Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Help !!! should i get a macbook or pro

Help !!! should i get a macbook or pro
crzdc0l0mbian
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 29, 2006, 05:48 PM

I am a college student and am tired of windows... my bro has had a G4 for a long time and has never given him any problems.. and my roommate had a powerbook and never had to update anything during school but because i had windows, i was forced to download like 20 mins of stuff every fews days which was very annoying...

any way, i am just wondering what u guys say i should get...

the thing that worries me about a Macbook is A they seem to be getting way WAY too hot... i hear that they have more problems than the pro, like the color and heat.... also the video card... im not going to be playin video games on it because i have a xbox 360 and will prob buy the ps3 so it has nothing to do with games for me, but is 64 mb of shared video memory to small..

i am intersted in using imovie and photoshop but i dont no how much of that I will use...

the pro seems great... with the backlight keyboard and the better graphics card.. but is it really worth 1000 more just to have 2 ichs more on ur screen, a better graphic card..... also the Pro is the same speed as the regular macbook

Langdon
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 29, 2006, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by crzdc0l0mbian
I am a college student

the pro seems great... with the backlight keyboard and the better graphics card.. but is it really worth 1000 more just to have 2 ichs more on ur screen, a better graphic card
Macbook

fesdds
Jul 29, 2006, 09:35 PM

MacBook all the way.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Jul 29, 2006, 10:28 PM

macbook for college use = perfect
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

chipchen
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2006, 10:29 PM

If you need a 15" screen or the power of a MBP, get the MBP, if 13" is fine and you just need a better experience.. get a MacBook. (and don't forget the free iPod)

crzdc0l0mbian  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 30, 2006, 12:06 AM

yea I have always used desktops ... so i am a bit worried about the whole 13in screen but im sure as soon as I use it for a while it wont be that big of a diff...

but the MB and MBP dont seem any diff other than the whole video card thing.. if im not mistaken

masugu
Senior User
Jul 30, 2006, 01:39 AM

The MBP also has a *slightly* faster CPU option - the 2.16Ghz Core Duo....You can bet they will get Merom soon (End of August) But it really does not sound like you need it.
masugu - "Straight Ahead"
BlacBook Core Duo / Original Intel-based MB - DIY Core i7 PC |

gnomexp
Forum Regular
Jul 30, 2006, 01:52 PM

Get the MacBook. Photoshop will run fine on it. The MBP is a bit extravagent, especially since you're not gaming. You will GREATLY appreciate the durable plastic case so you don't have to freak out when carrying your laptop out of case.

Thraxes
Jul 30, 2006, 02:11 PM

Do you game or can your gaming habits be quelled by a game console? If you really really like your computer games such as WoW, CounterStrike:Source etc then you just might want to consider a MBP. If you habit can be quelled with a Playstation, XBox or Wii then get the MacBook.
-- I love PC gaming and help organize large LAN parties (300+ peeps) and like visiting them aswell so a notebook which can do it all is nice.

Do you do any 3D artwork/rendering? Consider getting the MBP, the accelleration by the GPU is very welcome. If you dont, the MacBook will suffice.
-- I do quite a bit of work in Blender and waiting for the integrated graphics to shuffle my polygons around is not nice

If you are worried about the 13" screen, get a 20" Dell widescreen LCD for your dorm (do chain it to your desk though ). It is reasonably priced and it has standard Video/S-Video inputs for a game console. Think about that!
15" MBP - 2.16 - 2GB - 120GB + 500GB External
Backup: Athlon XP2200+ - 1GB - 600GB
MythTV DVR: Intel PIII-500 MHz - 384MB - 60GB

crzdc0l0mbian  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 30, 2006, 02:23 PM

cool ill get the macbook... yea i dont like PC games, I actually rather play single player games like oblivion or sports games like fifa.... i played FF11 and i have to say that was like the worst game ever, and i never got into star craft or any of those pc games

Forum Links
Forum Rules