Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > iBook G3 Graphite: which plastic-filler before painting mod?

iBook G3 Graphite: which plastic-filler before painting mod?
HowEver
Jun 30, 2006, 11:54 AM

I'm going to be modding two graphite iBooks, one FireWire 466, one is a 366. They are very different cases.

The 466 has some marks on it including a missing leaf above the Apple, and the 366 is quite nice but has a smal crack on the top side.

Both areas would benefit from some kind of plastic filler, either on its own or before painting. I'm planning to use Krylon Fusion paint for the painting, btw.

Can anyone recommend some kind of plastic filler substance brand and where to obtain it?

Thanks.

HowEver  (op)
Jul 10, 2006, 10:01 PM

If no one knows about the paint/plastic filler, does anyone know where I should look?

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 11, 2006, 02:12 AM

an auto body shop may be able to point you in the right direction.

SexySkirts
Banned
Jul 11, 2006, 12:26 PM

I would suggest not painting htem. You'll get scratches and stuff will start to flake off. It's just the nature of paint on top of the plastic. If you painted the inside that would actually work.

phuture
Jul 11, 2006, 03:18 PM

Use Testors Putty instead of plastic filler. Auto body filler is too tough, you'll sand away the plastic before you sand away the filler. Putty is available at hobby shops... it is used to modify model cars. Think of it as "body filler" for plastic models.

Stay away from Krylon Fusion. I've used it before and the paint spiderwebs at the first slight impact. You're better off sanding the base using 600grit sandpaper, then following up with a light coat of laquer primer, sanding that smooth, another LIGHT coat of primer, another sand, then your topcoat. Lots of work but anything done quality is.

good luck!
reprazentin tha apple since 1987

Forum Links
Forum Rules