Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > PISMO OWNERS REJOICE! Battery time display hack for Tiger!!!

PISMO OWNERS REJOICE! Battery time display hack for Tiger!!!
phuture
Jun 30, 2006, 08:54 AM

Check it:

Yep, isn't that beautiful? Instead of saying, "Calculating... Remaining" forever, it now displays the estimated time remaining, quite accurately, I might add. Here's how I did it.

Ingredients:
A Pismo, best laptop ever made by Apple
OS X Tiger, debatable whether it's the best OS ever made by Apple
OS 9 (Please tell me you've kept it on your drive!)
One small file from the system folder of OS X Jaguar.

What you wanna do is dig into Jaguar's system folder and fetch a file. Go: System> Library> System Configuration> Power Management.bundle> Mac OS. Copy that file.

Next, boot your Pismo under System 9 so that you can dig into Tiger's system folder. Go: System> Library> System Configuration> and find the folder marked "Battery Updater.bundle." Trash that folder. Next, scroll down til you get to "Power Management.bundle" and swap out Tiger's Mac OS folder for the one you lifted from Jaguar.

Close everything up, reboot, and enjoy! Don't forget to repair disk permissions, just in case, as you did some transplanting.

I came up with this hack after upgrading my hard drive, then installing Tiger, and being frustrated with its inability to display battery time remaining / time til full charge. So far it's worked great! Pismo still sleeps then wakes, screen still dims automatically when switching from ac to battery, all the great power management features of Tiger!! Took me about two hours to get this hack right, switching files around. What I found is that much of Tiger's power management actually comes from the power mgmt extension in the extensions folder, but that stays intact.

This hack isn't perfect. I found you only have one setting each for battery power and ac power... no such thing as "normal, custom, high performance, better battery life"... everything is custom. But that's ok because it still switches power settings automatically when running on battery or on ac. Just those presets don't work anymore. Small price to pay, I guess. Also, the battery icons (when using two batteries) are still reversed, go figure.

I need your help, folks. Perhaps an experienced forum member or an admin??? I know not too many people have access to Jaguar, so I'd like to set this file up so Pismo users running Tiger can get that annoying bug fixed. Only thing is, I don't know how to do it. If anyone is interested in hosting this file so others can download it (or teach me so I can do it), I'd greatly appreciate it and so would a lot of Pismo owners!!!

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2006, 06:20 AM

It seems like Xcode would help here. I know there is a way to edit .plist files with it, though I couldn't be the one to tell anyone how.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jul 1, 2006, 02:32 PM

You don't need OS 9 to do this, you could just use the terminal, or log in as root. (Admittedly, a Pismo is likely to have a working copy of OS 9 installed, and it is a quick way to do it.)

tooki

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2006, 10:14 PM

what is it about the pismo, and pismo owners??

i had one. loved it.

but my 12" revC alubook blows it away:

faster
more powerful (i can run, for example, reason & logic together; not on the pismo however).
much better screen (and, in fact, THIS screen is blown away by the 15" powerbook).
more ram
more video ram
less weight
better battery life
& has held up better. (my cd drive was failing, the screen had faded, the battery life was bad).

etc...

again, i thought the pismo was an amazing laptop, but i would never go back...

"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

phuture  (op)
Jul 2, 2006, 09:15 AM

Thank u tooki for getting back to me to let me know how to host that file. Unfortunately, I don't have an ISP of my own, I use my college's wireless network. Too bad I can't host it myself or i would.

UPDATE: So I tried this on another Pismo running Tiger as well and I didn't trash the BatteryUpdater folder on that one, it still runs fine with or without it. So u can leave it in if u want. On the second pismo I did, I measured the ACTUAL running time of the machine before and after the hack, from battery full until nearly empty. Not really any difference in time running. I used a weak battery so I wouldn't have to wait so long and have it be an all-day affair.

Although all of the power management features of Tiger still seemed present, I wanted to make absolutely sure that actual use wouldn't be altered, with there being some of Jaguar's transplanted DNA in Tiger's system. Good news, running time is not affected at all!
reprazentin tha apple since 1987

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2006, 09:56 AM

Cool.

