Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook Pro Logic Board - where to buy?

Macbook Pro Logic Board - where to buy?
lpranal
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2007, 09:15 PM

So as I get the sinking suspicion that i'm going to need at least a new logic board / motherboard before my 15" MBP works again, I'm trying to find the most inexpensive place to get the parts. Apple is out, wayyyy to expensive... I found a logic board replacement service on ebay for around 500 USD... wondering how much i might be able to get the part myself for (i'm very comfortable working on laptops). I've been trying ebay for the past couple days, it's pretty sparse there. Any suggestions?

Also I'm wondering if it would be possible to upgrade the board to the Santa Rosa chipset w/ geforce 8600M... Right now i've got a 2.16 C2D with x1600 (128 ram).

Any help would be much appreciated- thanks!

Rumor
Aug 8, 2007, 09:40 PM

No Applecare?
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

lpranal  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2007, 10:34 PM

Not sure if apple will cover this one. Kinda doubt it, but i'm going to try... either way, it'll give me a better idea of exactly what needs fixing, be it the logic board, dc-in board, power switch, etc.

Rumor
Aug 8, 2007, 10:51 PM

If you have Applecare and the logic board went out, then they should cover it. Unless you broke it somehow...

romeosc
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2007, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
If you have Applecare and the logic board went out, then they should cover it. Unless you broke it somehow...

items not covered under Applecare should be covered under homeowners. Accidental damage, electrical surge, water etc!

highstakes
Senior User
Aug 8, 2007, 11:52 PM

I think Apple replaced those logic boards for free...I have a similar model MBP and I got a new logic board when they replaced my fan.
( Last edited by highstakes; Aug 9, 2007 at 12:29 AM. )

Rumor
Aug 9, 2007, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by romeosc View Post
items not covered under Applecare should be covered under homeowners. Accidental damage, electrical surge, water etc!
Homeowners covers fire, theft and vandalism. It does not cover accidental damage. It may or may not cover power surge.

Regardless, the deductible applies, which in most cases is more than the logic board.

mfbernstein
Senior User
Aug 9, 2007, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by lpranal View Post
I've been trying ebay for the past couple days, it's pretty sparse there. Any suggestions?

Also I'm wondering if it would be possible to upgrade the board to the Santa Rosa chipset w/ geforce 8600M... Right now i've got a 2.16 C2D with x1600 (128 ram).

Any help would be much appreciated- thanks!
Santa Rosa boards are going to be almost impossible to find. Not enough out on the market. This is the general problem.

If the $500 deal is for real, that's about as good as you'll do. Honestly, you may just be better off selling the parts from your current machine on eBay and getting a replacement.

Forum Links
Forum Rules