Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > 1.5GHz core solo mac mini fan coming on and off

1.5GHz core solo mac mini fan coming on and off
chenyichung
Forum Regular
May 21, 2007, 11:25 PM

hey guys,

just got a mac mini
fan kick into full gear one min and then silent the next
it's not even based on how hard the processor is thinking
i'll just be surfing the web and then it'll gradually kick into full blast for like 1 min., then gradually go back to silent
is this normal?
do any of you other mini owners hear their fan often?

-Yi Chen

chenyichung  (op)
Forum Regular
May 23, 2007, 11:25 PM

can anyone help?

bearcatrp
Senior User
May 24, 2007, 07:29 AM

Shoudn't be doing that but install temp monitor to see if the temp is spiking. If it is, check system monitor and see if there is a program running in the background your not aware of that might be doing that. Otherwise, repair permissions, verify the disk for starters. You might have to wipe the hard drive clean and reinstall. Is this brand new? Is there plenty of space around it to breath? How much ram is in it?
Randy
2010 Mac Mini, 32GB iPod Touch, 2 Apple TV (1)
Home built 12 core 2.93 Westmere PC (almost half the cost of MP) Win7 64.

chenyichung  (op)
Forum Regular
May 24, 2007, 09:03 AM

Thanks for the response, here’s more information about my situation
Ok, so it’s a 1.5GHz Intel core solo, I’ve just added 1GB of memory for a total of 1.25GB. It’s not brand new, there’s about 70 days left on apple care.
I’ve already done an erase and install. There is plenty of space around it to breath.

I’ve read that a lot people are experiencing this problem.
Sometimes it’s because they forgot to plug the black cable back in after taking apart the mini to install ram. But in those cases, the fan stays on constantly.

In my case, the fan will slowly get louder and louder until it’s on full blast, and then die back down slowly, and for no reason at all. I mean I’m just surfing the web when this happens.

I’m thinking maybe it needs new thermal paste on the processor maybe?
That the paste on there has worn out and the processor is getting hot just from surfing the web?

I do know one think when I was updating the software, it must have downloaded the firmware update too, and started it without me know. Cause’ I started the software update before I went to work, and when I got back the screen was gray and the fans were on full blasts. So somehow, the firmware started without me knowing, and when I got back, the fans were on full blast.

But it was successful, cause’ when I logged in, that window came up saying it was successful…

I’m lost, should I take to apple store?

Forum Links
Forum Rules