Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Changing user Short Name?

Changing user Short Name?
mrchin
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 27, 2004, 09:34 AM

Haven't tried researching it much, but just wondering how to do this without having to create a nenw admin and transferring the files. Would it be terminal or could you use Net Info Manager? What would commands would this involve?

thanks
Dual 2.0 G5/2.5GB/ATI 9800 Pro | MacBook Pro 2.16 Gore Duo/2GB/ATI X1600

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2004, 10:30 AM

Originally posted by mrchin:
Haven't tried researching it much, but just wondering how to do this without having to create a nenw admin and transferring the files. Would it be terminal or could you use Net Info Manager? What would commands would this involve?

thanks
You'd have to (1) change the NetInfo Manager and (2) rename the home directory of the user. I am not sure if there are other steps, but I suspect there might be. I'd guess that it would be easier to just move the files into a new user's home and run chown on the files.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

gatorparrots
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 28, 2004, 09:54 AM

I helped contribute to this article (works under 10.2). I'm not sure if there are many differences under Panther, but you could give it a go:
http://homepage.mac.com/frakes/MOSXP...tusername.html

Forum Links
Forum Rules