Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > If you could only have one OSX addition...

If you could only have one OSX addition...
kman42
Professional Poster
Apr 21, 2002, 04:31 PM

If you could only have one OSX addition, utility or hack what would it be? Why? I predict DragThing will win hands down, but I've never really gotten into it. I don't know why.

kman

Calli46
Forum Regular
Apr 21, 2002, 04:44 PM

One, just one addition to OSX ?

SPEED, SPEED, SPEED and more SPEED...

That's it.
X0X0X from Calli
--------------------------------
1800 DP/1024MB/180GB

Targon
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 21, 2002, 04:48 PM

Fruit Menu- iCan't be forced to work with apps in another location.

Fotek2001
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 21, 2002, 05:01 PM

Interesting question... I'm not that keen on DragThing either but I do like Fruit Menu. Something I'd really would like to see in Mac OS X is the ability to drag Finder windows into one another in the same way that you can in Adobe applications to create palettes. These could be used as virtual organisers for projects or for keeping separate folders of related materials linked together.

The idea should be fairly self-explanatory... In the diagram above, the blue button will close the current tab. A new tab can be added simply by command dragging an open Finder window into the active area of another window.

I guess you should also be able to save these kinds of palettes if you want to so that you can come back to them at a later date.

Something tells me we'll never see an idea like this happen because I think Adobe has a patent on it (which is why Macromedia have scrapped this interface feature in their apps).

[ 04-21-2002: Message edited by: Fotek2001 ]

Terri
Senior User
Apr 21, 2002, 05:05 PM

Labels in the finder

I've already installed windowshade, ASM and fruit menu.

jwblase
Senior User
Apr 21, 2002, 08:00 PM

I think your paletted window feature has merit. Mozilla has tabbed browsing, this would be very similar.

Could this be implemented in the finder somehow, or could it be a seperate app?

JB
---------------------------
"Time will tell. It always does."
-The Doctor

Brazuca
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2002, 08:45 PM

Originally posted by Fotek2001:
<STRONG>Interesting question... I'm not that keen on DragThing either but I do like Fruit Menu. Something I'd really would like to see in Mac OS X is the ability to drag Finder windows into one another in the same way that you can in Adobe applications to create palettes. These could be used as virtual organisers for projects or for keeping separate folders of related materials linked together.

The idea should be fairly self-explanatory... In the diagram above, the blue button will close the current tab. A new tab can be added simply by command dragging an open Finder window into the active area of another window.

I guess you should also be able to save these kinds of palettes if you want to so that you can come back to them at a later date.

Something tells me we'll never see an idea like this happen because I think Adobe has a patent on it (which is why Macromedia have scrapped this interface feature in their apps).

[ 04-21-2002: Message edited by: Fotek2001 ]</STRONG>

I'm still wondering if that's a good idea. Only if it can be made elegantly. But I'm very interested.

BTW, I love your icons (no, I'm not hitting on you). Could you point me to where to get them?
"It's about time trees did something good insted of just standing there LIKE JERKS!" :)

Fotek2001
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 22, 2002, 05:48 AM

Thanks for the feedback... The icons are mostly from Iconfactory's World of Aqua series. The two toolbar icons on the right are 1) A toolbar script to browse a folder of images in gBrowser 2) A link to Locator (with an icon I made for it).

jock
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 22, 2002, 06:34 AM

Power management for my tibook

Fotek2001
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 22, 2002, 06:37 AM

Power management for my tibook
Yeah good one. I also find that my battery life shows as 98 or 99% even when fully charged or with the powersupply turned on...

siegzdad
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 22, 2002, 07:10 AM

The command-Y "Put Away" keyboard shortcut...
iMac therefor iAm

thePurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2002, 07:57 AM

What exactly did Put Away do?

Fotek2001
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 22, 2002, 09:14 AM

Put Away could be used to Eject disks, unmount hard drives and move things to the trash.

undotwa
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2002, 09:35 AM

Originally posted by Fotek2001:
<STRONG>Put Away could be used to Eject disks, unmount hard drives and move things to the trash.</STRONG>
I'm using OS 9.2 right now and I can confirm that it does not move items to the trash. Rather it 'undos' a move to the desktop, which can be achieved by pressing Apple-Z. Ejecting/unmounting is done by pressing Apple-E... both much more logical.

I think that tabbed window idea is excellent. When you right click a folder, i think three additional options should appear: Open in Same Tab/Window, Open in New Tab, and Open in New Window.

One idea I think would be good is 'Save Window'. Let me explain what this function actually does. It saves the open tabs, window position, window size, and view settings as a 'Window File' which can be saved anywhere like a normal file. Double clicking this window file will restore the tabbed window with all the settings in tact. It allows you to quickly open up your 'work window'.
In vino veritas.

Fotek2001
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 22, 2002, 09:57 AM

One idea I think would be good is 'Save Window'. Let me explain what this function actually does. It saves the open tabs, window position, window size, and view settings as a 'Window File' which can be saved anywhere like a normal file. Double clicking this window file will restore the tabbed window with all the settings in tact. It allows you to quickly open up your 'work window'.
I like it! I've e-mailed Unsanity, the makers or WindowShadeX and FruitMenu about this thread so keep the ideas coming and maybe they'll be inspired to build some of them...

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Apr 22, 2002, 10:07 AM

Originally posted by undotwa:
<STRONG>

I'm using OS 9.2 right now and I can confirm that it does not move items to the trash. Rather it 'undos' a move to the desktop, which can be achieved by pressing Apple-Z. Ejecting/unmounting is done by pressing Apple-E... both much more logical.

I think that tabbed window idea is excellent. When you right click a folder, i think three additional options should appear: Open in Same Tab/Window, Open in New Tab, and Open in New Window.

