Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Segfault help

Segfault help
mattack1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 16, 2009, 04:34 PM

I need help with a segfault. Ive been running this client for a week or two and then after I updated my mac with the latest updates, I got a segfault when trying to play. I need some help with fixing this so please help.

Code:
Last login: Wed Sep 16 16:18:18 on console Macintosh:~ matt$ cd /Users/matt/Desktop/ballerzcape-1/Client/ Macintosh:Client matt$ JAVA -Xmx500m EGUI 'ello People BallerZcape Client Ballerzcape.Co.Cc Sprite: invback 0 loaded. Sprite: chatback 0 loaded. Sprite: backbase1 0 loaded. Sprite: backbase2 0 loaded. Sprite: backhmid1 0 loaded. Sprite: sideicons 0 loaded. Sprite: sideicons 1 loaded. Sprite: sideicons 2 loaded. Sprite: sideicons 3 loaded. Sprite: sideicons 4 loaded. Sprite: sideicons 5 loaded. Sprite: sideicons 6 loaded. Sprite: sideicons 7 loaded. Sprite: sideicons 8 loaded. Sprite: sideicons 9 loaded. Sprite: sideicons 10 loaded. Sprite: sideicons 11 loaded. Sprite: sideicons 12 loaded. Sprite: compass 0 loaded. headicons_prayer 6.png Skulls Loaded Sprite: scrollbar 0 loaded. Sprite: scrollbar 1 loaded. Sprite: redstone1 0 loaded. Sprite: redstone2 0 loaded. Sprite: redstone1 0 loaded. Sprite: redstone2 0 loaded. Sprite: redstone1 0 loaded. Sprite: redstone2 0 loaded. Sprite: redstone1 0 loaded. Sprite: backleft1 0 loaded. Sprite: backleft2 0 loaded. Sprite: backright1 0 loaded. Sprite: backright2 0 loaded. Sprite: backtop1 0 loaded. Sprite: backvmid1 0 loaded. Sprite: backvmid2 0 loaded. Sprite: backvmid3 0 loaded. Sprite: backhmid2 0 loaded. Loaded magicon3_0.DAT Loaded magicoff3_1.DAT Loaded magicon3_1.DAT Loaded magicoff3_2.DAT Loaded magicon3_2.DAT Loaded magicoff3_3.DAT Loaded magicon3_3.DAT Loaded magicon3_4.DAT Loaded magicon3_5.DAT Loaded magicoff3_6.DAT Loaded magicon3_6.DAT Loaded magicoff3_7.DAT Loaded magicon3_7.DAT Loaded magicoff3_8.DAT Loaded magicon3_8.DAT Loaded magicon3_9.DAT Loaded magicon3_10.DAT Loaded magicon3_11.DAT Loaded magicon3_12.DAT Loaded magicon3_13.DAT Loaded magicoff3_14.DAT Loaded magicon3_14.DAT Loaded magicoff3_15.DAT Loaded magicon3_15.DAT Loaded magicoff3_16.DAT Loaded magicon3_16.DAT Loaded magicoff3_17.DAT Loaded magicon3_17.DAT Loaded magicoff3_18.DAT Loaded magicon3_18.DAT Loaded magicoff3_19.DAT Loaded magicon3_19.DAT Loaded prayeroff3_0.dat Loaded prayeron3_0.dat Loaded prayeroff3_1.dat Loaded prayeron3_1.dat Invalid memory access of location 0x0 rip=0x1010e89f2 Segmentation fault Macintosh:Client matt$

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2009, 04:43 PM

Go into the source code with a debugger and fix whatever is causing the crash.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2009, 04:48 PM

Did you think a new thread would provide you with a different answer?

mattack1  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 16, 2009, 05:36 PM

Actually, I felt is a completely different topic, and it would be better to do this. And since other people were helped out in the past with these problems, it would be an easier way for people to reply. Some people may not know from the other post about my Segfault. problem.

mattack1  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 16, 2009, 05:38 PM

As for the debugger, what should I download? A certain product that is recommended and free?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2009, 06:23 PM

I was being sarcastic. Unless you're a Java programmer, you can't do much to fix a Java program. And judging by your questions, I don't think you're a Java programmer.
( Last edited by Chuckit; Sep 16, 2009 at 06:54 PM. )
Chuck
___

mattack1  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 16, 2009, 06:27 PM

haha. I think you are correct.

P
Sep 17, 2009, 10:06 AM

The correct answer in your case is probably to contact the developer of said app and explain your problem.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

mattack1  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 18, 2009, 10:51 PM

I guess it can not be solved. I guess I will have to get Vmware or something.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2009, 11:57 PM

Since it was working before, you may have a corrupted cache. Try deleting ~/Library/Caches/Java
Vandelay Industries

mattack1  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 30, 2009, 03:10 PM

where could I find this library/caches/java?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 30, 2009, 03:15 PM

~ is your home folder. Each slash indicates a subfolder.
Chuck
___

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Sep 30, 2009, 03:26 PM

Haha, not this again. I think the proper solution to this one is to invent a time machine, go back in time, find the developer of this Java game when he was younger, and convince him to go into something like interior decorating instead.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

mattack1  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 30, 2009, 06:13 PM

I looked in ~/library/caches and found nothing related to java.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 30, 2009, 09:23 PM

Did you look in the Library folder in your home folder, or did you look in the one at the root of your disk?
Chuck
___

mattack1  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 1, 2009, 07:01 AM

I found it, it still didnt fix my problem.

Forum Links
Forum Rules