Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Women, Gay, & Transgender Rights: A Thread of Religious Freedom and Bathroom Safety

Women, Gay, & Transgender Rights: A Thread of Religious Freedom and Bathroom Safety (Page 10)
Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 3, 2017, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
I do, but I don't lose my mind over him. You give the guy rent-free space in your head, 24/7. It infects everything you try to discuss, making your arguments worthless. You automatically just blame Trump and shut down. It's uncanny.
The burden of being in charge means that everything that goes wrong is your fault.

Again, we finally get to something useful. Let's say 98% of the time you're right, that person is fine, but what about the other 2% when they aren't. They're in a combat situation and can't simply be extracted, have no access to the therapies they need, are under constant enemy fire; bullets whizzing by, constantly suppressing the fight or flight response, and are going to be in that position for another 1-2 weeks? This isn't uncommon in war, 99% of it is waiting and anxiety over waiting, while staying in the same place for extended periods of time, oftentimes without external contact.

Hell, even people who aren't on hormone replacement treatments sometimes go nuts, they're just a lot less likely to do so. If hormone-triggered temporary insanity is enough of a consideration to be used as part of a murder trial defense, when the person wasn't even in combat, it's certainly enough to give a commander cause for serious concern regarding his/her units. If the military wants to create a strictly non-combat MOS, that's another thing, but I have a feeling that won't be good enough for many who are hot for full TG integration, due to it being the current cause du jour.
If people on hormones are psychotic or at least erratic 2% of the time, I think we'd hear a lot more about it. I know you just used that figure as a demo so it just ends up as a question of where the line is drawn. Of course what you(we) haven't addressed yet is that you don't have to be on hormone therapy to be TG. Trump could have chosen to ban soldiers on hormone therapy from positions where they might endanger others rather than a blanket ban on anyone TG from any position at all. This fact alone demonstrates a total lack of consultation with medical experts or military experts (not to mention political and PR experts) and makes it perfectly reasonable for me to blame Trump himself in this instance.
It was an unprofessional, rushed, unofficial, ill-considered, poorly thought through, poorly worded 'announcement', all of which is rapidly becoming the hallmark of Trump's presidency. You might even say its the sort of erratic behaviour in a position of great responsibility that this dubious ban should supposedly seek to avoid. Has Trump himself even offered such an explanation for the ban or is it just his apologists?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

andi*pandi
Aug 4, 2017, 10:16 AM

Which is more stressful for someone, living as someone they are not, or going thru transition?

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2017, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Which is more stressful for someone, living as someone they are not, or going thru transition?
or being shot at while having hot flashes?
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2017, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
If people on hormones are psychotic or at least erratic 2% of the time, I think we'd hear a lot more about it. I know you just used that figure as a demo so it just ends up as a question of where the line is drawn. Of course what you(we) haven't addressed yet is that you don't have to be on hormone therapy to be TG.
Yes, you do. Otherwise you're just a crossdresser who's likely gay, and those aren't blocked from the armed forces at all. Transitioning means you're working to become, or maintain, the other sex.

Trump could have chosen to ban soldiers on hormone therapy from positions where they might endanger others rather than a blanket ban on anyone TG from any position at all. This fact alone demonstrates a total lack of consultation with medical experts or military experts (not to mention political and PR experts) and makes it perfectly reasonable for me to blame Trump himself in this instance.
It was an unprofessional, rushed, unofficial, ill-considered, poorly thought through, poorly worded 'announcement', all of which is rapidly becoming the hallmark of Trump's presidency. You might even say its the sort of erratic behaviour in a position of great responsibility that this dubious ban should supposedly seek to avoid. Has Trump himself even offered such an explanation for the ban or is it just his apologists?
and that's just more of your proof-barren, blind vitriol. You don't have a clue if he talked w/ experts, but would you like to bet Mattis did, right before he indefinitely delayed the initiative in the first place?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 5, 2017, 11:58 AM

I didn't say anything about what Mattis did or didn't do. I know nothing about him so I have no judgement either way on his character. Thats not the case with Trump who has publicly stated that he primarily consults himself on various issues, particularly military ones. Also the military have said he didn't consult them so its hardly a stretch to think he didn't consult anyone else with a clue. His entire MO has involved replacing experts with yes men and cronies FFS.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2017, 12:18 PM

Your food for thought of the day from a leader in fake news, The Peoples Cube.
http://thepeoplescube.com/peoples-bl...st-t19620.html

According to our greatest Hollywood talent and social justice warrior Lena Dunham, it is time for all correct (thinking) acting persons to identify, chronicle and report anything that can be construed to be demeaning to our most protected class of victims, the transgendered community.

