Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Blade Runner: The Final Cut

Blade Runner: The Final Cut (Page 3)
Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2008, 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by mrtew View Post
1. I watched the European release today and I have a new opinion on the voiceover. I don't like the folksey 40's tone of it but it's actually kindof necessary to the movie after all. There's a lot of info in the movie that you'd never have a clue about if only saw the director's cuts. Like who that Admiral Adama guy that's always following him around is for example.

2. Once or twice there is a freaky echoing sound effect when they show the city scene with the Asian girl Coke commercial etc. It sounds exactly like it says "E.T. Phone Home". That's not possible is it? Has this ever been discussed. I know the film was released on the same day as E.T. so a reference to it could not have crept in, could it have? Coincidence? It's very clear right after the kissing scene where Decker almost rapes the girl and right before Pris spraypaints the AdamAnt makeup across her eyes. I can't find a tape counter on my PS3 or I'd give a number.
The sound is saying/chanting something in Japanese. Can't remember what it says, though (looked it up once). Definitely not saying "ET phone home."

The voiceover is useless and often plain wrong in areas.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2008, 09:29 PM

---
( Last edited by mrtew; Jan 22, 2008 at 10:46 PM. )

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2008, 11:18 PM

of you being wrong?

mrtew
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2008, 11:25 PM

---
( Last edited by mrtew; Jan 22, 2008 at 10:46 PM. )

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 21, 2008, 11:29 PM

wtf is wrong with you? I'm asking a real question about the movie you dip.... what's your problem?
Guess what? You just got pissed at someone on the internet who you will never ever meet. Your anger got you exactly nowhere. Congrats.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Jan 22, 2008, 01:19 AM

---
( Last edited by mrtew; Jan 22, 2008 at 10:47 PM. )

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 22, 2008, 02:08 AM

I saw Blade Runner in the theatre when I was a kid. I distinctly remember at the time thinking, "What's with this stupid voiceover? Do they really have to talk down to us like that?"

Originally Posted by ReggieX View Post
You missed out, big time. I don't care how big your TV is, it'll never match seeing the brand-new prints in a quality theatre with a great sound system.

I snagged the 5 disc briefcase edition for the Workprint.
Well, I guess I'm not as big of a fan as you are I guess. Anyways, the theatre where they showed it had crappy seats last I checked. However, they may have updated them, as I hadn't been to that theatre in a couple of years. Hopefully they updated their sound system too in the meantime.

In any case, I'm happy with my own setup, which is a 90" screen from 9 feet away, with good speakers... and I don't have to spend $25 for two people and listen to people munching on food behind me.

I've recently ordered a new subwoofer though. SVS PB13-Ultra. My old SVS isn't ideal.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 22, 2008, 08:39 PM

Congrats for being peeved at idiocy?... You and dip-shet have derailed another good thread! Congrats!
What were the other threads? Just asking.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Jan 22, 2008, 08:59 PM

---
( Last edited by mrtew; Jan 22, 2008 at 10:47 PM. )

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 22, 2008, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
I saw Blade Runner in the theatre when I was a kid. I distinctly remember at the time thinking, "What's with this stupid voiceover? Do they really have to talk down to us like that?"

Well, I guess I'm not as big of a fan as you are I guess. Anyways, the theatre where they showed it had crappy seats last I checked. However, they may have updated them, as I hadn't been to that theatre in a couple of years. Hopefully they updated their sound system too in the meantime.

In any case, I'm happy with my own setup, which is a 90" screen from 9 feet away, with good speakers... and I don't have to spend $25 for two people and listen to people munching on food behind me.

I've recently ordered a new subwoofer though. SVS PB13-Ultra. My old SVS isn't ideal.

I love SVS subs, they really make a fantastic product. I used to own one of their Ultra unpowered cylinders, paired with a 600W amp, and it was really impressive for it's size. My dad has it now and it actually pressurizes his modest HT room (12'x18'). I had planned to go with a pair of SVS box subs, but I ended up getting a custom double EBS-aligned box with twin SDX-15s.

Eventually, however, I want a pair of these.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 22, 2008, 11:11 PM

412 ibs of sub? HOLY

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 22, 2008, 11:54 PM

Bah, it's only $30K for a pair. Bargain!

I'm waiting to see what kind of deal I can get on a pair of demos
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Forum Links
Forum Rules