Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Why is it?

Why is it?
Javizun
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 8, 2006, 08:35 PM

that when microsoft windows crash during a presentation is made fun off and talked about but when mac do it people look the other way and dont even comment ont it? I THOUGHT MACS never crashed during this presentation iphoto did not open im pretty sure alot of you experienced this(i own a mac and i hate that damn beach ball) but im a person ha tsees things in every perspective and i just hate how apple as a company resorts to insulting a company who can purchase them and still have money to wipe their ass with.

i cant wait for mac os x leopard to go on my macbook pro but man vista is gonna rock too
so why is it? that is needed for mac fans to bash on microsoft is it because we all know microsoft is the king and apple is just a 5% contender with hopes of reign?
microsoft office alone sells more units then mac os x operating system so why the need to bash on something greater then you.is like apple is bashing god i mean come on
windows took it far and beyond peoples expectations.

JLL
Professional Poster
Aug 8, 2006, 08:59 PM

It's not the first time a Mac has crashed on stage - that's why they have backup systems.

Jobs even made fun of Microsoft a couple of keynotes ago since Microsoft didn't have backup systems the last time Vista crashed when Gates demoed it.

windows took it far and beyond peoples expectations.
Eh, what do you mean?
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

parsec_kadets
Senior User
Aug 9, 2006, 12:16 AM

Sorry, I tried reading you post, I really did. Maybe you should learn to use punctuation and grammar and try again.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 9, 2006, 12:47 AM

To which event is he referring?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

eevyl
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 9, 2006, 04:29 AM

We need the backup of this message, this one crashed and is unreadable

eevyl
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 9, 2006, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
To which event is he referring?
When demoing Time Machine integration with iPhoto, that guy Scott I think launched iPhoto, then clicked on the Time Machine icon, but that triggered what I think was a deadlock in iPhoto, it was beachballing and he was unable to force quit it. So he switched to the backup.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 9, 2006, 12:14 PM

Windows has been a problem in demonstrations Bill has done for a long time. OS X has indeed shown a few problems publicly as well, but Steve/Scott/etc. have been ready for such problems. Rather than do a restart (which would have benn much quicker than restarting a Windows machine) they bring spare demo machines and get back on track quickly. Bill and company try to fix the machines (including the Vista demo machine mentioned earlier) and that's the amusing part.

And Javizun, your post really is nearly unreadable. Sentences, paragraph structure and keeping ideas separated so they can be understood are essential to communication.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 9, 2006, 12:26 PM

Yeah, Apple knows how to handle stuff gracefully, so it comes across as a minor hiccup rather than a major ****up. I think it's a good reflection on the two companies in general. Microsoft is lucky just to get it working, whereas Apple is all about adding polish.

Oh, and also, selling more ≠ greater. Otherwise, we'd have to concede that McDonalds is the greatest restaurant on the planet.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

dmetzcher
Forum Regular
Aug 13, 2006, 11:24 PM

It all comes down to presentation. When you ask the nerdy engineer to do your presentation, instead of someone who really knows how to control a crowd and deliver a show, you've already lost.

In addition, you mention the fact that you hate the beachball. Perhaps a RAM upgrade is in order for you. I rarely get it, except when I'm using Firefox, and that's not the OS's fault. In terms of crashes...I have multiple Windows machines in addition to my iBook G4, and I can say, from experience, that I see the Windows machines going down far more often than the G4. In fact, my G4 usually runs for weeks without a crash or a reboot. If my Dell notebook could manage that, I'd be happy.

And, to answer your initial question: The reason that Mac users make fun of Windows users is because, quite simply, the Mac OS is a better operating system. You should also do a little research about Windows fanboys vs. Mac fanboys. Read a few articles, and check out Digg.com. The fact is, Apple users, from what I read on a daily basis, are not nearly as nasty as Windows users when it comes to trashing the competition. Windows users talk about Mac users "drinking the Kool Aid", but I can't imagine a better description of that phrase than a Windows user who actually defends the OS. OS X is simply better when you weigh the pros and cons, in my opinion.

And, as far as Vista rocking when it is released, you should check out the features. If you are using a Mac, you already have 90% of them. The only difference is execution. Apple does it with style, with the average user in mind, while Microsoft does it a "different" way, with IT professionals in mind. Take a look at the various presentations of Vista (you can find them on YouTube.com). When a feature is announced and demoed, do you hear cheering from the audience? You don't hear it, because the people in the audience have not been living under a rock for the last five years. They know that the very feature they are seeing presented to them (as if it were something new and glorious), is already available from the competition.

I wrote all this despite the fact that, from the looks of your original post, you are probably trolling for a fight. If that's the case, you'd better bring a bigger arsenal of rhetoric, because the one you have isn't going to cut it with a group of Mac users who know their OS, and who have most-likely used Windows for some time as well.
Dennis R. Metzcher
MyMacBlog.com: My experiences with the Mac OS, a switcher's point of view. With a new Mac tip each week day.

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2006, 02:01 PM

He was also demoing an operating system still in development and not set for release till much later.

You also overuse the word Bash.

Forum Links
Forum Rules