As such is the new social responsibility, I must regrettably file a formal and public violation against Lena Dunham and HBO for their trans-fascist television show "GIRLS".

The presumption that the female leads are "girls" is based on their biological mis-identification, which is a bigoted and trans-phobic act of social cruelty and ignorance.

I have learned through anonymous sources that HBO has been conducting casting calls for "men" and "women" for the past six seasons, whereby biological men and women have been turned away because of the strict and insensitive guidelines established by Ms. Dunham and the network producers.

Penis-possessing persons have been turned away from roles that required "female" leads, and vagina-possessing persons who lack the extra appendage have also been reportedly denied "male" roles.

It is unfortunate to have to file a social justice violation against one of our most celebrated warriors but we must all hold each other accountable to this new paradigm.

It is called progress.
45/47

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2017, 01:34 PM

I didn't say anything about what Mattis did or didn't do. I know nothing about him so I have no judgement either way on his character. Thats not the case with Trump who has publicly stated that he primarily consults himself on various issues, particularly military ones.
I've looked but can't find it, so if you could direct me to that quote (where he doesn't consult anyone but himself on military matters)...

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 5, 2017, 02:51 PM

There was one where he said he talks to himself because he has a big brain. It was a while back.
Some military guy came out after the ban tweet and said they hadn't been consulted or notified or that the ban wouldn't be put into practice on the basis of a tweet or something like that. It all strongly implies they didn't know The Donald was even discussing it with himself.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2017, 03:49 PM

There was one where he said he talks to himself because he has a big brain. It was a while back.
Some military guy came out after the ban tweet and said they hadn't been consulted or notified or that the ban wouldn't be put into practice on the basis of a tweet or something like that. It all strongly implies they didn't know The Donald was even discussing it with himself.
I'm certain you believe that, I'll just need to see it, within context.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 6, 2017, 07:00 AM

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2017, 07:13 AM

Yeah... about that, he specifically said, "I talk to a lot of people, I listen to a lot of people", so it's hardly just, "he primarily consults himself". You just refuted your own argument. Also, that was during the primaries and quite some time ago, before have access to people like Mattis, one of the greatest military minds of our time. So, I believe that was the last of your points?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 6, 2017, 10:58 AM

He said that as a bullshit afterthought. You can tell by the way he casually glossed over it.

I love the way you get to make grand extrapolations that go from a handful of OTT feminists being pro-hijab to a left wing extremist totalitarian regime, and the rest of us aren't even allowed to call a professional liar a liar.

Your judgment of people, politics and the world in general is terrible. I pity you for that. You are a lot like Trump in many ways, except I don't pity him at all, though I suspect one day I might.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2017, 11:34 AM

He said that as a bullshit afterthought. You can tell by the way he casually glossed over it.

I love the way you get to make grand extrapolations that go from a handful of OTT feminists being pro-hijab to a left wing extremist totalitarian regime, and the rest of us aren't even allowed to call a professional liar a liar.

Your judgment of people, politics and the world in general is terrible. I pity you for that. You are a lot like Trump in many ways, except I don't pity him at all, though I suspect one day I might.
There's no such thing as mind-reading, you don't have telepathy, stop acting like you do. I pity you in general and hope that someday you get over your TDS, it's ruining your mind. Is Trump shit? Of course he's shit. I've never said he isn't, but that's how I view 99% of national politicians (and billionaires I've met). Is he as bad as you think? I have a tough time believing anyone is as bad as you believe Trump to be.

