Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > 1and1 web host timeout during FTP uploads (all clients)

1and1 web host timeout during FTP uploads (all clients)
Since EBCDIC
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 19, 2006, 02:58 PM

Note: This is a follow-up to Comcast cable timeout during FTP uploads (all clients), which has been obsoleted through testing.

Details: I'm mirroring my local web content to my public server. Perhaps 6000 files. This has always worked with one web host. I've just switched to 1and1 for hosting and all of a sudden I'm getting a timeout (Interarchy says ETIMEDOUTErr (-3259)) after some amount of comparing and uploading.

Analysis: This happens with the latest versions of both Interarchy and Panic Transmit. I haven't grabbed the stopwatch yet, but it fails after several minutes (at least). I checked the sysctl timeout value (which I can't find here) and it was 144000 or somesuch.

Isolating the problem: Testing over Comcast cable and SBC Yahoo! DSL yields the same result. This points to the problem being somewhere at 1and1. I've sent email to both Stairways (Interarchy) and 1and1. Follow-ups will happen here.

If you have any suggestions, they'd be gratefully appreciated. Thanks.
Since EBCDIC
Using Macs since they were Lisas.

John Strung
Senior User
Jan 19, 2006, 04:08 PM

Do you have your FTP clients set to Passive Mode (PASV)? If not give that a try.

I seem to remember having had a similar problem in the dark distant past and it turned out to be caused by the drivers for my third party ethernet card not being compatible with a system software upgrade. Unless you are using third party ethernet or wireless cards, that does not seem likely.

If you were having problems on only the DSL, I would suggest reducing your MTU to 1492 from the default 1500, but 1500 should not be a problem on cable.

How are you connecting? Wireless or with an ethernet cable? Any possibility of a bad cable?

Since EBCDIC  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 19, 2006, 04:51 PM

Yes, it is set to passive.

I'm connecting via wired Ethernet (from my 1.5 GHz Al. PowerBook) through two completely different networks, one at home, one at my son's school. The failure is the same on both networks.

No third-party anything. Vanilla 10.4.4. Completely different cables. The only two common things are the PowerBook and the host, 1and1.com.

No response yet from either Stairways or 1and1.
Since EBCDIC

Since EBCDIC  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 20, 2006, 12:39 PM

A good reply from the Interarchy folks:

It appears that it goes through the listings, and eventually a listing fails with the timeout error.

The likely cause it the server or a NAT gateway or router running out of ports or information to store data about ports.

I would suggest trying to toggle to PORT mode, or better yet, switch to SFTP which does not use multiple different connections like FTP does.
(Note: I'm running at least one test case without a NAT gateway.) Since I trust the email's author, having been a happy Anarchie/Interarchie customer since the beginnings of the modern Internet, I'm heading to the "better yet" suggestion: SFTP.
As I type I'm watching an SFTP session (as easy to set up in Interarchy as FTP) grind away. Since there's 6000 files it's taking a bit. Follow-up to, um, follow. :-)
Since EBCDIC

Forum Links
Forum Rules