Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Windows Media Player uninstall - how?

Windows Media Player uninstall - how?
Sword of Orion
Forum Regular
Jul 31, 2002, 11:51 PM

A friend (hah!) sent me a file in Windows Media Player format that he said I "just had to see". I tried to get him to convert it to QuickTime, but he thought I should have WMP around. So, I installed it, watched the video, and now I want to uninstall WMP. Seems like the installer said that it was installing 95 files, but I can only find 7 or 8 that I can identify for sure as having been spawned by WMP. Anybody have any clue where the other 85-odd files are hiding, and/or how I can safely uninstall WMP?

fulmer
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2002, 06:52 AM

some programs have an uninstaller option in the installer program. run the installer again and see if it gives you that option.

if you can't get it uninstalled, I wouldn't worry. it is benign enough.

Sword of Orion  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 1, 2002, 01:16 PM

Nope, already checked for an uninstaller. My Windows friend said that since Windows itself features an "Add/Remove Program" option, most Windows apps don't have their own uninstaller, and that since WMP is a Microsoft product, it probably follows that standard - which means that us Mac users don't get an uninstall option.

The reason I'm worried is that the installer said that it was installing 95 files, yet I can only find 9 files that look like they came from the WMP install. Since I don't know where those missing 86 files are, I don't know what they're doing. Although my latest theory is this - I noticed one of the files is a jar file, so maybe it has 86 files archived inside of it? I'll have to see if I can remember how to open a jar file...

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 4, 2002, 03:29 PM

Originally posted by Sword of Orion:
Nope, already checked for an uninstaller. My Windows friend said that since Windows itself features an "Add/Remove Program" option, most Windows apps don't have their own uninstaller, and that since WMP is a Microsoft product, it probably follows that standard - which means that us Mac users don't get an uninstall option.

The reason I'm worried is that the installer said that it was installing 95 files, yet I can only find 9 files that look like they came from the WMP install. Since I don't know where those missing 86 files are, I don't know what they're doing. Although my latest theory is this - I noticed one of the files is a jar file, so maybe it has 86 files archived inside of it? I'll have to see if I can remember how to open a jar file...
If you're using OS X, delete the Media Player app in /Applications, and the Windows Media Plugin folder in /Library/Internet Plug-ins. That's it.

Under OS 9, there's a lot of junk installed all over the place...I'm afraid I can't help you there.

-spheric*

Fredo
Senior User
Aug 5, 2002, 02:42 PM

Check the preferences folder in your system folder. Use Sherlock to locate remaining WMP files.
Who are the Brain Police?

Sword of Orion  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 5, 2002, 03:27 PM

Spheric Harlot - I put it on my OS 9 disk because I didn't want to install anything that I might want to "clean up" on my X disk. Sounds like I should have put it on the X disk!

Fredo - I've already scrubbed the preferences folder, and I've tried every trick in the Sherlock book to find WMP files. (searching for "WMP", "Windows", "Media", "Player", etc...) I just can't find 95 of them. I was suspecting that there would be some invisible files, but I didn't find any.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Forum Links
Forum Rules