That's why it's so difficult to take you extreme anti-Trumpers seriously, and why I don't even try anymore. I honestly believe that, if you had incurable cancer, and he could cure it with a mere touch of his hand, people like you would rather die.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 7, 2017, 11:25 AM

There's no such thing as mind-reading, you don't have telepathy, stop acting like you do. I pity you in general and hope that someday you get over your TDS, it's ruining your mind. Is Trump shit? Of course he's shit. I've never said he isn't, but that's how I view 99% of national politicians (and billionaires I've met). Is he as bad as you think? I have a tough time believing anyone is as bad as you believe Trump to be.

That's why it's so difficult to take you extreme anti-Trumpers seriously, and why I don't even try anymore. I honestly believe that, if you had incurable cancer, and he could cure it with a mere touch of his hand, people like you would rather die.
Its not mind-reading, its called judgement. I don't see you criticising people who voted for him because he 'is honest'. Its demonstrably clear that he isn't. I watch him and his expressions and mannerisms, I listen to what he says and how he says it, I look at the decisions he has made in the past and the way he behaves and yes, there is some extrapolation, but its not mind-reading and its not unreasonable.
Its great that you dislike or distrust 99% of politicians, I do too, but Trump is much worse than most of them. Most of them have some sense of shame, have a conscience, will resign if they get caught doing something wrong, or admit a mistake and ask for forgiveness. Trump is a moron who thinks he's smart. Just like most of his fans. Its a very dangerous combination in someone in power. He doesn't have the power of a dictator, and I don't believe he is smart enough to become one, but he really does seem to think and operate like one. Firing people who question or threaten to investigate you unfavourably? Classic dictator move. Most dictators are far worse than 99% of politicians I hope you'll agree.

As much as an entire generation raised under Democrats will be a prospect that terrifies you to your core, America needs it to properly marginalise the backwards social and political views that are holding it back. You had a chance to decimate that extremist intolerance, wilful scientific ignorance and maybe religious fundamentalism that should have no place in a modern developed nation and Trump has set you back 20 years or more. You should be furious with him and about him for that.
( Last edited by Waragainstsleep; Aug 7, 2017 at 07:55 PM. )

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 7, 2017, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
Your food for thought of the day from a leader in fake news, The Peoples Cube.
Your obsession over Hollywood and YouTube stars is baffling.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 7, 2017, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Your obsession over Hollywood and YouTube stars is baffling.
It's not really. It's outrage culture. Since mainstream liberals don't provide the outrageous headlines he's looking for he needs to go deeper. We all do it on some level. Though I found my life improved once I stopped paying attention to the ridiculous spin on Fox & Friends.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 7, 2017, 10:34 PM

Sharia law loving Muslims in the US now more likely to approve of homosexuality than evangelicals. That's a 2017 mind-****.

http://www.pewforum.org/2017/07/26/p...cans-04new-06/

They're more tolerant than black protestants, too.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 8, 2017, 11:58 AM

50 is larger than 47.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 8, 2017, 08:45 PM

I wasn't aware that already-integrated Muslims were an issue.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 9, 2017, 04:45 PM

Oops.
45/47

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 9, 2017, 04:49 PM

^^ Okay, that's funny.

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Aug 9, 2017, 05:53 PM

^^ Okay, that's funny.
Even more funny/ironic is that only one of those sets would actually do its job.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 9, 2017, 06:05 PM

It was reassigned.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 9, 2017, 07:03 PM

I love it.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2017, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by Snow-i View Post
Even more funny/ironic is that only one of those sets would actually do its job.
Yeah, that's what was funny. Only one set will actually "click", the others just "clunk". The best you could do is tie them together, Dr. Grant-in-a-helicopter-style.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2017, 03:12 AM

There is no binary system!

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 30, 2017, 02:51 PM

Judge blocked transgender ban from going into effect

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 24, 2018, 12:09 AM

Trump issues Transgender ban.
Gets sued.
In court, claims he acted on the advice of experts.
Court says, produce the deliberations with these experts.
DOJ says, nuh uh, he doesn't need to.
A few days later Trump coincidentally revokes his old EO and issues this:

Forum Links
Forum Rules