Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Apps That Can Import ClarisDraw Files?

Apps That Can Import ClarisDraw Files?
Brian McHale
Mar 23, 2006, 03:01 PM

I did a bit of searching, and so far the only OS X app I've found that claims to import ClarisDraw and MacDraw files is EazyDraw. Even though it's likely to be a couple of years before I buy an Intel-based Mac, I'd like to plan ahead for the time when Classic apps will no longer work.

I'm no longer actively using ClarisDraw, but I do have a lot of old files I'd like to be able to access from OS X. EazyDraw is a bit steep as a file conversion tool, but it would be worth it if it's the only OS X app that can read ClarisDraw files.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Brian

dru
Senior User
Mar 24, 2006, 06:09 PM

Intaglio supports ClarisDraw files: http://www.purgatorydesign.com/Intaglio/history.html

Are those both 68K apps or PowerPC? If they're 68K you could run Basilisk 2 on NT (or assume Basilisk 2 for OSX comes to Intel) and run them under that emulation. What export choices do you have? PICT, ACAD (DXF), Encap. Postscript?

I checked Corel Draw 11, the last Mac release (is for PPC Mac OS X) and it doesn't support the MacDraw or ClarisDraw formats. You might look at specific conversion software like MacLink Plus which might've supported those in an older version (but doesn't support those now).
20" iMac C2D/2.4GHz 3GB RAM 10.6.8 (10H549)

Brian McHale  (op)
Mar 27, 2006, 03:26 PM

Dru,

Thanks for the reply. This looks like a good option. Do you know if it will accurately import photos and other graphics in ClarisDraw files? A lot of my old ClarisDraw files have scanned images embedded and I want to make sure they'll import okay.
Brian

suthercd
Senior User
Mar 27, 2006, 04:09 PM

I believe you can save the files as a postscript file and then open them with Preview. This will certainly work if you print to a pdf file.

HTH
Craig

Jonesy
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 27, 2006, 05:08 PM

According to the website Graphic Converter can import MacDraw I format files. It makes no mention of ClarisDraw though. Maybe that will do the job. I had a free licence and a copy of GC on my computer when I bought it. If you don't have it already it's certainly worth a look.

dru
Senior User
Mar 28, 2006, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by Brian McHale
Dru,

Thanks for the reply. This looks like a good option. Do you know if it will accurately import photos and other graphics in ClarisDraw files? A lot of my old ClarisDraw files have scanned images embedded and I want to make sure they'll import okay.
No idea. Why not download the Intalgio demo and try it out on your documents?

http://www.purgatorydesign.com/Intaglio/download.html
20" iMac C2D/2.4GHz 3GB RAM 10.6.8 (10H549)

Brian McHale  (op)
Mar 28, 2006, 12:10 PM

Thanks for all the responses. I definitely want to stay away from having to save the files first; there are a lot of them, and I won't know which ones I'll need until I need them. In other words, I really need something that can import the ClarisDraw files and convert them.

I'll definitely have to download the Intaglio demo.
Brian

Forum Links
Forum Rules