Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > help with system folder protection

help with system folder protection
CraigS
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 27, 2000, 03:19 PM

I recently gave my iMac (running os9) to my somewhat curious father, can someone recommend a way to protect the system folder - thus saving me nightly visits to reinstall significant portions of the os. Las night he somehow trashed open transport (which also kills sherlock-- a *wonderful* catch 22

any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks

Tintim
Apr 27, 2000, 07:46 PM

There is a an option to lock the System Folder on the General Controls control panel.

Cipher13
Apr 27, 2000, 09:25 PM

Though the option to lock the System Folder is in there, on quite a few of the newer Macs it is disabled for some reason. I've seen it disabled on mny iMac rev D's, and on my new G4. All were running OS 9. If anyone knows how to enable the lock option...

Cipher13

wlonh
Professional Poster
Apr 27, 2000, 09:27 PM

it is disbled due to Keychain and Multi users etc, i do believe

Cipher13
Apr 28, 2000, 10:09 PM

I have multi-users off and have tried the General controls with Keychain locked and unlocked, and there's no change - grayed out still... Something with OS 9 obviously - I have not seen a single Mac with OS 9 that can lock the sys or app folder.
This includes both the new Macs and Macs back to the 5500...

Cipher13

wlonh
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2000, 10:35 PM

that is just exactly what i meant, the new feature(s) in MacOS 9 that i mentioned_preclude_the folder protection in General Controls... it is over-ridden and not available

or that is what i read somewhere i think

Art D
Apr 28, 2000, 11:34 PM

Check out this Apple TIL article:
http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n25132

wlonh
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2000, 11:59 PM

thanks Art D, that removes all ambiguity

Cipher13
Apr 29, 2000, 01:36 AM

Oh, ok.
I read what you wrote wrong :-)

Cipher13

P
May 3, 2000, 05:01 PM

The point everyone seems to be trying to make is that you should use the Multiple Users feature to lock down the OS from your father. You do this by opening the Multiple Users control panel, enabling multiple users at the bottom of the window and set up a new account. Name it with your fathers name and set it to "Limited". Now you can set exactly what he can do. Don't forget to set the Owner password so you can change the settings when necessary.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Misha
Professional Poster
May 3, 2000, 06:52 PM

I still think Apple should enable this option again... it's a quick-'n'-easy way to protect the System Folder without needing to set up Multiple Users.

Forum Links
Forum Rules