Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Apple MRJ Velocity engine or not?

Apple MRJ Velocity engine or not?
crusher4
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 29, 2000, 07:32 PM

Does it have velocity engine support or not? (v2.2) With the rash of new Java apps (Crush FTP and FURY .5.5 to mention some awesome ones) is it velocity engine compatible? If not i hope they would make it so it is, seeing as it takes around 3-10 secconds to load a java app...thats alot of time =D

Cheers
Crusher4
-Crusher4

giantmike
Mac Enthusiast
May 2, 2000, 07:50 AM

Not yet, but I would almost bet they would add it in soon.

------------------
My Home Page:
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Hills/6629/

Giantmike's Website - Version 5.0

pastusza
Mac Enthusiast
May 3, 2000, 12:45 PM

I just wish they'd get Java2 support going! I don't want to have to wait for MacOS X to get Java2! If the Mac is supposed to be the premiere internet platform, then we need java2 now!

------------------
Andy Pastuszak
[email protected]
Andy Pastuszak
amp68(spammenot)-at-verizon.net

crusher4  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 3, 2000, 03:59 PM

But what requires Java 2?
Not that many apps do....

But whatever, thatd be cool, from what i hear osx has huge velocity engine optimizations, to have a g4 is like 50% faster than an equiv g3(+25mhz cuz g4 is faster...)

So thats kewl =)

Live it up yo!
-Crusher4
-Crusher4

Melinda P. Helfer
May 6, 2000, 03:41 PM

You want to know what requires Java 2, or at least a higher Sun standard than MRJ 2.2 supports? Plenty!!

MRJ 2.2 supports Sun Java standard 1.1.8. All of the tools I have been given at work use either Microsoft-contaminated Java (that's one of the reasons Sun sued MS) or new classes not in the 1.1.8 standard. As a result, I have to run SoftWindows to use the tools and suffer the pitying glances of my co-workers.

I realize that Apple is always going to be a bit behind, because they have to write the Mac kernal from scratch, since Sun only provides a base kernal to Windows, Unix and Linux. Apple's documentation says that only Mac OS X will be able to run their new Java, which is Jave 2 and corresponds to the 1.3.3 standard, I believe. Their was an indication that one of the libraries could be used with Mac OS 9, but nothing was available to try that I could find.

Melinda

Forum Links
Forum Rules