Let me get this straight: You DELETE BatteryUpdater.bundle, and copy PowerManagement.buncle from Jaguar onto the Pismo? Wouldn't you lose Tiger's powermanagement features?

But why didn't you use the files from Panther instead of Jaguar? Wouldn't the Panther ones be newer and more optimized? Or did you not have Panther?

My problem is I don't have a copy of Jaguar around anymore, but I do have a PPC running panther (G4 iMac). Can I use that file?

I want to try this as I use my Pismo because it has awsome battery life and I I can't justify buying a new MacBook (yet) for what I use the Pismo for. If I need speed, I use my Intel iMac (it rocks).

Update: I did the above using panther files and it works. I'll have to use the powerbook to see if battery life is changed.
( Last edited by Eriamjh; Jul 2, 2006 at 11:30 AM. )

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

phuture  (op)
Jul 2, 2006, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh
Cool.

Let me get this straight: You DELETE BatteryUpdater.bundle, and copy PowerManagement.buncle from Jaguar onto the Pismo? Wouldn't you lose Tiger's powermanagement features?

But why didn't you use the files from Panther instead of Jaguar? Wouldn't the Panther ones be newer and more optimized? Or did you not have Panther?

My problem is I don't have a copy of Jaguar around anymore, but I do have a PPC running panther (G4 iMac). Can I use that file?

I want to try this as I use my Pismo because it has awsome battery life and I I can't justify buying a new MacBook (yet) for what I use the Pismo for. If I need speed, I use my Intel iMac (it rocks).

Update: I did the above using panther files and it works. I'll have to use the powerbook to see if battery life is changed.
Hey Eriamjh, on my own pismo, I did delete the BatteryUpdater.bundle. On the second pismo I did, I DID NOT delete the BatteryUpdater.bundle and it made no difference. So leave it in if u want. Inside the PowerManagement.bundle, on the first level you'll see the version.plist and info.plist files as well as the Contents folder. Inside that is the MacOS folder, and inside that one is the file u need to replace. The info and version files need to stay Tiger to keep Tiger's power management features, I found. Why, I do not know.

Now... if only I can reverse the battery icons and find a way to get CPU thermal monitoring back into Tiger... any ideas?

***EDIT*** Hey, good to hear that Panther DNA works too!!! Yeah, I didn't have access to Panther but I did have OS X Jaguar handy on my old HD. I installed a Toshiba 100GB drive, 5400rpm/16mb cache and stuck my old 60gig 4200rpm unit inside a MCE expansion bay hard drive case, so the switch was really easy. Ideally, I would've liked to use Panther.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2006, 06:47 PM

I replace the entire Powermanagement bundle. I looked at the plists inside and didn't see anything spectacular. However, I have the original files so I can restore them at any time.

My Pismo is fully charged and ready for a night of battery use. I'll let you know tomorrow or later if it was any good.

Update: After a few hours, it has been working well. My two batteries reported 8h33m when I started and now report 6:31 left. One battery is a 7000mAh and the other a 2400mAh and the numbers seem right.

I'm satisfied with this hack. I consider it a success.
( Last edited by Eriamjh; Jul 2, 2006 at 09:35 PM. )

phuture  (op)
Jul 4, 2006, 08:47 PM

Special thanks to mBurns for hosting the file. Soon it'll be on the World Wide Web to help Pismo owners everywhere running Tiger! We'll have the address soon, and thanks to Eriamjh for bundling it up into a .sit format for easy download!!!

Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2006, 05:18 PM

easy boy

mBurns
Forum Regular
Jul 7, 2006, 06:02 PM

It's up on the web. Enjoy!

The site URL is: http://homepage.mac.com/milesburns/P...eSharing6.html

There is also another post about this..
MacBook Pro | 2.16 Ghz CD | 100 Gb HD | 2 Gb RAM | 10.4
iBook Clamshell | 466 Mhz | 60 Gb HD | 576 Mb RAM | 10.4

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 7, 2006, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by fisherKing
what is it about the pismo, and pismo owners??

i had one. loved it.

but my 12" revC alubook blows it away:

faster
more powerful (i can run, for example, reason & logic together; not on the pismo however).
much better screen (and, in fact, THIS screen is blown away by the 15" powerbook).
more ram
more video ram
less weight
better battery life
& has held up better. (my cd drive was failing, the screen had faded, the battery life was bad).

etc...

again, i thought the pismo was an amazing laptop, but i would never go back...

you forgot better looking.

oh, and, nice job of comparing the pismo to a powerbook that is several generations newer.

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jul 7, 2006, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by teknopimp
you forgot better looking.

oh, and, nice job of comparing the pismo to a powerbook that is several generations newer.

but that's the point...why is the pismo so revered? there ARE newer, better options...
and actually, i prefer the look of my 12" alu.

no biggie, anyway.

whatever gets the job done!
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.

mBurns
Forum Regular
Jul 7, 2006, 09:32 PM

but that's the point...why is the pismo so revered? there ARE newer, better options...
and actually, i prefer the look of my 12" alu.

no biggie, anyway.

whatever gets the job done!

Pismo's are wanted by people because they are able to run longer on battery (2 battery) and because of the case (black). I'm not a pismo owner but that is what I've heard from talking to people who enjoy using a pismo.
MacBook Pro | 2.16 Ghz CD | 100 Gb HD | 2 Gb RAM | 10.4
iBook Clamshell | 466 Mhz | 60 Gb HD | 576 Mb RAM | 10.4

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jul 8, 2006, 10:24 AM

Compared to my 15" AlBook, my Pismo:

- runs cooler
- has MUCH better ergonomics (no sharp front edge cutting into my wrists!!)
- has much better battery life -- in fact, my Pismo gets nearly as much life off a single 6 year old battery now as my AlBook did when its battery was new.
- has been more stable

tooki

finboy
Jul 12, 2006, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by tooki

- runs cooler
- has much better battery life -- in fact, my Pismo gets nearly as much life off a single 6 year old battery now as my AlBook did when its battery was new.
- has been more stable

tooki
What he said. Plus, I can boot in 9.2.2 whenever I want to.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jul 12, 2006, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by tooki

- runs cooler
- has been more stable

tooki

hmmm...
compared to my pismo, my 12' alubook:

-runs a little hotter (true...)
-is lighter, smaller, faster, more powerful, burns dvds, has more ram, a bigger harddrive, a better screen, better battery life (4.4 hours to my pismo's 2.6), has been much more stable (not wake-from-sleep crashes, only 1 kernal panic in 2 years)

just mentioning

phuture  (op)
Jul 13, 2006, 01:37 AM

hmmm...
compared to my pismo, my 12' alubook:

-runs a little hotter (true...)
-is lighter, smaller, faster, more powerful, burns dvds, has more ram, a bigger harddrive, a better screen, better battery life (4.4 hours to my pismo's 2.6), has been much more stable (not wake-from-sleep crashes, only 1 kernal panic in 2 years)

just mentioning
hmmm...
compared to your 12" alubook, my pismo:

-is slower at ripping cds, video work and 3D (true...)
-is bigger in the right places, has more ram (768), a bigger, faster hard drive with more cache (100GB, 5400rpm, 16MB cache) , a brighter, better glossy screen (now)
-is much more handsome (IMHO, of course)
-burns DVDs faster than yours (8X baby!)
-has better airport reception
-and don't even mention battery life. Given fresh batteries on both machines, any G3 powerbook will outlast any alubook away from the power outlet even without the second battery.

I should know. I bought a brand new 15"al last year, shelved the Pismo... had fun with the backlight, burned my thighs, then 2 weeks later sold it for a loss and went back to my Pismo.

In addition, certain Pismos such as mine (in a single session) can also:
-go from 100GB to 160GB (or more) onboard storage in less than five seconds
-burn DVDs AND
-archive files on diskette or Superdisk for Windows or vintage Mac users
-boot directly into OS 9 without using OS X Classic
-go all all day (literally) on a single charge WITH wireless and bluetooth running... Powers of the expansion bay, baby. Your little al do that??? sure...

