Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Close-lid operation--> macbook

Close-lid operation--> macbook
canadian
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 21, 2007, 04:44 PM

I searched and didn't find any answers relavent to the macbook.
Is there anyway to run the macbook with the lid closed without it going to sleep?
I want to beable to burn a cd/dvd or download files without having to leave the screen/lid open, and without it going to sleep when I close it.

Is this possible?
I read it was possible for the ibook, but couldn't find anything regarding the macbook.

Thanks

liquidsilver6840
Forum Regular
Jul 21, 2007, 05:35 PM

Yeah, it can be done. Download Sleepless.

MacBook 1.83Ghz Core Duo / 1GB RAM / 60GB HDD
iPod Nano First Gen 1GB Black

canadian  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 21, 2007, 06:34 PM

It says it's shareware...is there a free program to do this?

Cold Warrior
Jul 21, 2007, 10:25 PM

Read the comments at the bottom of that macupdate page. A couple reviewers provide links to 2 other free alternatives.

JustinHorne
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 21, 2007, 10:43 PM

Alternatively, kinda...
If you have an external display and keyboard/mouse, as I do, you can close the lid, and then wake it with your external kb/mouse. It works that way as well.

canadian  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 22, 2007, 12:13 AM

Does anyone have any experience with caffiene or doze?

turntabletux
Aug 1, 2007, 08:14 PM

I have read on the forum somewhere that it is bad for your macbook if you run it while it's closed. Is this true, or just a myth. I would like to run my apps while my lid is closed.

MacBook Core 2 Duo 2GHZ 1GB of RAM

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 1, 2007, 08:28 PM

This comes up more or less every week - I so wish it could be sticky. It is FINE to operate the MacBook with the lid closed.

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Aug 2, 2007, 12:26 AM

I was able to get it to work without any other software... I just closed the lid and started pressing keys on my keyboard and it woke up...
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.16 (Black)
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

xsphat
Forum Regular
Aug 2, 2007, 03:38 AM

I always have the lid on my MacBook closed, and I routinely run at least three apps from CS3, Word, 2 browsers and a handful of other programs all at the same time. There is no way that running a modern Mac with the lid closed is any worse than having it open. Just buy a screen and a mouse and never worry about it again.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 2, 2007, 07:34 AM

It's a myth that closed-lid operation can caus damage to MB(P)s. Apple describes the operation mode and endorses its use. There is no reason to believe they would do this if it could do damage and cost them a lot of money due to additional warranty repair.

I've been using several PBs, MBs, and MBPs in closed-lid mode for various amounts of time and in some cases under high load for longer periods. I have never encountered a single issue.

canadian  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 10, 2007, 10:47 PM

I don't mean closed lid operation while using an external keyboard and mouse, I mean leaving the lid closed while applications or whatever is running and coming back an hour or more later and it not have gone to sleep (since sleep stops the downloading, etc)

Forum Links
Forum Rules