Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > 733MHz Low End At MWNY! High End, just you wait....

733MHz Low End At MWNY! High End, just you wait.... (Page 2)
Ken_F2
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2001, 10:50 AM

mikerally,

At Machack last month, they already demonstrated the SoftMac XP software running Office2001 for Macintosh under 9.1. The real question isn't whether their PowerPC emulation works, but whether its fast enough to be usable.

Those attending MW NY should find out if their performance claims (PowerPC 500MHz on a "Palomino" Athlon 1.2GHz) are real or exaggerated. It will be interesting to see whether or not the emulation is sufficiently fast to make real work in iMovie2 possible.

<Jeve Stobs>
Jul 8, 2001, 04:35 PM

Atomic Beat Boy
Jul 8, 2001, 07:24 PM

Originally posted by pele:
<STRONG>mikerally, I think you're not getting it. Nobody's talking about 68K emulation here.</STRONG>
In the FAQ for their current 68K emulator it basically says "Who needs PPC?". So, er, they were.

<STRONG>These guys are claiming they will launch a product at MWNY that will be able to run PPC software at iMac speeds, they're also saying that with further optimisations and upcoming X86 processors, it will reach the performance of a 1 Ghz G3 by year's end. So iMovie and iTunes and Final Cut Pro are exactly what these guys are saying their emulator will be able to run.</STRONG>
Those apps are all heavily AltiVec enhanced. even if it can manage 1 GHz G3, it's not going to come close to a 1 GHz G4 (And that's assuming their claims are true). Steve Jobs claims FCP (and therefore iMovie) runs 60% faster on a G4, and I get at least that for ripping MP3's in iTunes.

<STRONG>Their claims may be bogus, I'll be at MWNY to see if they are in a couple of weeks.</STRONG>
Have you seen their website? The guy has some very odd views on the computer world (see above), so make up your own mind.

dfbennett
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 8, 2001, 07:31 PM

Originally posted by &lt;Jeve Stobs&gt;:
<STRONG>http://www.macparc.ch/secret_about_box/</STRONG>
Whether it is real or not that is a very cool case design.
Regards,
Dave

tacojohnellenich
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 8, 2001, 07:32 PM

Sweet!!! Quad- that would rock- maybe quads for new servers, but the new servers must have rack mount drives if apple really want to get serious about that. Quads would be a good thing though, exp. for pros!!

tyris
Forum Regular
Jul 8, 2001, 07:50 PM

Originally posted by dfbennett:
<STRONG>

Whether it is real or not that is a very cool case design.</STRONG>
without any external drive bays
although it is a nice design.

Phoible
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 8, 2001, 08:42 PM

Isn't the 7450 not designed for more than two processors? I believe that I read that somewhere.

Ken_F2
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2001, 09:41 PM

Isn't the 7450 not designed for more than two processors?
Yes, the 7450 supports symmetrical multiprocessing, or SMP, and thus dual processors can be used in a single system. The 7450 does not support symmetrical multithreading, known as SMT, which is a newer and more innovative technology; SMT has nothing to do with the use of multiple processors, but rather helps to make each individual chip more efficient in operation.

Ken_F2
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2001, 09:50 PM

In the FAQ for their current 68K emulator it basically says "Who needs PPC?". So, er, they were.
Well, they seemed to have changed their tune...now that they can actually do PPC emulation.

Those apps are all heavily AltiVec enhanced. even if it can manage 1 GHz G3, it's not going to come close to a 1 GHz G4 (And that's assuming their claims are true). Steve Jobs claims FCP (and therefore iMovie) runs 60% faster on a G4, and I get at least that for ripping MP3's in iTunes.
iTunes doesn't use Altivec much at all, except in encoding, where it gets a 15% or so boost (from Altivec). iMovie2 and Final Cut Pro use Altivec for some operations, but still offer comparable responsiveness on a 450MHz G3 and G4 (10-15% difference). One must realize that much of the "Altivec enhancement" is simply Apple PR BS; as sites like XLR8YOURMAC.COM have found in their tests, Apple's applications don't make extensive or optimal use of Altivec (although that will probably change over time).

I personally think the "1Ghz G3 performance" claim for a 1.5-2.0GHz PC is utter BS, but if they can deliver the stable performance of a 400-500MHz iMac, then that would prove quite interesting.

[ 07-08-2001: Message edited by: Ken_F2 ]

Macintosh  (op)
Banned
Jul 9, 2001, 12:45 AM

I started this topic.

<cmcleod design>
Jul 12, 2001, 05:56 AM

Originally posted by Macintosh:
<STRONG>I started this topic. </STRONG>
we know and we don't care. I am sick of your lame attempts to up your post count. A high post count means nothing around here in terms of respect unless you have something worthwhile to say. It seems you don't.

Forum Links
Forum Rules