Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > SS Power Metal

SS Power Metal (Page 4)
daydreamer
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 2, 2003, 06:46 AM

Originally posted by Modro:
Swiz, great job on the theme. I am noticing that the contrast is a bit lacking though, so usability seems a little off, I'm just gonna tweak the theme a bit for my own use, but overall, fantastic work.

These were the changes I was gonna do to it (after having seen a G5 just the other day, actually)

Just a contrast bump, and I adding a bit of noise, since I noticed when looking at a G5, that they have a sort of bead blasted finish on them that looks really nice in person.
gorgeous. I wished Power Metal was a little bit lighter.
( Last edited by daydreamer; Sep 2, 2003 at 07:33 AM. )

iFix Rene
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 2, 2003, 10:41 AM

I surely also do think the version with
higher contrast looks better.

lovely theme anyway
If it ain't broken... Fix it!�

Lyric OS 13.0
Sep 2, 2003, 03:21 PM

Nicely done theme... Another one of my favorites already! Thanks!

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Sep 2, 2003, 07:38 PM

hey...
anyone else having a hard time installing this?
i downloaded it twice, themechanger keeps getting stuck, then i get a termination4 error.

my other themes load fine...

any ideas??
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2003, 08:02 PM

Originally posted by fisherKing:
hey...
anyone else having a hard time installing this?
i downloaded it twice, themechanger keeps getting stuck, then i get a termination4 error.

my other themes load fine...

any ideas??
I've got the same problem with SS studiopro (the latest version)..termination4 after trying to install it with themechanger.
After trying multiple download/installs, I tried it with duality and it worked !
Duality gives me usually a hard time but that time everything was good.
Try it for SS power metal..
Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Sep 2, 2003, 08:16 PM

Originally posted by Patcarla:
I've got the same problem with SS studiopro (the latest version)..termination4 after trying to install it with themechanger.
After trying multiple download/installs, I tried it with duality and it worked !
Duality gives me usually a hard time but that time everything was good.
Try it for SS power metal..
thanx patcarla, duality worked!
woohoo!
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2003, 08:48 PM

Originally posted by fisherKing:
thanx patcarla, duality worked!
woohoo!
Glad it worked..

I'mDaMac
Senior User
Sep 4, 2003, 08:59 PM

Looks great Swiz, but that's usually the norm with your work.
Thanks for the hard work you put into making Cerbero's design a reality on everyones desktop.
Who'sDaMac?

ambush
Banned
Sep 4, 2003, 09:52 PM

This theme is going to kick major butt

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2003, 11:30 PM

Originally posted by iFix Rene:
I surely also do think the version with
higher contrast looks better.

lovely theme anyway
Ya the higher-contast is cool. I really like it the way it is now though, it's one of the better original themes out there along with TuX and Max's new one.

click one

Trekkie
Forum Regular
Sep 5, 2003, 01:26 AM

About that Safari skin...
-Trekkie
To point, click and boldly go...

mrtew
Professional Poster
Sep 7, 2003, 09:50 PM

Originally posted by Trekkie:
About that Safari skin...

Yeah, what about that? Is there a Safari skin yet? And how about Camino too? please?

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Sep 7, 2003, 09:55 PM

Originally posted by mrtew:
Yeah, what about that? Is there a Safari skin yet? And how about Camino too? please?
I'll get them together this evening and post them before bed time.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

AU_student_iceBook
Senior User
Sep 7, 2003, 10:23 PM

Originally posted by swiz:
I'll get them together this evening and post them before bed time.
Thanks Swiz! that is great.
What are your thoughts on this mock-up? (posted earlier)

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Sep 7, 2003, 11:22 PM

Originally posted by AU_student_iceBook:
Thanks Swiz! that is great.
What are your thoughts on this mock-up? (posted earlier)
Im digging on it, I was planning on making the Swiz variant more metallic and this looks to be a viable starting point.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Sep 8, 2003, 01:22 AM

Power Metal Safari Skin is obtainable now on here:
http://swizcore.com

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2003, 07:32 AM

Cool!
Thanks swiz

fireside
Professional Poster
Sep 8, 2003, 04:52 PM

eh sorry if this is kinda off topic, but swiz, im really diggin your site, but those greenbuttons with the white text and little gradient type thing, yaknow those? well, they're really hard to read.

solidfox
Sep 8, 2003, 05:12 PM

Originally posted by fireside:
eh sorry if this is kinda off topic, but swiz, im really diggin your site, but those greenbuttons with the white text and little gradient type thing, yaknow those? well, they're really hard to read.
Mmm...mmm...looks fine if you look at your screen from below though...

