Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > File Sharing Problem

File Sharing Problem
pastusza
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2000, 12:35 PM

I was trying to turn on File Sharing on my PowerMac G4 at home when FileSharing locked up on me. I force quit it and I can't get back into it. I have deleted the following files from the preferences folder: AppleTalk Preferences, File Sharing CP Preferences, SLP Preferences, and the File Sharing folder, and I still can't get file sharing to come up....

Anyone have any ideas. Is there a preference file that I missed?
Andy Pastuszak
amp68(spammenot)-at-verizon.net

wlonh
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2000, 12:41 PM

multiusers might be playing you here, tho i have no need for it and therefore am not familiar with its usage and pref's

also try the 'AppleShare PDS' invisible file trick, delete it

and for grins why not delete the Servers folder in your System folder

and now rebuild your desktop using TechTool 1.2.1 freeware and if necessary try zapping PRAM using TT1.2.1

these things will not hurt your Mac

jay999
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 28, 2000, 04:20 PM

File Sharing takes a long time to appear sometimes. How long have you waited?

pastusza  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2000, 04:48 PM

File sharing used to appear immediately. I've waited a minute and nothing comes up so I force Quit and them file sharing gives me a type 2 error.

------------------
Andy Pastuszak
[email protected]
Andy Pastuszak
amp68(spammenot)-at-verizon.net

Jean-Paul Lebens
Apr 29, 2000, 07:57 PM

I have the same problem since Mac OS 8.6. I tracked it down to TCP/IP set to "Connect via Ethernet"(I run my Macs on a small Network at home and acces the web via an ISDN Line shared thru a Quadra acting as a router). As soon as I asked "Via PPP", the problem vanished. Each Mac as its own IP address (type 192.168.x.x). Its because the Mac wich is Server try to resolve its doain name via my ISP. Its a known bug (see a Forum in MacFixit about that). But your Mac is not crashed, it is only "Stalled". If you wait long enough, you will regain control. Hope it will help.

ChrisHabig
May 3, 2000, 04:42 AM

Two other preference files you might try deleting are:

Users & Groups CP prefs
Users & Groups Data File

If these become corrupted, the File Sharing control panel will crash.

Username
May 9, 2000, 10:29 PM

The File Sharing control panel under OS 9 can take a ridiculously long amount of time to fully open. Three or four minutes sometimes (while you wait, your computer appears to hang).

When my G4 was new, File Sharing opened instantly. Then it became progressively slower. After zapping my PRAM, reformatting my drive and doing a clean install, the File Sharing control panel *still* took forever to open.

Point is: stop force quitting. Stop searching for corrupt files. You'll just frustrate yourself.

Apparently, according to the Apple monkeys I spoke with at length, it is "normal" for the control panel to take "several minutes" to fully open with OS 9.

...Bring on 9.1, please.

I thank you for your attention / je vous remercie de votre attention.

wlonh
Professional Poster
May 10, 2000, 01:22 AM

well, my Mac starts filesharing up rather fast... under 15 seconds i'd bet, maybe faster... MacOS 9.04 on a 466MHz G3 w/1M L2 rev2 beige minitower

"Servers" folder, delete it.
"Memory Contents" invisible file, ditto.
"AppleShare PDS" invisible file, ditto.
"Clean at Startup" invisible folder, ditto.

i am sure i am forgetting something, if i remember anything else i will post it

[This message has been edited by wlonh (edited 05-10-2000).]

Forum Links
Forum Rules