Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Hey grandma, you should L-I-S-T-E-N!

Hey grandma, you should L-I-S-T-E-N!
yakkiebah
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2005, 08:34 AM

BZZZ

Respect!

Police Hit Grandmother With Taser Gun Five Times
A 68-year-old woman was hit with a Taser gun by police in an Ohio city five times.

The police officer in the case, a lieutenant with the Franklin Police Department, claims he is the victim in the case, NBC 4's Mike Bowersock reported.

Beverly Kidwell, 68, was in the waiting room of the police department in suburban Dayton when the incident occurred.

According to police, she came into the station to be arrested for hitting her granddaughter.

Kidwell said she waited a long time in the lobby and, when she got up to leave, the officer hit her with the Taser gun.

"I don't know if he thought I was going to get up and leave or what, but he pulled his gun. I thought it was a gun. I'd never seen a Taser gun in my life and I thought, 'Oh my God. He's going to shoot me. He's going to kill me," Kidwell said.

The police lieutenant said she was resisting arrest, Bowersock reported.

Kidwell said she was in a fetal position and unable to move when the lieutenant ordered her to get up and continued to shock her.

The woman survived five jolts and had to be taken to an area hospital.
Serious, how far out do you have to be to start zapping grannies?

Veronica
Forum Regular
Dec 10, 2005, 09:28 AM

Well, she did resist arrest for hitting her granddaughter. I say, let the zapping begin!

James L
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2005, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Veronica
Well, she did resist arrest for hitting her granddaughter. I say, let the zapping begin!
LOL!

Well, if we are to base our opinion on one news article from a reporter who wasn't there, may have only had part of the story, plus the story itself may have been edited after it was written, then I must say that she is a child beater and got what she deserved.

Or..... there could be more to the story?

Ya never know.

Veronica
Forum Regular
Dec 10, 2005, 11:32 AM

I admit I didn't actually read the entire article... Well, well...

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 10, 2005, 11:56 AM

"survived" is a pretty prejudicial term. Tasers are really only dangerous to people with bad hearts or other preexisting conditions; for most people they are merely a very unpleasant and quite immediately "pacifying" experience.

And what's a 68 year old great grandmother doing whacking her grandkids anyway? Was the grandchild a teenager or a baby? There's a whole lot of information not in that quoted article. I also think it's interesting that the only part of the surveillance video they show is the immediate tasering, not what led up to it. Did she storm out, did she just stand up? Bad reporting just makes the story more sensational, not a better story. And of course local news being all tabloid nowadays, there's NO follow up three days later for anything on the story.

Of course the Dayton (Franklin) police should not make people wait when they turn themselves in to be arrested... "Sorry, take a number and we'll bust you when your turn comes up." Dumb!
( Last edited by ghporter; Dec 10, 2005 at 12:04 PM. )

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

yakkiebah  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2005, 12:31 PM

Unless she was reaching for a gun i can't think of 1 reason for tasering her ass, five times.

Whether she is quilty or not is up to the judge, as is her punisment. Who cares what she did? It's irrelevant.

Besides it's kinda hilarious that a guy 5 times bigger and younger has to tase a 68year old to keep her under control.

hickey
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2005, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by yakkiebah
Besides it's kinda hilarious that a guy 5 times bigger and younger has to tase a 68year old to keep her under control.
It's that power trip syndrome that cops go through, at least all of the cops I've dealt with seemed they needed to make me feel like a piece of sh!t in order for them to think they'd done their job.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2005, 02:54 PM

The granddaughter probably deserved to be hit with the taser more than grandma.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2005, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by yakkiebah
Unless she was reaching for a gun i can't think of 1 reason for tasering her ass, five times.

Whether she is quilty or not is up to the judge, as is her punisment. Who cares what she did? It's irrelevant.

Exactly.

gururafiki
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 10, 2005, 04:12 PM

The cops must have been afraid of the woman if they tasered her 5 times! Either that or just way to trigger happy.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2005, 07:18 PM

That is definitely a very strong woman. Hope that Grandma and Granddaughter are alright.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Dakar
Professional Poster
Dec 10, 2005, 07:51 PM

The guy must be fat. How hard is it to catch up to a 68 year-old?

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Dec 10, 2005, 07:56 PM

all cops are fat.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2005, 11:04 AM

hope she sues and that cop is canned

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

ShotgunEd
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2005, 11:10 AM

canned and sentenced to a good tasering.

and a life without donuts.

SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Dec 11, 2005, 12:10 PM

OH NOs SHE SPANKED HER GRANDCHILD FOR BEING A BRAT! LOCK HER UP!

spatterson
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2005, 12:51 PM

The dude got trigger happy, and the brat probably deserved a good spanking... poor grandma

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 11, 2005, 01:04 PM

Didn't read "spank" anywhere. I read "Hit her"

Now where I live, there is a difference between spank and hit.

But then again, the kid could have been playing an Xbox game, while telling her grandma to get her some MutherF*ckin Chocolate milk.

Then she probably deserved it.

SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Dec 11, 2005, 01:05 PM

If you spank a kid, you can go to jail for 'hitting' a kid.

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 11, 2005, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by SuvsareRetarded
No. You can spank children. There are however guidelines.

SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Dec 11, 2005, 01:18 PM

I remember one time I did something mean to my sister. My dad slapped me on the side of my head. It hurt. I quit being mean to my sister.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 11, 2005, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by SuvsareRetarded
Only if you have a long and well documented history of hitting kids. Child Protective Services, or whatever they are called where you are, has zero power; they have to convince judges to issue orders taking children away from abusive parents, and they need to get judges to support them when they suggest a parent has injured a child. Further, most states have a major dislike of big lawsuits that they lose, so the laws and rules are stacked against Child Protective Services.

I should note that the term "spanking" refers to an act that does not cause lasting bodily harm, bruises or other internal damage. Leaving marks that last more than a few minutes is usually the threshold for "injuring" a child. Basically you can go to jail for assault and battery if you slap someone's hand away from you, but you have to really hurt a kid to get jail time.

There are enough sick MFs out there that kill and maim their kids (and their girlfriend's kids) for states and provinces to deal with; they aren't going to take the time and resources to do much about anything that equates to a spanking.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules