Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Who wants to see a Panther version of BootCD?

Who wants to see a Panther version of BootCD?
CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Feb 3, 2004, 11:49 PM

Well, the good news is, I finally got BootCD to make a disc that boots, on my machine at least. The bad news is that I had to start over from scratch to do so, with the result that I've probably broken lots of apps and things that people want to use. So before I release, I need to have this tested pretty thoroughly.

First, I need to test this on a wider range of hardware than I have access to over here. If anyone has something very new like a G5 or something very old like a Rev A iMac (as long as the machine is supported by Panther), it would be good to know if BootCD can boot those machines successfully. In particular interest to me are PowerBooks with SuperDrives as I've had trouble with those before.

Secondly, I'd like to know if the apps people like to use would work. DiskWarrior seems to work on my boot CD, but I would like to know if TechTool Pro works as well, so if anyone has it, it would make a good test. I have doubts that Norton would work, but it wouldn't hurt to try that anyway if someone is willing. Additionally, if there's anything else you like to do with a boot CD, be it network access, FireWire, Carbon Copy Cloner, whatever, I'd like to know whether it works or not.

The testable build is not completely ready yet, as there's a little optimization to do, but it should be ready in the next few days. In the meantime, I'd like a few e-mail addresses, if anyone would like to test. Post your e-mail address in here, or e-mail it to me at support at charlessoft dot com. Thanks!

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

-Q-
Feb 4, 2004, 12:00 AM

Originally posted by CharlesS:
Post your e-mail address in here, or e-mail it to me at support at charlessoft dot com. Thanks!
Charles - be glad to put my G5 to use. Drop me a line at dev_em at mac dot com when the test build is ready.

gatorparrots
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 4, 2004, 01:30 AM

I'm already on for Pacifist. Sign me onboard for BootCD testing as well.

joeboe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 1, 2004, 06:03 PM

I would love to see a boot cd. I'm working in a large scale IT department and we have been testing BootCD to help us with some troubleshooting and deployment issues. A Panther Version would simplify things greatly. I'd be happy to provide feedback. We have around 200 macs ranging from Graphites to new G5's.

Forum Links
Forum Rules