Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > OS 9.2.1; Some incompatabilities and also noticed something new

OS 9.2.1; Some incompatabilities and also noticed something new
MikeM32
Banned
Location: "Joisey" Home of the "Guido" and chicks with "Big Hair"
Aug 22, 2001, 06:35 PM

Alsofts DiskShield 2.1 extension no longer works in 9.2.1 This was the same deal with DiskShield 2.0 and OS 9.1. So.............It's time to knock on Alsofts door for an update (again).

I also did a "short test" of launching applications after my update to 9.2.1 today. Everything seems to check out except one application.

This may just be an issue on my end: InDesign 1.5.2 fails to start-up it's "looking" for some "ADMLib" plug-in. I'm just going to attempt a full re-install of the application in this case. Hopefully it is just a problem on my end somewhere.

Now one new thing I did notice which wasn't in OS 9.1 is the SPECIAL MENU/BURN CD feature. I just wish Apple would get around to offerng more support for External LaCie SCSI burners

Looks like I'll be relying on Toast until Apple comes through on that issue.

Other than the special menu/Burn CD thing I haven't noticed anything new. I've un-installed OSX temporarily to use my second hard drive at work for a special project. I'll post more as to the real "improvements" in classic performance when I get my "rig" back to the state it was last week (before I "raped" it of it's added 19 GB drive).

Mike

Mike

KidRed
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2001, 07:45 PM

Indesign 1.0 works no problem, I haven't upgraded to 1.5.2 yet so it may be Adobe's side with their upgraded version.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

SpeedRacer
Senior User
Aug 22, 2001, 08:41 PM

Originally posted by MikeM32:
<STRONG>
Now one new thing I did notice which wasn't in OS 9.1 is the SPECIAL MENU/BURN CD feature. I just wish Apple would get around to offerng more support for External LaCie SCSI burners
</STRONG>
An upgrade to Finder 9.1.1 (via the free Disc Burner software) brought the "Burn CD" feature to the OS 9.1 several months back. From what i can see there is little/no new features in 9.2.1 vs. 9.1.

Speed

er1c
Forum Regular
Aug 22, 2001, 09:50 PM

iTunes freakout

I launched iTunes 1.1 after installing 9.2.1 and when I ran visuals full screen, my poor dual USB iBook freaked out, the screen flashed brightly, it changed to 640 x 480 and crashed!

wow, I didn't care for that very much. Other than this, everything seems "normal" ...

---
no, you bite my shiny metal ass...

OverclockedHomoSapien
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 23, 2001, 01:20 AM

No problems with iTunes visuals here...but normally I use Soundjam MP with G-Force for visuals. You should check it out, it's much cooler than the iTunes visuals!

Plus I love the EQ. When the heck is Apple going to put an EQ in iTunes?!?!? This really sucks that Apple felt the need to neuter Soundjam when they bought it.
[FONT="book antiqua"]"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."
- Thomas Jefferson, 1816.[/FONT]

Demonhood
Administrator
Aug 23, 2001, 02:06 AM

no problems here with InDesign 1.5.2 or iTunes.

although i do miss my control-eject shutdown combo.
anybody know if there is a working alternative? i've managed to set my computer to sleep and open up my dvd drive about a dozen times looking for something that works.

KidRed
Professional Poster
Aug 23, 2001, 03:24 AM

Just checked my iceBook and iTunes worked fine, a little stuttering every other second with the frame rate, but no flash or crash at all.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

Forum Links
Forum Rules