the few minutes it took to power them up and test if the system worked.

EDIROL UA-1000 EDIROL UA-1000 24-bit/96kHz 10-IN/10-OUT USB Audio Capture :: Overview
M-AUDIO Ozone M-AUDIO - M-Audio Ozone - USB Audio/MIDI Mobile Workstation
Roland Sound Canvas - SC-88 Pro Sound Canvas SC-88 Pro - Roland
SANWA SUPPLY USB 2.0 12-in-1 Card reader (ADR-MLT10SV) Card Reader
WACOM Intuos2 tablet Wacom | Products | Intuos2 A4 regular
Canon MP-810 http://www.canon.com.au/products/all...e_library.aspx
Canon MX-850 http://www.canon.com.au/ftp/pixma_mx850_techsheet.pdf
( Last edited by Tesselator; Feb 28, 2009 at 06:17 AM. )

cnlevo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 24, 2008, 01:04 AM

HP 5610v All-n-One Printer/Scanner/Fax/Copy with tray and glass.
GE 24n1 Card Reader
Logitech S530 Kb and Mouse Combo
Lite-On SATA 20x DVD burner
Philips DVD Plyaer (USB port to play movies from your mac directly)
GE 4port USB hub

Dex13
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2009, 02:02 PM

instead of creating a new thread i'll try this thread:
Problem is that my lame printer HP DESKJET 812C, stopped working in snow leopard.
It went from 10.4.11 to 10.6
I don't have the OEM DVD for the imac. I have the PowerPC Tiger Install from when I bought it, but those aren't UB. The HP Online Drivers don't work at all.

So I guess I need the HP DESKJET drivers from the Tiger Intel?

Suggestions?

Cold Warrior
Nov 11, 2009, 03:44 PM

Brother 7820N

Works great over USB on Snow Leopard; no issues; Software Update also found version 2.1 Brother drivers; and Brother has a twain scanner driver on their site specifically for Snow Leopard. Installed the twain and I get smooth ADF and flatbed scanning using Image Capture.

Hope that helps anyone out there wondering about their 7820N.

I did not test any functionality over the network.

tralmek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 1, 2010, 07:16 PM

I have a Fargo Persona C30e for printing ID cards for my employees. I've been running it on a Windows XP machine, but I'm upgrading all of our PCs to Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, and there are no drivers that will work for it with that setup, not even hacky ones. I'd like to run it through one of our MacBook Pros, but can't find any drivers for that either. I've been eying the "generic" drivers, but am kind of afraid to touch them since I don't know what they're for exactly.... I'm relatively new to OSX, so I'm still trying to figure things like this out. Has anyone gotten one of these printers to work, or know of some way to do so? Thanks!

I'd like to run it with a uMBP purchased new in November 09, running 10.6.4.

If this should be in a new thread or if there's a better place to ask for help, please let me know!

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2010, 09:57 PM

New thread. This thing probably should have been unstickied about 3 years ago.

Forum Links
Forum Rules