One idea I think would be good is 'Save Window'. Let me explain what this function actually does. It saves the open tabs, window position, window size, and view settings as a 'Window File' which can be saved anywhere like a normal file. Double clicking this window file will restore the tabbed window with all the settings in tact. It allows you to quickly open up your 'work window'.</STRONG>
Maybe he has a German keyboard
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

cenutrio
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2002, 10:23 AM

Just one is not good enough. Among my preferences speed, USB printing sharing, Fruit Menu, power management for my PBti, and more energy settings such as schedule.

I do not consider DragThing, not elegant, and does not provide any features not included in the Dock or Fruit Menu.

Just my opinion
-original iMac, TiPB 400, Cube, Macbook (black), iMac 24¨, plus the original iPod and a black nano 4GB-

EddieDesignsDotCom
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 22, 2002, 10:34 AM

ability to rename, move and delete files within Open Save dialog boxes.

oh and no more spinning beachballs and a 200% increase in speed.

then and only then I'll be happy(er) with OS X.
http://www.EddieDesigns.com
htttp://www.MasterAtWork.com
-------------
Yeah Right!?
:rolleyes:

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2002, 10:54 AM

Software Base Station.
"I'm an award-winning creative, the rules of society no longer apply to me."

Justin W. Williams
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2002, 11:00 AM

printer sharing.
Justin Williams
Chicks Really Dig Me
AIM - iTikki [NEW AND IMPROVED!]
http://www.tikkirulz.com

P
Apr 22, 2002, 11:09 AM

Originally posted by undotwa:
<STRONG>

I'm using OS 9.2 right now and I can confirm that it does not move items to the trash. Rather it 'undos' a move to the desktop, which can be achieved by pressing Apple-Z. Ejecting/unmounting is done by pressing Apple-E... both much more logical.</STRONG>
In OS &lt;8, Eject Disc left a ghost on the Desktop so you could copy to a disc that was ejected. Put Away did not do this, which why a lot people kept using it even after Eject Disc changed its behaviour. In OS X, this no longer works.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

MinivanH8R
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 22, 2002, 11:10 AM

Well it seems as if DragThing isn't too popular among the people who have posted so far. So, of course I have to come in and say that DragThing, to me, is incredibly useful. It just helps me work so much faster getting to applications.

Although I would say the number one addition for me would be WindowShadeX. I can't stand minimizing windows. In fact in my WindowShade preferences I don't have a single command set to minimize.

Targon
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 22, 2002, 11:29 AM

Eddie Eddie Eddie, good ideas. Not so sure about renaming folders tho. It would be great to have that function but in Windows i find too many times clicking a folder

I want that GOD DAMNED "TRAY" the Workspace Manager used to have in NeXTSTEP. I want left handed scroll bars ala NeXTSTEP i wat i want i want...i is sounding like a biatch now init? haha

Seriously i'd also like to see "pop to the front windows" eg: u have 2 folder windows open, 1 partially covering the other, the one behind in list view with many folder but they are not visible since the front window blocks them. Ok so u need to move a file or copy a file from the front window into a folder of the rear window. But it aint doable is it cos the top window ALWAYS covers the rear window. Enter "Pop to the front windows". U drag a file from the front window an move it to the rear window, u can see the rear window is now selected, this window automagically pops to the front (since it now how a border out line highlight color). You can dow view all the folders in the once rear window an u may now select the correct folder. Man this should have been in the Finder since 8x

Anywayz this thread should be renamed "If you had and endless supply of wishes for X"

Targon

mpmchugh
Forum Regular
Apr 22, 2002, 11:30 AM

Originally posted by EddieDesignsDotCom:
<STRONG>ability to rename, move and delete files within Open Save dialog boxes.
</STRONG>
Default Folder X from St. Clair Software allows you to rename delete and change other file get info attributes from within Open/Save dialogs. Works great in Carbon apps, Cocoa app support is in the works.

-mpm

ppmax
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 22, 2002, 11:40 AM

multiple desktops

the best thing since copy/paste...

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2002, 12:30 PM

Something I never want to live without on any Mac: Shomi

It actually was better implemented in OS9.x as a contextual menu item, but luckily it still works with the Carbon version in conjuntion with the 'Open with' CMM for OSX.

Basically right-click on an image, sound file, font, text file, or entire folder of such- choose Shomi from CMM- and get an instant preview of every item with file labels. Invaluable when you deal with large numbers of image and sound files -for animation- as I do.

gumby5647
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2002, 12:47 PM

Rage drivers
AIM: bmichel5581
MacBook 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM
160GB

spiney
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 22, 2002, 12:52 PM

I defnitely could not live without launchbar.

Yet I truly wish someone would develop virtual desktops.

rlmorel
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 22, 2002, 10:56 PM

Sigh. Spring Loaded Folders. I really do miss em. I used to love navigating with a Windows user looking over my shoulder, or grabbing a file and springing to where I wanted to dump it. I know you can cut and paste (or at least copy and paste) but it seems so pedestrian.

"An argument isn't just saying 'No it isn't'!" "Yes it is!" "NO IT ISN'T!"

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Apr 23, 2002, 12:47 AM

First choice: DefaultFolder integrated into the OS, but implement the toolbar as an NSToolbar rather than the current stick-on thing.

Second choice: WeatherPop folded into the OS (yes, I know, I'm pathetic like that )

Third choice: that nifty tabbed-Finder idea that Fotek proposed.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

lucylawless
Mac Elite
Location: adrift in a sea of decadent luxury and meaningless sex
Apr 23, 2002, 02:34 AM

pop-windows (is that what those tabbed windows at the bottom of the screen were called? I forget, but I want them back) At least in 10.0 you could launch the finder in classic and still use them....
blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. the X makes it sound cool

Forum Links
Forum Rules