Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Personal LaserWriter 300 with PC

Personal LaserWriter 300 with PC
holderlin
Feb 15, 2002, 10:09 AM

I've given up trying get this printer to work with OSX. One of the great disappointments with Apple.

Now, I'm wondering if I can connect the printer to my PC laptop. Does anyone know if this printer will work with PC?

Thanks,
Bob

<climber>
Feb 15, 2002, 01:27 PM

A quick check of the Apple web site reveals that the PLW 300 only has a serial port and communicates only in Quickdraw. That means it is unlikely to ever work with Windows.

Windows XP does not list the 300 under the list of printers in the add printers program. It does list several older printers by Apple. I have a PLW NTR from the same age, and it does work becouse it is Postscript and handles PCL4+. It also has a Parralel port. Likewise it also should work with OSX as do the vast majority of postcript devices.

The reason it does not work with OSX is that it is a non networkable personal printer that uses a serial port not found on any machine designated to run OSX. Even the older Postript printers from that era with localtalk ports are a bit difficult to integrate into a current 100 baseT network. They require a protocol converter/bridge to connect the two different networks.

Not Logged in: On windows XP box

CLIMBER

Forum Links
Forum Rules