But it's looking commercial...somehow...as if there was a banner present...hmmm...

Nah...looking good...just the kind of thing any company would want...any company looking at their screen from below, that is...

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Sep 8, 2003, 06:38 PM

Originally posted by fireside:
I know, Ive been wanting to address this since I updated it but Im still looking for the time ( I keep getting caught up in this and that). I will be improving a few things though as soon as I get caught up with this and that. heh

sailor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 9, 2003, 01:07 PM

Swiz....forgive the newbie question, but I can't find the skin on your site...is it part of the theme package? The skin FAQ says I'll need to use another application to load the skin...any pointers or help appreciated...the Power Metal theme is the BEST!

david

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2003, 01:33 PM

Originally posted by sailor:
Swiz....forgive the newbie question, but I can't find the skin on your site...
david
Scroll down on the theme page....

gatorparrots
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 9, 2003, 02:58 PM

Iconfactory released a new icon set that should go well with the SS Power Metal theme:

G5 System
http://www.iconfactory.com/Preview.asp?type=show&id=173

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Sep 9, 2003, 03:20 PM

Originally posted by gatorparrots:
Iconfactory released a new icon set that should go well with the SS Power Metal theme:

G5 System
http://www.iconfactory.com/Preview.asp?type=show&id=173
These will match the Swiz version so well it makes me giggle like a school girl. tee hee

catsank
Sep 9, 2003, 04:38 PM

Yeah - sweet !

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2003, 07:50 PM

These will match the Swiz version so well it makes me giggle like a school girl. tee hee
Those are nice. I always like the swiz versions of all your themes best, so I'm sure I'll change to it from my DSX purple mod when it comes out.
click one

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Sep 10, 2003, 07:45 PM

I just wanted to post this while I was thinking about it. The Swiz version of Power Metal will not be available until after my honeymoon. Its going to be an EXTENSIVE process. I want to assure this is my best product yet.

valdur
Forum Regular
Sep 10, 2003, 11:23 PM

Its going to be an EXTENSIVE process. I want to assure this is my best product yet.
...yeah..that's good for you and your wife and i'm happy for you...but what about your theme?.....oh wait....uhmm...yeah, get "busy" my friend...

honz
Sep 11, 2003, 07:10 AM

Originally posted by Swiz:
I just wanted to post this while I was thinking about it. The Swiz version of Power Metal will not be available until after my honeymoon. Its going to be an EXTENSIVE process. I want to assure this is my best product yet.
Originally posted by valdur:
...yeah..that's good for you and your wife and i'm happy for you...but what about your theme?.....oh wait....uhmm...yeah, get "busy" my friend...

OMG! That's a classic......you really couldn't have written it any better Swiz. Thanks for making my day happier!

gatorparrots
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 10, 2003, 06:54 PM

Are the non-ShapeShifter versions of SS Power Metal (reg. and Swiz-style), SS Studio Pro, etc. still available anywhere?

I'd like to use them but don't want to have to pay for the privilege ($20 and possible system instability/performance issues with ShapeShifter).

