Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Unpacking .rar files . . .

Unpacking .rar files . . .
michael180
Forum Regular
Oct 7, 2010, 01:11 AM

I can't open .rar files on my MBP. When I download an .rar file it look like txt or doc file, it doesn't have the box with the RAR logo on it. And when I double click it my Calibre app opens. Zip files open okay . . .

Any suggestions?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 7, 2010, 02:12 AM

UnRarX

reader50
Administrator
Oct 7, 2010, 02:14 AM

Fast solution: Hold down the Control key while clicking on the file, to bring up the contextual menu. Then use Open With to send it to a suitable program.

Permanent solution: Get Info on the file. Lock it, then pop up the Open With menu. Choose a suitable program. OSX will ask if you want to change the default app for all .rar files. YES. Then unlock the file.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Oct 7, 2010, 02:32 AM

... or you could just choose a suitable program and then click the "Change All..." button. No messing around with locking/unlocking necessary.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

reader50
Administrator
Oct 7, 2010, 03:45 AM

Charles, I don't use that approach because it changes the modification date on the file. Most of the time that isn't an issue, but sometimes it throws off sort order. Hence why I usually do the lock/unlock to change default application for a file type.

phuture
Oct 7, 2010, 04:54 AM

Everytime I download a .rar file and double click it, Stuffit automatically opens and assembles it for me. I didn't have to set it or anything. Maybe try stuffit!
reprazentin tha apple since 1987

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 7, 2010, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
Charles, I don't use that approach because it changes the modification date on the file. Most of the time that isn't an issue, but sometimes it throws off sort order. Hence why I usually do the lock/unlock to change default application for a file type.
Hey, didn't know that. Thanks for the heads up.

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules