Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Netflix vs. Blockbuster, late '08 edition.

Netflix vs. Blockbuster, late '08 edition.
slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2008, 10:07 AM

A little over a year ago, when I got a Wii, I switched from Netflix to Blockbuster Online. It was a 2-minute bike ride to the nearest Blockbuster store, where I could rent games and exchange movies that I'd got in the mail. Plus I got a monthly coupon good for an in-store game or movie rental.

The store's game selection was really pretty weak, but the location and movie-swapping made it seem worthwhile.

Now I live in a different city and have a PS3. The nearest Blockbuster is much more effort to get to, the game selection still sucks, and all game rentals are only for 3 days. So the advantage over Netflix of having Blockbuster stores seems to be really diminished.

Also, I can watch Blu-ray now. Blockbuster has somewhere around 700 Blu-ray titles, while Netflix's site claims it has > 900. Of course, I have no easy way to figure out who would have more movies I actually want to see, or who'll have a better selection in the future.

Who's got opinions on the current state of the Netflix/Blockbuster competition?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 4, 2008, 12:40 PM

I've always had problems with scratched disks at BB, not to mention god-awful selection in most of the stores near me.

Netflix all the way!

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2008, 01:03 PM

I haven't heard anything good about blockbuster for years. Poor selection, service suspect at times, scratched disks etc.

The only knock against netflix that I heard was that thy slow down the delivery for people who rent a lot of movies.

-Q-
Aug 4, 2008, 01:28 PM

Unless you have a Blockbuster near you with a great selection of movies/games, I've not found it to be worth it. Netflix's movie selection has always been greater and much more efficient for me. They do have some sort of policy about 'slowing down' the exchange of movies for high volume customers, so it's definitely worth it to pay attention to how long it takes movies to reach you when you first start versus how quick it is after a couple months have gone by.

You could also consider getting a Netflix and Gamefly account if you want both games and movies.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 4, 2008, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
The only knock against netflix that I heard was that thy slow down the delivery for people who rent a lot of movies.
I hang on to my discs (2 at a time plan) for about 4 days and then return them, sometimes a little faster. I've never encountered throttled service, and I've only had one movie skip a little on me due to scratches.

Now Blockbuster, jesus, about half the time I rented there the disc would be unreadably scratched, resulting in me DRIVING back to the store for a replacement. With Netflix I say the disc is borked, they send me a new one and I return everything when I'm good and ready.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2008, 02:56 PM

I used to be a Blockbuster Online member. In the beginning, it was great. It was a better deal than Netflix. For the same price as Netflix's plans, you also were able to exchange your mailing for a free in-store movie. Then it went downhill. They raised prices and greatly reduced in-store exchanges. Once they got greedy, I bolted to Netflix.
Vandelay Industries

lavar78
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2008, 03:01 PM

Netflix

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

Brien
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2008, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by lavar78 View Post
Netflix
Blockbuster really, really got crappy. Unless you want a new release (of which they will have thousands of copies that are still somehow never in stock) you're pretty much SOL. Netflix all the way.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2008, 05:02 PM

The library rents out DVDs for Free... I don't know about bluray titles, but for a little effort you can get regualr DVDs free

A lot of systems even have online browsing & holding, so you just have to go pick them up.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 4, 2008, 05:21 PM

Netflix.

I only go to Blockbuster when they're running the "free rental for every netflix tear sheet" promos.
( Last edited by mduell; Aug 4, 2008 at 07:03 PM. )

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2008, 05:35 PM

The problem I had with Blockbuster, was once I used the in-store exchange- the fees applied again and I am just not good at timely returns. My Netflix goes out Monday and returns Wednesday. Fast enough for me unless I watch all the movies in one night (never happens).

Netflix

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 4, 2008, 05:55 PM

I've only been using Netflix for a month now, but I'm absolutely loving it so far.

I haven't stepped foot in a Blockbuster for years. Their treatment of customers has ALWAYS been lacking, so I wrote them off years ago.

iChris
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 5, 2008, 03:22 PM

I too give Netflix the stamp of approval. I don't know about Blueray but surely it can't be too far off.

