Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > random TIVO question...

random TIVO question...
MOTHERWELL
Senior User
Feb 10, 2004, 03:46 PM

I am going into production on a documentary and some of my b roll will come from TV. I would like be able to record with tivo and then dump it onto my mac or even an external HD. Is this possible?

forcelite
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 10, 2004, 04:49 PM

possible but tivo people dont want you to do this so it requires "hacking"

There are whole forums dedicated to this, google it
Force

-Q-
Feb 10, 2004, 04:53 PM

If you want to extract the video from a TiVo, you're really going to have to find a Series 1. The Series 2 TiVos are proving to be a real pain when it comes to video extraction.

You may be better off getting a TV Tuner card like the Alchemy TV or EyeTV.

MOTHERWELL  (op)
Senior User
Feb 10, 2004, 05:17 PM

EyeTv seems like a better/easier idea. Does anyone have any eperience with those things? I had the Formac Studio when it first was released a few years ago, but i took it back becuase I thought it was junk. Probably have better software/compatibility now though.

-Q-
Feb 10, 2004, 05:44 PM

new newton
Banned
Feb 10, 2004, 08:16 PM

ReplayTV is outstanding for these sorts of things. The mpegs are incredibly portable and accessible.

fulmer
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2004, 10:51 PM

Originally posted by new newton:
ReplayTV is outstanding for these sorts of things. The mpegs are incredibly portable and accessible.
I have one too and love it. However, last I checked it is a very convoluted process to take the replaytv mpeg2 file (which only vlc can play) and convert it into something compatible and editable (with video and sound).

MOTHERWELL  (op)
Senior User
Feb 10, 2004, 11:06 PM

Alchemy TV seems like it is pretty good - I have a G4 now, but I would get the new card so when I get a G5 I can still use it. I really wish they made an external version though - my laptop is new/quicker than my PowerMac.

Plus I don't have to pay any monthly fees. This documentary is for school, so it's going to be a pretty quick process.

fulmer
Professional Poster
Feb 11, 2004, 01:07 AM

hmm. It looks like a new version of mpeg2works will convert replaytv video files into something standards-compliant and DVD- or VCD-burnable. This is very sweet. But it's not available in the demo, so there's no way for me to test it.

But this sounds soooo sweet.

(sorry if I'm OT.)

new newton
Banned
Feb 11, 2004, 01:23 AM

Pretty cool, eh?

Motherwell, if you're doing a documentary I'm going to assume you've got access to a DV camcorder, right? Why not just record the segment you want on that then dump it onto the Mac? If you don't have one, it shouldn't be too hard to borrow or rent one.

vasu
Senior User
Feb 11, 2004, 09:42 AM

both Gumby and RTVtools + RTVToolshell will allow you to take the replay mpeg2 and make it something that any program can use.

To be honest though, just taking a replay mpeg and dumping it into quicktime player or toast worked fine and burnt fine.

MOTHERWELL  (op)
Senior User
Feb 11, 2004, 12:24 PM

I would rather have the tuner give me a DV file instead of an MPEG2. I know the conversion is simple, but I will be shooting a lot of DV footage too. Everything will be converted to mpeg2 at the end for the DVD.

I am leaning towards AlchemyTV - it's not expensive like the Formac Studio, which most people are unhappy with -- but it can to tivo style recording.

Forum Links
Forum Rules