My point here isn't to bash your 12" alu, but to illustrate that EVERY machine has its strengths and weaknesses. little al is faster (of course) and Pismo is more versatile. If you don't like your Pismo, fine, sell it to someone who would, sounds like it's neglected anyway, just quit posting how much better you think your machine is. My machine isn't great at everything, and neither is your little al. This thread was about restoring missing features to Tiger, not about how much better your laptop made three generations after its predecessor is.

just mentioning
( Last edited by phuture; Jul 13, 2006 at 01:50 AM. )

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2006, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by phuture
hmmm...

-is slower at ripping cds, video work and 3D (true...)
-is bigger in the right places, has more ram (768), a bigger, faster hard drive with more cache (100GB, 5400rpm, 16MB cache) , a brighter, better glossy screen (now)
-is much more handsome (IMHO, of course)
-burns DVDs faster than yours (8X baby!)
-has better airport reception
-and don't even mention battery life. Given fresh batteries on both machines, any G3 powerbook will outlast any alubook away from the power outlet even without the second battery.

I should know. I bought a brand new 15"al last year, shelved the Pismo... had fun with the backlight, burned my thighs, then 2 weeks later sold it for a loss and went back to my Pismo.

In addition, certain Pismos such as mine (in a single session) can also:
-go from 100GB to 160GB (or more) onboard storage in less than five seconds
-burn DVDs AND
-archive files on diskette or Superdisk for Windows or vintage Mac users
-boot directly into OS 9 without using OS X Classic
-go all all day (literally) on a single charge WITH wireless and bluetooth running... Powers of the expansion bay, baby. Your little al do that??? sure...

My point here isn't to bash your 12" alu, but to illustrate that EVERY machine has its strengths and weaknesses. little al is faster (of course) and Pismo is more versatile. If you don't like your Pismo, fine, sell it to someone who would, sounds like it's neglected anyway, just quit posting how much better you think your machine is. My machine isn't great at everything, and neither is your little al. This thread was about restoring missing features to Tiger, not about how much better your laptop made three generations after its predecessor is.

just mentioning

easy, there. i sold my pismo 2 years ago to a friend, who loves it.
if yours does what you need, that's great.

i couldn't do what i need most (reason rewired to logic), now i can. and am happy.

whatever works.

peace!

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2006, 08:09 AM

Pismos can't take 160GB drives. 120GB max because they have ATA5s IDEs, not ATA6s which are required for more than 120/137GB.

phuture  (op)
Jul 16, 2006, 02:32 PM

100GB under the keyboard +
(in my case,) 60GB in the expansion bay =

going from 100GB to 160GB onboard storage in less than five seconds.

Just flip the lever (depending on drive configuration, your mileage may vary).

Expansion-bay drives regularly still fetch $110+ on ebay for the old VST units. MCE Technologies makes their own, and it's smaller than the VSTs (about the size of a battery -vs- the size of a DVD module) and it's very, very high quality (except for the LED indicator). You can check it out HERE.

The kit they sell is much more useful if you already have an old drive lying around. Since there's tons of room in the second hard drive, I keep a backup OS and TTP on it, should the unimaginable happen to my main drive. Booting and running from an expansion bay drive, once you get past the initial drive selection screen, is just as fast as the main drive.

Mackie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 16, 2006, 02:40 PM

He was prolly thinking about the internal drive plus one in the bay. That could theoretically go up to 240 GB with two 120 GB drives.

finboy
Aug 10, 2006, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by mBurns
Pismo's are wanted by people because they are able to run longer on battery (2 battery) and because of the case (black). I'm not a pismo owner but that is what I've heard from talking to people who enjoy using a pismo.
And... it boots OS 9. Big advantage for some of us.

weremichael
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2006, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by mBurns
It's up on the web. Enjoy!

The site URL is: Apple .Mac

There is also another post about this..
Did anyone archive this homepage.mac site because it has gone 404. My newly aquired Pismo is going from OS X.0.3 to OS X.4 and I don't have a copy of Jaguar or Panther anywhere in the house. If someone could post where I can get the correct file and what the most preferred directions are to running this hack, I would be so greatly appreciative.

