Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Where the hell is HDV support for FCP-HD?

Where the hell is HDV support for FCP-HD?
Feathers
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 12, 2005, 04:47 PM

I notice that Apple has added support for JVC/Sony's HDV format to FCP Express and even iMovie but not even a whisper of an upgrade or additional codec for FCP-HD. This is annoying lunacy. It's like spending $1000's on clothes and not even getting in the wedding photos! What gives?

bmedina
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2005, 10:36 PM

It will be added in an update soon. From Apple's FCP Page:
HDV Support Coming: Apple has joined the growing list of companies planning to support JVC�s HDV format in future product releases. HDV support for FCP can be found at Heuris and Lumiere.
I would expect it to be released no later than FC Express 3.

dlefebvre
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2005, 11:41 PM

I guess you could expect HDV support to be added to the next version of FinalCut Pro. Apple have been releasing their pro softwares during NAB for the last few years. Be patient NAB is in 3 months.

bmedina
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2005, 04:14 AM

Originally posted by dlefebvre:
I guess you could expect HDV support to be added to the next version of FinalCut Pro. Apple have been releasing their pro softwares during NAB for the last few years. Be patient NAB is in 3 months.
I'd expect an update adding support to come as soon as iMovie 5 and FC Express 3 arrive. It would be silly for both iMovie and FCE to support HDV while FCP does not, especially with Jobs claiming that 2005 is the year of high-definition video.

dlefebvre
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2005, 09:57 AM

Well, april is still in the first half of 2005. FinalCut Pro is considered a professional product and HDV is not, it's a prosumer product. As far as other HD format, DVC Pro HD is already supported and there's already a few HD capture cards out there allowing HD capture, even 4:4:4 uncompress HD. So at this point FinalCut is even in a better position than some $100 000 + editing systems.
( Last edited by dlefebvre; Jan 13, 2005 at 04:01 PM. )

mikellanes
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2005, 05:13 PM

Myself, I would like IMX support when HDV support comes out
"To sin by silence when they should protest makes cowards of men."
- A Lincoln

dlefebvre
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2005, 08:51 PM

If Apple's plan are to take over the world of video editing, they WILL HAVE TO support IMX. It's not too far fetched. It seems they have a good relationship with Sony on that level.

mikellanes
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2005, 12:10 AM

I have been doing a lot of research on the IMX issue, seems Flip4Mac.com is making the browing software (for the XDCAM decks) and can convert the IMX to Quictimes. But a future Final Cut wil support Native IMX.

They say the software will be available Q1 2005. so hopefully soon, at least that will be a stop-gap for me.

I don't expect an upgraded Final Cut soon, HD was just last year.

I know there are big enhancements coming, and they have even officially announced IMX and HDV support, so we will see if they issue a point upgrade for that before 5.0...

I think Core Image and Quicktime 7 may be required for some of this and that is a lil ways off.
"To sin by silence when they should protest makes cowards of men."
- A Lincoln

Feathers  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 19, 2005, 12:13 PM

Of course another concern is the continuing use of MPEG-2. To build a "new" HD technology (whether HDV or IMX) on an algorithm that has clearly and visibly been surpassed at this stage, seems a rather retrograde step. I know Micro$oft's antics put paid to a universal adoption of MPEG-4 as like Java, they chose to screw with it instead for their own unfathomable reasons. Ironically, this is exactly what spawned DivX and 3ivx etc. to the extent that there is now a sort of a standard with DivX certified players etc. Mind you, DivX exerting their licensing control of what was originally an independent MPEG-4 standard, is no different from what MicroSoft originally intended. As the saying goes: "...the wonderful thing about standards in the electronics industry is that there are so many to chose from!"

I digress, Sony pushing various technologies built on MPEG-2 is weird to say the least, but nothing new. Many would agree that Panasonic's DV variant at 4:1:1 was a sensible and superior route to Sony's 4:2:0 approach and DVCPro50 outstrips DVCAM, period. It's almost like Sony will go so far and no further with prosumer technologies for fear of cutting into top-end pro sales. Again, Panasonic's Varicam DVCProHD although at a different price point, is fundamentally a superior technology to HDV or IMX.

Bottom line, I think Sony are very good at giving customers what they "think" they want rather than what would actually be best for them. I mean, a virtually uneditable consumer video format, come on! Since the first iMacDV, consumers have expected that when they buy a digital camcorder, they can shoot, go home, plug it in and perform simple editing functions. The existing situation of trawling the web for solutions that may work up to a point is unacceptable. Ultimately, even Apple's Intermediate Codec solution is unacceptable, although it's very nice of Steve to bale out Sony from what was a dead-end format. Repeat after me, "MPEG-2 was never intended as an origination or editing format".
As an asymmetric codec, it was clearly intended for PLAYBACK only!

Finally you may ask, why do I even care? The answer is that with a MOFO G5 editing system sitting on the bench, it's embarrassing to have to tell people that you can't handle a pissy prosumer format. Annoying as it is, I can't tell clients what camera to buy!

Forum Links
Forum Rules