Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Kanga Price- Too Much?

Kanga Price- Too Much?
masons247
Jul 3, 2006, 07:42 PM

Hi. I just bought a Powerbook 3500 with a 250MHz processor, a 7Gig Hard drive, a 20X cd drive, an AC adapter, a bookendz docking station, and 64MB of ram for $26.00 + $20.00 shipping. Did I pay to much for this machine?

Also, I have a few questions.

the battery is dead, where can i get a new one for cheap?

does it have an ethernet port, or just 56k?

and what kind of ram does it use? i cant settle for 64MB.

romeosc
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2006, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by masons247
Hi. I just bought a Powerbook 3500 with a 250MHz processor, a 7Gig Hard drive, a 20X cd drive, an AC adapter, a bookendz docking station, and 64MB of ram for $26.00 + $20.00 shipping. Did I pay to much for this machine?

Also, I have a few questions.

the battery is dead, where can i get a new one for cheap?

does it have an ethernet port, or just 56k?

and what kind of ram does it use? i cant settle for 64MB.

http://www.lowendmac.com/pb2/g3.shtml

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 3, 2006, 09:32 PM

So you paid $46 for everything? That seems like a good deal to me.
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

phuture
Jul 4, 2006, 06:46 AM

As with nearly all Powerbooks Apple has introduced, it was at one time THE fastest laptop on the planet. The Kanga is faster than its successor, the Wallstreet. It still is a viable machine for word processing and fast enough for internet browsing, although u definitely wanna get more RAM and possibly install OS X using Xpostfacto. Your 7-gig hard drive will be spacious enough for most light to medium duty use.

OS Jaguar might be the best bet if you're gonna move to OSX. If you do a full clean-up and install on your drive, a minimal install of Jaguar (not installing printer drivers, language packs, and BSD subsystem) with system 9 will probably occupy about 1.5 gigs of space on your drive still leaving u with over 5 gigs of room.

I don't know what kinds of cells the Kanga battery uses but check out:
http://www.batteryrefill.com

They take the dead cells out of your battery and stick in new ones, usually with higher capacity than the stock cells.

The bookendz docking station alone is almost worth the purchase price IMO. Don't smoke crack. You got an awesome deal!!! Congrats on your score!
reprazentin tha apple since 1987

webb3201
Senior User
Jul 5, 2006, 11:31 AM

That is a nice deal. Try a bit more ram and enjoy a very capable OS9 machine. I dissagree on the OSX comment, you would gain little and would never be happy with the speed. Stick to OS9 and you will have a very capable machine.
Read my MacWebb column and other great Mac articles at Lowendmac.com

Owner of a MacBook Pro and various other Macs.

Forum Links
Forum Rules