Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > no wireless on 24" iMac C2D *HELP*

no wireless on 24" iMac C2D *HELP*
chenyichung
Forum Regular
Jun 6, 2007, 02:30 AM

hey guys,

ok, so this 24" iMac is amazing, except for the fact that the wireless stopped working only after a week
it was working in the morning before i went to work, and when i got home the wireless bars at the top right were all gray. and also iChat had signed me off cause' i signed on AIMexpress at work, i'm pretty sure that has nothing to do with my wireless not working.
anyways, i clicked on the wireless icon at the top right, and nothing is there for me to select.
i have two other machine in the house, both farther way and receiving signal fine.
I have the Netgear rangemax, the one with all the cool blue lights on top.

so yea, i called apple tech support, and after all the "testing", they said my airport chip probably died, so i have to take it into a store and have it replaced.

the problem is i don't want to, don't have time.

is there any way for me to make sure 100% that my airport chip is dead?

also if i just by a wireless usb adapter, can i just use that to connect?
i know linksys is completely incompatible with macs. how about netgear or belkin? and models in particular?

thanks for reading, and help would be great!

bearcatrp
Senior User
Jun 6, 2007, 07:53 AM

Run the hardware test from your install cd. If is dead, I would get it repaired. Yeah it sucks taking away your time but for what you paid for it, it should be working top notch. I have the 24 inch and don't have any problems. One thing to check is your keychain. Delete all info regarding your connection and start over setting up your wireless. I had this problem when I first tried to connect wirelessly and after trashing the info in keychain, I got it working. Might want to run disk utility and verify your disk and repair permissions too.
Randy
2010 Mac Mini, 32GB iPod Touch, 2 Apple TV (1)
Home built 12 core 2.93 Westmere PC (almost half the cost of MP) Win7 64.

chenyichung  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 6, 2007, 08:00 AM

i ran the hardware test i think, that's where you hold down the D key at start up right?
nothing was wrong
are you sure the hardware test would pick it up?

haven't tried verify and repair permissions

also, i've already performed an erase and install, should i still do the verify and repair permissions?

chenyichung  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 18, 2007, 11:32 PM

took it into the apple store.
airport was dead
they had parts in the store
fixed by the end of the day
great experience for once!

Forum Links
Forum Rules