Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > What should I tell Apple about my broken keyboard?

What should I tell Apple about my broken keyboard?
Avenir
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2003, 05:22 PM

My TI has a bad screen (neon green line down the middle of it), something which I had planned to get fixed when I had the chance. In the time sice then, my DVD/CD has stopped woking, the tackpad sticks quite a bit.

Just last week, the keyboad started acting funny. Basically, it acts as if the shift key is randomly being pressed. I realized it had to be hardware (USB keyboads worked fine, as did VNC'ing into the machine). I also figued out that if I uplugged the keyboad from the computer's board, and the replugged it in again, it would work fine for a few hours. Sometimes simply pessing down slightly on the connector, without actually uplugging it from the machine would make it work, but only sometimes.

Yesterday, I uplugged the keyboard, and must have tugged a little too hard, because the cable tore slightly through the first cicuit line. Now, my N R 9 V and 'up' and 'down' keys don't wok at all, but the rest do (I wrote this with a gaphics tablet, and the rest of the working keys).

I have Apple Care, so the rest is covered, but do I tell Apple about the torn cable? Or do I just let them figure out why the keys don't work? Basically, it shouldn't matter, because it was a warranty issue in the first place, but all the same. Do I play dumb if they call back and metion it? Do I the say, "ok, you got me, but here's why it was still your fault?" Or do I just lay it all out to begin with?

Alight, sorry that was such a long post, lemme know what you all think.

spike[at]avenirex[dot]com | Avenirex
IM - Avenirx | ICQ - 3932806

Hamburglar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 21, 2003, 12:28 AM

Originally posted by Avenir:
I have Apple Care, so the rest is covered, but do I tell Apple about the torn cable? Or do I just let them figure out why the keys don't work?
I think the thing you need to worry about here is whether going into the keyboard violated your warrantee, and I'm not too familiar with the ones around these days - if you didn't violate it though, I would be honest.

Hope that helps at least some...Just MHO...

forcelite
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 21, 2003, 12:32 AM

To be safe I would not say you messed with it.

they will figure it out.
Force

Avenir  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2003, 01:12 AM

thanks for the advice, I'll post when it all gts taken care of

spike[at]avenirex[dot]com | Avenirex
IM - Avenirx | ICQ - 3932806

Forum Links
Forum Rules