Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > 'TOP TEN COUNTRIES' to live in...

'TOP TEN COUNTRIES' to live in... (Page 3)
Feathers
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 24, 2004, 03:36 PM

Originally posted by Ois�n:
My point was that whatever you call it, a state is normally a (partially) self-governing unit, whereas the Irish provinces and counties are far less self-governing than, for instance, the individual states in the USA or the Canadian provinces. My problem was with the sentence, "And with the Health Care and Colleges, every state is different, if your state has free College, dandy, dosent mean every state has free college". Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't one of the differences between the Canadian provinces and the Irish provinces/counties that fees etc. for health care and colleges are not different in the different provinces in Ireland?
You're absolutely right. Ireland is one state, a nation, a republic. It is subdivided geographically into Counties but remains a single political and administrative entity where the same rules, laws, etc. apply to all. The only area of devolution is with the County Councils who can do little more than set individual County charges for things such as refuse collection and water.

Feathers
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 24, 2004, 03:39 PM

Originally posted by digiology2:
Mmmm, my capitation fee was �65 I think thats what everyone pays if they are on a grant (and if they are not on a grant then they can afford to fork out a grand).
Is your course of study Degree Level or the institution a University?

jbartone
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 24, 2004, 04:36 PM

Originally posted by Sherwin:
Wow. Just how high are your taxes if you class the Nordic lands as "tax havens"?

Oops. I meant that as in they have incredibly high taxes compared to many first world western countries.

Knew I'd worded that wrong...
( Last edited by jbartone; Nov 24, 2004 at 05:55 PM. )

digiology2
Forum Regular
Nov 24, 2004, 05:02 PM

Originally posted by Feathers:
Is your course of study Degree Level or the institution a University?
I'm usure what you mean, I'm doing a degree course at a University. What I am trying to say is that everyone has the opportunity to study further, even if I had to pay a grand for every year I study it would still be a good deal. If costs tax payers �5000 a year to send me to college thats excluding my grant and my registration fee which is covered by my grant! Thats roughly �26,400 to send me to college, most people have the chance to avail of this in my country hence why I think its somewhat fair. Of course the intention is that I pay it all back with my high paid job in the future..... If you ask me its a great way of reducing poverty, its a pity alot of people don't bother taking the opportunity

Forum Links
Forum Rules