Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Word of warning about 12" PB DIY RAM installation

Word of warning about 12" PB DIY RAM installation
Ken6800
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 17, 2004, 11:28 AM

Just thought I would give a word of warning following an attempt to replace the RAM by myself on my 12" PB. Okay, so I got a 512MB module, popped open the battery and brought out my 6-screwdriver set to undo the screws. Those darn screws just would not shift, although to be honest I did not read the panel removal instructions in the manual and use a Philips no. 0 as advised.

After much grunting I made the nearly fatal mistake of forcing the four screws, and as a result nearly completely wore out the screw-heads. These screws are TINY and EXTREMELY EASY to break, I cannot emphasise this enough!!! I nearly ended up destroying the screws, thereby completely restricting any access to my 12" internals, and God knows how much use Applecare would be then.

In the end I brought the PB back to my Apple center where the guy tut-tutted and said any more damage and I would have seriously voided my warranty, as the screw-heads would have been damaged. He then did the installation for me.

So, in short NEVER force those screw-heads if they won't budge, and use a good philips 0 or 00 screwdriver to save you a lot of hassle! DONT attempt to use a flathead like I did!

Or do what I did and get someone else to do it for you.

Ann
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 17, 2004, 12:30 PM

Thanks for the warning, I'm about to add a 512MB stick to my 12" PB later this week.
Powerbook G4 12" 1.33GHz
768MB/60GB/Superdrive

Ken6800  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 17, 2004, 12:37 PM

No problem. Just re-read my post, and I made it out to be quite a nightmare. It was at the time, but when I saw the guy doing it, he had the right screwdriver, anti-static mat and he didn't have much trouble at all, but as I said, he did state that if I had forced it any more I could have really rendered the screws unusable, and that would have been a REAL big problem.

So use the right size screwdriver, anti-static precautions and you should be good to go! And don't force it!

Tenacious Dyl
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 17, 2004, 12:43 PM

Number one rule in taking apart or upgrading your Mac... Don't be afraid to step back.

If you ever reach a point where you say "I dont know..." or "What do I..."

Just step back, talk to some people that know your model, or refer to places like these forums. I have had some close calls in the past!
yep.

Ken6800  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 17, 2004, 12:48 PM

Having said all that, I certainly don't regret investing in the RAM. It really is a noticeable difference!!!

You're right though, Tenacious, thank goodness my impatience didn't cause a major calamity!

Holigen
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2004, 01:24 PM

I thought that it was the keyboard that you pulled out... At least thats how it is on my friends iBook... Wow, Im confused now. Time to consult the manual!

.: 15" PowerBook G4 - 1.5 GHz - 512 MB RAM - ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128 MB VRAM - 80 GB HD @ 5400 rpm :.

t4r1q
Jul 17, 2004, 05:31 PM

iBook ram slots are located under the keyboard, but PowerBook ram slots are accessed by removing a cover located on the underside where the battery is.

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 18, 2004, 12:16 AM

I'm glad you didn't strip them m8 that would have been a big no no. Did you really try to use a flathead on philups screws though? Never try to do a job if you don't have the right tools, especially because a set of philups drivers are sooo cheap! Glad you avoided any problems, and I hope the ram makes your computing much more enjoyable!
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

Ken6800  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 18, 2004, 01:17 AM

Yeah, my Powerbook is blazing now!

Just a tale of caution in case anyone else attempts to do anything so stupid!

Out of interest (ahem) I don't suppose those screws are easily replaceable are they?

sniffer
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2004, 05:34 AM

I used a flat screwdriver. It did the job, but I don't recommend it either. You don't realize how tiny those screws are until you loosen the first one. It's actually a little scary experience.. Especially when you're playing on your new PB for the first time.

Sniffer gone old-school sig

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jul 18, 2004, 01:24 PM

No offense, but "Duh."

You should never try and use the wrong tool for the job. The "right" tool doesn't always mean something super-specialized (e.g. for me, the "right" tool for peeling asparagus is a paring knife, not a dedicated asparagus peeler that does no better a job, but can't be used for anything else). But you do need the right tool, because when you try and "improvise" (read: "cheat"), it's very easy to cause damage, and it's very easy to injure yourself.

tooki

sniffer
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2004, 02:12 PM

Heh. I would've unscrewed it with the tip of a knife if I was desperate enough. Trust me. I would.

..okei, perhaps for the PB it would be an exception.

Sniffer gone old-school sig

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 18, 2004, 03:08 PM

I'm sure if you call apple you can get a set of replacement screws. You could also check out your local hardware store (bring one in a ziplock bag with you). You definitely can find replacement screws, you just will have to hunt them down if apple doesn't provide them for you. It won't be too hard... much easier if you can determine the type of threading (which might be in the manual/parts list if there is one).

I work on paintball guns/high pressure air tanks all the time and 99% of the time I can find an acceptable part at Home Depot rather than ordering a special piece from a paintball place.
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jul 18, 2004, 03:15 PM

There is nothing at Home Depot that uses screws as small as the ones in PowerBooks. I've found Home Depot's screw selection to be astoundingly narrow, actually. There's not a snowball's chance in hell that the microscopic screws will be available there (or anywhere else, in retail).

tooki

Ken6800  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 18, 2004, 03:46 PM

I completely agree with you tooki, "duh" indeed, but I only posted in order to let people know to be careful when installing RAM.

From the looks of responses on this thread, many people would have, and, indeed, some have done the same as me and use a flat-head. Just a warning to those who are thinking of doing the same. DONT!

And you are right, those screws are impossible to track down, but ah well, I don't intend to purchase a 1ghz RAM replacement anytime soon.

bstone
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2004, 01:45 AM

The saying "the right tool for the right job" comes to mind.
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

Forum Links
Forum Rules