Thank you for your help,

Michael

Sorry to interrupt the my mac is better than your mac discussion.

!!!!EDIT UPDATE!!!

I found the little files here: Battery Fix

phuture  (op)
Sep 27, 2006, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by weremichael
Did anyone archive this homepage.mac site because it has gone 404. My newly aquired Pismo is going from OS X.0.3 to OS X.4 and I don't have a copy of Jaguar or Panther anywhere in the house. If someone could post where I can get the correct file and what the most preferred directions are to running this hack, I would be so greatly appreciative.

Thank you for your help,

Michael

Sorry to interrupt the my mac is better than your mac discussion.

!!!!EDIT UPDATE!!!

I found the little files here: Battery Fix
About a month ago I updated this hack, apparently in the previous version I released there were some issues with frozen power settings. The one u downloaded is the old version. Most likely, it works but if you'd like the newest version, PM me and I'll email it to u. The newest version is also packaged with a readme file. Heads up: I haven't heard of anyone thus far splicing this hack into the OS successfully with Terminal, so for now looks like OS9 will be a necessity.

Congrats on your new Pismo!

weremichael
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2006, 07:58 PM

phuture: I PMed you about getting the new version of the file. I downloaded the old one and installed it. This is what I did:

I logged in as root, drug the old powermanagement.bundle to the trash and plopped in the new one and rebooted. On reboot I checked the file and it shows a date of Apr 3, 2005, 11:44 PM (which is the same date for the bundle I downloaded). It does show battery time correctly.

Thanks for the congrats on the new pismo. It is replacing an original blue clamshell that has a powersupply issue. The best part is that I scavenged the airport card and a 256mb ram stick from the ibook. Now I need to get around to selling the ibook for parts. The pismo came with a working battery, no dead pixels, and even a working dvd drive. It was pretty cheap too . Between selling the iBook and a Powerbook 1400, the Pismo will be more than paid for.

I love it. For a web browsing/email/streaming iTunes machine, I couldn't be any happier with a new mactel (and as to not start a new threadjacking, I KNOW THE NEWER POWERBOOKS/MACBOOKS ARE FASTER). The Pismo is just so damn sexy. The only thing that I am going to do is upgrade to a 60 or 80 gb 7200 hard drive.

phuture  (op)
Sep 28, 2006, 12:06 AM

Sweet mike! OK, so we do know for sure that root works!!! I dunno about a 7200rpm hard drive tho... will a G3 processor be able to make use of it or will a 5400rpm unit be sufficient? I actually miss the silence of my old 60gig 4200rpm unit... this new 100gig/16mb/5400rpm drive is awesome, but there's always a very soft, ambient whooshing ever so slightly, kind of like an a/c vent in a quiet office.

Anyone interested in hosting the updated file?

Quick note on what my Pismo's been up to (besides getting a 550mhz G4 motor dropped in)-- I was awarded a scholarship to study in D.C. while interning at the Smithsonian's Museum of American History while they're closed for major renovations. So I'm living in Virginia for this semester. I'm helping them set up a database for one of their sub-collections that occasionally get loaned to schools or other educational institutions... it's not 'officially' a part of the museum's collection on display to the public. They specified what they wanted, so I did the layout, and they also requested photos of each item in there. Anyone knows what a hellish experience it is working with photos in a database on a windows machine, so I requested a mac. They have a "broken" quiksilver G4 tower that they're gonna throw away and won't let me have a look at it (boots up fine, prolly a software issue), a 1st gen 400mhz G4 tower that runs like a charm and it's meeting the scrap heap as well... what a waste... and only one alubook that's shared by I don't know how many people and I have to que up to have a chance with it, so rather than sitting around waiting 4 my turn, I'm using my Pismo to set up the database for the "Nation's Attic." Pretty darn sweet how a six-year old Pismo is contributing to the betterment of the world's largest museum!
( Last edited by phuture; Sep 28, 2006 at 12:22 AM. )

jopoy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 12, 2006, 08:27 PM

Anyone interested in hosting the updated file?

Hi! Where can I get the file?

