Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > OS 9.0-9.0.4 shutdown & restart hang

OS 9.0-9.0.4 shutdown & restart hang
pharmdoc
Apr 30, 2000, 10:44 PM

I recently decided to install OS 9 because I wanted to see what difference there was between it and 8.6 even though I've heard the worst things about it. I did a clean install, and it actually worked wonderful except for the fact that every time you restart or shutdown, the hard drive will spin down, but the display and startup process won't disappear until about 5 seconds afterwards. It is really annoying. I am on a rev 1 B&W G3, no hubs attached, running just the bare OS extensions (It does this on both OS 9.0 and 9.0.4). I have zapped the PRAM also, but nothing seems to help. I appreciate anyone that can help. Thanks.

Cipher13
May 1, 2000, 07:24 AM

Have you got Multiple Users turned on? If so, then thats the culprit.
Otherwise, I don't know - it could be a number of things. If you have Macsbug and know how to use it, install it and see if you get dropped in when you try to shut down or restart. If you do get dropped into it, then it is almost definately Multiple Users - I had the same problem. If you don't know anything about Macsbug, then don't worry about the Macsbug thing.

Cipher13

pharmdoc
May 1, 2000, 01:25 PM

I disabled the multiple users control panel. Shouldn't that do the same trick as keeping it enabled and selecting off? I have heard of Macbugs, but have never used it. I will try to get it and figure it out. If you have any other suggestions please feel free to write. Thanks,
Pharmdoc

vidimac
May 5, 2000, 01:53 PM

I have a similar problem. The "hang" is very annoying. My startup time is awful. Did disabling multiple users work for you? I like OS 9.0.4 after using 8.6, but the long startup takes the sheen off this system update for me. Advice please!

Cipher13
May 6, 2000, 01:04 AM

If You're having trouble with a a slow startup (do you mean there is like a 15 second hang?), then delete the AppleShare PDS file from the root of your HD (its invisible, so use ResEdit or something).
I think that re-appears whenever AppleTalk is activated though...
I think you may also delete the servers folder in the System Folder...
Works for me...

Cipher13

Qono
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 7, 2000, 06:18 PM

I have noticed since I have updated my b/w G3 from 8.6 to 9.0.4 that every once in awhile it will hang infinitely on either startup or on restart. By this, I mean that the screen goes gray but that little smiling Mac never appears. This is solved by hitting restart but sometimes I have to do it twice. Very annoying. This is sporadic so I don't know how to pin this problem down. Any suggestions?

Forum Links
Forum Rules