The older Theme Changer package versions are fine with me. Anyone?

u2zoo
Forum Regular
Dec 10, 2003, 07:45 PM

Checkout swizcore's public idisk account - I believe he has them all them there. (username: swizcore)

btw: PowerMetal is not causing any OS stability issues under ShapeShifter for me.

gatorparrots
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 11, 2003, 01:16 AM

Originally posted by u2zoo:
Checkout swizcore's public idisk account - I believe he has them all them there. (username: swizcore)
Thanks, but what I am looking for is the early Panther versions of those themes. Currently on his site, he has the older Jaguar versions and the new Panther ShapeShifter guiKits, but not the "legacy" Panther-ready Theme Changer-style theme packages. Anyone else?

btw: PowerMetal is not causing any OS stability issues under ShapeShifter for me.
This is why I'm in no hurry to run ShapeShifter:
What's new in v1.0.1?
*Resolved an issue that could prevent systems using non-English and multi-byte localizations (Japenese, for example) from being able to use ShapeShifter.

*Resolved issues that could cause application instability in Panther when using themes created for earlier operating systems.

*Resolved an issue that caused fuzzy Menu Extras, slow window resizing performance, redrawing issues in Safari, and incorrect window transparency in some applications for users running Panther.

*General performance improvements.

*Added useful error messages to the prefpane indicating why ShapeShifter can't be used on a particular machine.

*Fixed a large memory leak related to drawing metal windows. This leak could have resulted in reduced system performance.

*Resolved issues that could prevent removing themes from the ShapeShifter preference pane from succeeding.

*Pieces of the currently-installed theme are no longer mixed in with a theme preview.

*Metal windows are no longer modified when ShapeShifter is active but there is no installed theme.

*Added ShapeShifterCacheManager to the APE's exclude list. This should reduce spurious error messages to Console and may fix the occasional issue that results in the Cache Manager getting hosed.

u2zoo
Forum Regular
Dec 11, 2003, 11:25 AM

I am not talking about his website - his iDisk account has all his old themes (including Jaguar versions) - I know because I just went back and grabbed the last version of the BeOS theme he made.

Finder -> Go -> iDisk -> Other Users Public Folder

username: swizcore... I swore I saw a current (non-guikit) powermetal theme out there....

gatorparrots
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 11, 2003, 01:26 PM

Originally posted by u2zoo:
I am not talking about his website - his iDisk account has all his old themes (including Jaguar versions) - I know because I just went back and grabbed the last version of the BeOS theme he made.

Finder -> Go -> iDisk -> Other Users Public Folder

username: swizcore... I swore I saw a current (non-guikit) powermetal theme out there....
No sir. I had visited his iDisk yesterday after you had pointed me that way.
Finder: Go>Connect to Server>http://idisk.mac.com/swizcore/Public

All his Jaguar themes are there, but there are but three Panther themes, all of which are guiKit/ShapeShifter. Any other ideas?

u2zoo
Forum Regular
Dec 11, 2003, 02:06 PM

Drat, sorry to have mislead you then. I would post a request over on Swizcore's funmac forum - Though I can't speak for him, I imagine he would drum up a file for you.

phillryu
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2003, 03:38 PM

Anyone else think that the PowerMetal 'graphite' version (system prefs option) shoul have white glowing widgets, ala the new g5's and powerbooks? Rather than the blue lights, which is more of an xserve look?

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

Lord Sith
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 11, 2003, 06:05 PM

Originally posted by phillryu:
Anyone else think that the PowerMetal 'graphite' version (system prefs option) shoul have white glowing widgets, ala the new g5's and powerbooks? Rather than the blue lights, which is more of an xserve look?

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Dec 11, 2003, 09:07 PM

Phillryu is just pushing my buttons, we alread discussed this. It will happen with the update . LOL

gatorparrots
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 12, 2003, 12:24 AM

Swiz -- any chance of a brief moratorium on the ShapeShifter-only state of your Panther themes? Please? I would like to use the older non-GuiKit versions if you would be so kind...

gatorparrots
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 15, 2003, 06:36 PM

Does anyone have the Panther-ready, non-GUIKit (ShapeShifter) versions of Swiz's themes on hand? If so, would you care to post them somewhere or mail them to me?

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Dec 15, 2003, 07:20 PM

Sorry, I dont evene have any of them around anymore. I am sick right now and not feeling up to any type of creative work but a PowerMetal refinement is on a todo list andwhen I get to it I will create one for you.

Forum Links
Forum Rules