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 14, 2006, 09:43 PM

Right Click this link to see if this works:

Panther Pismo PowerManagement.bundle File Zipped

I'll leave it here as long as possible. This is the Panther version. It works fine on my Pismo.

phuture  (op)
Oct 15, 2006, 12:42 PM

I have the updated version with installation instructions and readme file but no one to host!!!

So if anyone wants it, pm me with your email address and I'll send it to u.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 15, 2006, 01:59 PM

Send me the file zipped and I'll host it.

tigas
Forum Regular
Oct 16, 2006, 12:32 AM

I just use the "Juice" widget. Somehow, it can calculate how much time remaining I have in my battery, and it's never wrong by much. I guess it gets the remaining mAh and consumption rate from IOKit and then makes the calculations itself instead of relying on the services of OSX, which don't work on a Pismo.
My Mac is a Pismo G4/550: 1GB RAM, 40GB 5.4k, Airport, DVD-R, and still black, silent and curvaceous!

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 16, 2006, 12:05 PM

Juice doesn't work with two batteries. But it does work with one.

senglund
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 16, 2006, 10:31 AM

Hi - I did this (replacing powermanagement bundle with one I downloaded from above). Battery time display works great but the trackpad clicker gets really really hot. The pismo generally runs pretty warm but this clicker has never been hot before. I took the battery out and the end plug thing was boiling. Is this a normal thing?? I can't switch back to Tiger powermanagement bundle - I was so happy with results I trashed the file. Any suggestions?

phuture  (op)
Nov 16, 2006, 02:12 PM

Whoa, that is very odd indeed!

Ever since I figured this thing out earlier this year, I've used my Pismo every day and have never had a problem with the trackpad are getting hot. Admittedly the one you downloaded was probably the first version of the hack. Did it have a readme file included? If not, it was the first version but even that did not heat the trackpad!

Interesting to note that the power management unit is located right underneath the trackpad (and veterans, please correct me if I'm wrong). Here's what I'd suggest:

1) Boot into OS9 (or any other intact OS other than Tiger).
2) Do the same kind of work you were doing, and see if the trackpad still heats up.

If the trackpad DOES NOT heat up under OS9 but still does under Tiger, then u know something with the hack went terribly wrong when u put it in and now it's frying your power management board. However, if it still heats up under OS9 as well as Tiger, then my guess is the board had failed, and it's most likely a sick coincidence it failed the same time as u hacked it. If it is just under Tiger that it gets warm, immediately do a clean reinstall of Tiger. Hopefully it's just software and the OS9 test above should isolate it.

God forbid your PMU board failed, but if it did, you could probably pick one up for some spare change on ebay from those shameless Pismo scrappers. PMU board, not sound board. How's the battery life? Bad battery can cause the PMU to work overtime trying to give it a charge.

BTW, has anyone else had this problem?

pismodude
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 10, 2007, 03:48 PM

Can someone send me the hack with the read me file? My e-mail is [email protected] Thanks i would love to have this so i can tell how much time my battey has! Thanks alot!

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2007, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by pismodude View Post
Can someone send me the hack with the read me file? My e-mail is [email protected] Thanks i would love to have this so i can tell how much time my battey has! Thanks alot!
I can't find the readme file.
Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post
Right Click this link to see if this works:

Panther Pismo PowerManagement.bundle File Zipped

I'll leave it here as long as possible. This is the Panther version. It works fine on my Pismo.
I emailed you the above file.
Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post
I replaced the entire Powermanagement bundle. I looked at the plists inside and didn't see anything spectacular. However, I have the original files so I can restore them at any time.

I'm satisfied with this hack. I consider it a success.
If you can do the swap by using OS9, you will have no issues (run permissions repair after you boot OSX.

Good luck.

pismodude
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 11, 2007, 03:08 PM

Ok i have the zip file know but i do not know what to do. How do i get this installed so it will show my battery time? Thanks any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2007, 05:20 PM

What you wanna do is dig into Jaguar's system folder and fetch a file. Go: System> Library> System Configuration> Power Management.bundle> Mac OS. Copy that file.