For games, it's Gamefly which is pretty much the exact same thing but for video games. Soooo much better than Blockbuster. Game selection alone blows Blockbuster out of the water. Plus there's no late fees, you keep games as long as you want just like Netflix movies. Tons of perks, member discounts, keep it options if you want to buy a rental which incidentally are always in great shape (like off the shelf great shape) unlike Blockbuster, game trade-in options, free shipping, free music downloads... the list goes on. They've got everything for every console and you can get games in your queue pre-release which is awesome. If you've got more than one console Gamefly's a no brainer and it'll save you a fortune.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C. Clarke

EndlessMac
Senior User
Aug 5, 2008, 10:04 PM

It sounds like you are comparing Netflix and Blockbuster's walk in stores as opposed to their online service. I've been told that Blockbuster's online rental is about the same as Netflix but I can't say for sure. I do have a Netflix account and it's been great.

There is no way a normal Blockbuster store or any video store can compete with online stores for selection. Online rental stores have all their movies listed for rental and ship their movies nationwide without you realizing it. At a walk in store you have to special order a movie they don't have and then wait for it to deliver which makes it a two step process.

The problem I do have with Netflix is that they don't order enough of the popular movies. It seems that any movie that is slightly popular requires a long wait. Every other movie is available quickly though.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 5, 2008, 11:05 PM

Netflix and Blockbuster Online seem roughly equal to me, having used both.

Gamefly is freaking expensive — twice as much as Netflix or Blockbuster for an equivalent plan. I can buy a new game every month for about the same price and not have to mess around with the mail. Or with Blockbuster Online, I can just go to the store and rent there.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Railroader
Banned
Aug 5, 2008, 11:36 PM

I've had too many bad experiences with Blockbuster and with rude behavior of people working there. I'll probably never go back as long as there's another alternative available. I have a couple Family Video stores nearby so when I can't wait for NetFlix to deliver a movie or I want to rent a game I go there.

I have never had a problem with NetFlix slowing down my rentals. With my viewing habits I usually have a pattern of a new movie and then an older movie queued. We also are on the 4 movie at a time plan and my wife and I each have separate queues and we each get two of the four. She takes a week to watch a movie sometimes. I probably watch two movies a week, maybe more.

iChris
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 6, 2008, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Netflix and Blockbuster Online seem roughly equal to me, having used both.

Gamefly is freaking expensive — twice as much as Netflix or Blockbuster for an equivalent plan. I can buy a new game every month for about the same price and not have to mess around with the mail. Or with Blockbuster Online, I can just go to the store and rent there.
A new game every month for $15 or $22? Really? Where are you buying new games? I have the 2 games at a time plan with gamefly and I get 3 months of as many games as I can play for about what it costs to buy 1 new. Are we talking about the same service?

1 game at a time $15/mo.
2 games at a time $22/mo.

1 brand new game off the shelf = $60

Add to this the inevitable game you thought was going to be all the rage and just isn't and the freedom to seal it back up and toss it in the mail only to have it replaced by a new one and... well... the service has just paid for itself. Throw in a few game trade-ins and you're looking at least a couple of gamefly months free. Blockbuster is expensive. $9 for a 5 day rental? Plus the gas I gotta use up to drive myself there for a 50/50 shot at getting what I'm after? I'll pass.

I don't think you can compare movie rentals to game rentals. Games are a totally different animal with wildly different price points. I think it's a misconception that Gamefly is expensive. I mean, gaming is expensive period. You drop anywhere from $200 to $500 on a console and then you've gotta shell out $60 a pop for new games? I just can't hang. Gamefly is pretty much the only way I've been able to afford to play anything new or noteworthy.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C. Clarke

macintologist
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2008, 12:54 AM

I just use my local library. I go online and see what they have, then I put a hold and they email me when it is ready for me to pick up. Cost? Nothing.

iChris
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 6, 2008, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by macintologist View Post
I just use my local library. I go online and see what they have, then I put a hold and they email me when it is ready for me to pick up. Cost? Nothing.
Sounds good in theory... I live in New York so the odds of ever finding anything in a place the general public has access to is highly unlikely. I'd totally do that if I thought I'd actually be able to but seeing how I spend the better part of my days in front of a computer it's a lot easier for me to just get online and rent games from gamefly.