Next, boot your Pismo under System 9 so that you can dig into Tiger's system folder. Go: System> Library> System Configuration> and find the folder marked "Battery Updater.bundle." Trash that folder. Next, scroll down til you get to "Power Management.bundle" and swap out Tiger's Mac OS folder for the one you lifted from Jaguar.
In System> Library> System Configuration> replace Power Management.bundle with the one in the zip file.

darkmatter
Forum Regular
May 11, 2007, 05:56 PM

Hello

Very cool hack!
Thank you!

Best Regards
From my Pismo with HSDPA connection

pismodude
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 14, 2007, 02:08 AM

For those who do not have OS 9 on there pismo you can boot from the OS 9 cd and did this hack. It works!
Is the time accurate on everyone's pismo? Thanks!

phuture  (op)
May 14, 2007, 06:21 AM

For those who do not have OS 9 on there pismo you can boot from the OS 9 cd and did this hack. It works!
Is the time accurate on everyone's pismo? Thanks!
ever since figuring it out last year, i've been rockin this hack with absolutely ZERO problems! Battery time is always accurate, as accurate as any other PB. Goes 2 sleep ok, wakes fine, dims screen when switching from main to battery power, etc. etc. Also, in the time since i first did the hack (see the pic at the top of this post), I put in a Daystar G4 upgrade and bought a new aftermarket battery. No issues with either. It also still gives reserve power warnings too. Runs perfectly fine!

p.s. what's a HSDPA connection?

thanx 4 the tip pismodude!
( Last edited by phuture; May 14, 2007 at 06:26 AM. Reason: add on)

pismodude
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 14, 2007, 11:20 AM

Thats awsome! I haven't really used mine much since the hack. I just got it done last night! BUt i just wanted to make sure that it was accurate. Thanks!

pismodude
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 14, 2007, 11:27 AM

I do have one question. Is it normal for the time to jump around a little after you unplug it. Mine started at 6:30 and then jumped to like 5:45 after a minute and then up to 6:16 and then back down. Do i need to calibrate it after i do this hack? Thanks and please let me know!

pismodude
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 14, 2007, 11:28 AM

One last question. In the system profiler it won't bring up my battery info is that because of this hack or what? Thanks!

darkmatter
Forum Regular
May 14, 2007, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by phuture View Post
p.s. what's a HSDPA connection?
HSDPA stands for High Speed Downlink Packet Access
High-Speed Downlink Packet Access - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... and can be used with a Pismo...

PD: As it can be read in wikipedia, Fujitsu, Acer, Dell, HTC, HP, Lenovo, Panasonic and Flybook offer this technology to their customers, in some cases as long as 1 year ago. My card is an Option and runs quite well on my 7 year old Pismo. Option also offers embedded wireless modules to laptop manufacturers, maybe the next decade we will see it in MBPs...
( Last edited by darkmatter; May 14, 2007 at 02:33 PM. )

darkmatter
Forum Regular
May 14, 2007, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by phuture View Post
hmmm...
-a brighter, better glossy screen (now)
May I know the model of that screen?

phuture  (op)
May 16, 2007, 12:03 PM

I do have one question. Is it normal for the time to jump around a little after you unplug it. Mine started at 6:30 and then jumped to like 5:45 after a minute and then up to 6:16 and then back down. Do i need to calibrate it after i do this hack? Thanks and please let me know!
One last question. In the system profiler it won't bring up my battery info is that because of this hack or what? Thanks!
yeah, that jumping around is normal for all PBs and OSs. Battery expectancy changes with processor use, peripherals drawing power, etc... etc... dunno about ur battery not showing up in system profiler tho. no need 2 calibrate the battery unless its brand new.

Originally Posted by darkmatter View Post
May I know the model of that screen?
darkmatter: for the screen look here: http://forums.macnn.com/73/mac-modif...glossy-screen/

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2007, 07:33 AM

Kickass, thanks for the fix. Worked like a charm. But what is it about Tiger's power management features I've lost by replacing the file? What's the difference
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 9, 2007, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by D'Espice View Post
Kickass, thanks for the fix. Worked like a charm. But what is it about Tiger's power management features I've lost by replacing the file? What's the difference
Nothing detectable.

Forum Links
Forum Rules