Still love NY Public Library though... just can't count on it for games or movies.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 6, 2008, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by iChris View Post
A new game every month for $15 or $22? Really? Where are you buying new games?
Any place that has a used games section. I've got an EB Games and GameStop within 10 minutes that both have a pretty big range of used games, plus Amazon does as well. (Perhaps the "new game" phrasing was confusing. I meant buying a different used game every month.)

Blockbuster is expensive. $9 for a 5 day rental? Plus the gas I gotta use up to drive myself there for a 50/50 shot at getting what I'm after? I'll pass.
$0 for a five-day rental with Blockbuster Online, and a 100% chance of getting the game if I call beforehand and ask them to hold it.

I don't think you can compare movie rentals to game rentals. Games are a totally different animal with wildly different price points. I think it's a misconception that Gamefly is expensive. I mean, gaming is expensive period. You drop anywhere from $200 to $500 on a console and then you've gotta shell out $60 a pop for new games?
Yes, but I could potentially enjoy a game for several hours a day for 15 years. Not even Terminator 2 offers that kind of replayability. Amortized over the total time I spend with them, games usually work out cheaper than movies. But we're talking about a rental service here where, rather than 20 years, you get maybe a couple of weeks to enjoy a game if you ever want to play anything else. Since it doesn't give anything extra to justify the higher price like video games do, it's basically the same service as Netflix in my mind, only I'm still paying for Netflix and now I have to pay twice more again.

But I guess maybe if you normally burn through games a lot faster than I do, it might be a good deal.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 6, 2008, 10:18 AM

That's my stance on Gamefly too, I tend to want to play games again and again over many years. Not to mention I would probably only play one game every month or two months so a Netflix-type rental service would be pointless for me.

iChris
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 6, 2008, 11:33 AM

Okay, I was wondering if you had some secret you were keeping! I get it now. But yes, it does all depend on your gaming habits so I can see where you're coming from. I've got a Wii, a PS3 and a PSP (yes I have my geek card handy) so gamefly works great for me. I'm always wanting to get my hands on the new stuff and tend to cycle through games fairly quick. Some months are better than others but in the end it still ends up benefitting my wallet.

When I do end up buying something I just buy it from them. That said, if you buy used, their online store is worth a glance. You don't have to be a member to buy games from them and they have some pretty smokin deals. I'm pretty sure shipping is free too. I know it is for me but I think it might be for anyone regardless of whether or not you're a member but you'd have to check. Games are always in excellent shape too which is nice. I don't know who they've got in charge of quality control but both Netflix and Blockbuster should take note.

andi*pandi
Aug 6, 2008, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by macintologist View Post
Our library charges a dollar per dvd, which is still a deal. Sometimes kids movies are a little scratched up.

Haven't set foot in blockbuster in a loooong time, but renting Wii games is sounding good... I'd like to try before I buy. $15 for a rental at gamefly? that sounds steep.

iChris
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 6, 2008, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Our library charges a dollar per dvd, which is still a deal. Sometimes kids movies are a little scratched up.

Haven't set foot in blockbuster in a loooong time, but renting Wii games is sounding good... I'd like to try before I buy. $15 for a rental at gamefly? that sounds steep.
Well not exactly. It's $15/mo. for one game out at a time so, what that means is that if you finish up a game in a week, you can send it back and they'll send the next one in your queue and that's all included in your $15/mo. setup. It works just like the Netflix 1 at a time unlimited plan. So, if for example, you rent something that you end up not liking very much you can send it back and they fire off the next one. You could do that any number of times. Either way, you're still paying $15/mo.

I'm a try before you buy person myself. $60 is a lot of money to throw away on mediocre games. I want to get in there and take it for a spin first.

Forum Links
Forum Rules