Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Picture of AppleInsider Server!

Picture of AppleInsider Server!
JohnKy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 28, 2001, 08:31 PM

our spies have captured a picture of the mysterious AI server And some think that MacNN may possibly be using it now!

kiskiboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 28, 2001, 08:37 PM

Are you the John Kentucky I've seen from AI and orangeinsider?

yeah, that is about it. I have pretty much had it. For the love of all that is good, just shut down AI and MacNN and put them out of their miseries. This is F'in ridiculous.

I ralrely post here anymore becasue it is too slow, and aonly came here looking for an AI update

JohnKy  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 28, 2001, 08:48 PM

Originally posted by kiskiboy:
<STRONG>Are you the John Kentucky I've seen from AI and orangeinsider?
</STRONG>

Yes I am...(hope that it is good that I am )

imacaholic
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 29, 2001, 12:42 AM

What kind of processor is that?! Does it generate much heat? How much power does it consume? Somebody please tell me!
Fold! It does a body good!™
173.82 GHz Tower of Folding Power
9th Ranked Folder in the World

elppa cam
Jun 29, 2001, 01:37 AM

I believe the rodent is dead!
"I... baked... your... dog... for... you..."

muchfresh
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 29, 2001, 02:25 AM

johnKy -

sorry man that was an old shot. Since then they have had a couple technical dificulties. This is latest visual of the AI server.

'Satisfy the urge and discover the need' Q-Tip

Cipher13
Jun 29, 2001, 03:43 AM

Yellow lines on top of the rat... heh.

Look, if you don't like it here, then just go. Don't whinge.

Too slow? Find somewhere faster.
Too active? Find somewhere more dormant.
Too bright and cheerful? Find somewhere more dull and dormant.

For God's sake just quit your damn whingeing.

You don't come here cause its too slow... ok. Cool. Fine.
So go away then. Its a shame to lose anyone (heh, well, most people), but if you're just gonna complain, well, piss off.

Avenir
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2001, 06:40 AM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
<STRONG>Yellow lines on top of the rat... heh.

So go away then. Its a shame to lose anyone (heh, well, most people), but if you're just gonna complain, well, piss off.</STRONG>
I'm gonna whine and say you spelled "whine" wrong. But then maybe that's just austrailian for "whine"

spike[at]avenirex[dot]com | Avenirex
IM - Avenirx | ICQ - 3932806

JohnKy  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 29, 2001, 08:09 AM

<STRONG>Yellow lines on top of the rat... heh.
So go away then. Its a shame to lose anyone (heh, well, most people), but if you're just gonna complain, well, piss off.</STRONG>
Cipher..it wasn't an attack..it was a joke. Come on...lighten up!! If you had ever gone to AI lately, you would know that those pictures fit it to a T! Now that I see MacNN is a bit faster...perhaps they have 2 hamsters?

Muchfresh...that is great! LOL almost fell out of my chair. can I borrow that one? Great way to start day is with a good laugh.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jun 29, 2001, 11:23 AM

So go away then. Its a shame to lose anyone (heh, well, most people), but if you're just gonna complain, well, piss off.
Come on Cipher! "Don't read the newspaper 'cause you might read something you don't like" or even "don't use Wintels at work because you don't like them".

Where I work we don't have a choice. HP Wintels are the ONLY kind of computers allowed on the hospital net. But I work here so I'll have to live with it, but I complain! To get things changed, despite the odds.

And I can tell you there are so many IT techs who have the same attitude as you Ciph, and it just is not worth it.

BTW why would you be defending MacNN's choice of HW/SW/net? Cool it.

Besides, MacNN IS slow. Terribly so, and I for one wish they would do something about it, OK?
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 29, 2001, 11:36 AM

Originally posted by imacaholic:
<STRONG>What kind of processor is that?! Does it generate much heat? How much power does it consume? Somebody please tell me! </STRONG>
Rumor has it that they'll have two processors in the next revision of the TiBook. I don't believe it. Look at the size of that thing!

But don't worry, Apple is working on a .10 micron process. Smaller rats = greater efficiency.

And reportedly IBM has a new experimental processor running at 100 Ghz, utilizing guinea pigs rather than rats.

finboy
Jun 30, 2001, 05:08 PM

That picture is scarily accurate, if for no other reason than because

IT ISN'T MOVING.

I gave up on AI a long time ago. Maybe some other folks need some interventions in regards to this.

Cipher13
Jun 30, 2001, 11:52 PM

Originally posted by Avenir:
<STRONG>
I'm gonna whine and say you spelled "whine" wrong. But then maybe that's just austrailian for "whine" </STRONG>
Actually, yeah, it is...

Whine and whinge are the same word... both valid... both present in a dictionary...

Originally posted by JohnKy:
<STRONG>

Cipher..it wasn't an attack..it was a joke. Come on...lighten up!! If you had ever gone to AI lately, you would know that those pictures fit it to a T! Now that I see MacNN is a bit faster...perhaps they have 2 hamsters?

Muchfresh...that is great! LOL almost fell out of my chair. can I borrow that one? Great way to start day is with a good laugh.</STRONG>
Yeah, of course it was a joke. Bloody hell, I am just so sick of all this AI crap. Its been going on for months, get the hell over it.

Originally posted by voodoo:
<STRONG>

Come on Cipher! "Don't read the newspaper 'cause you might read something you don't like" or even "don't use Wintels at work because you don't like them".

Where I work we don't have a choice. HP Wintels are the ONLY kind of computers allowed on the hospital net. But I work here so I'll have to live with it, but I complain! To get things changed, despite the odds.

And I can tell you there are so many IT techs who have the same attitude as you Ciph, and it just is not worth it.

BTW why would you be defending MacNN's choice of HW/SW/net? Cool it.

Besides, MacNN IS slow. Terribly so, and I for one wish they would do something about it, OK?</STRONG>
I'm not defending anything, I'm just fed up with all the complaining. Yeah, it is awfully slow, I know that. Whats your point?

Don't go trying to define my attitude from this post. If I don't like something, I'll complain - I think most people here would realise that by now - but AI is long dead, and nobody here cares unless you came from AI.

Find a new board, and stop littering our board with garbage about yours. Its gone. Good riddance.

gwrjr33
Senior User
Jul 1, 2001, 12:01 AM

<STRONG>
Bloody hell, I am just so sick of all this AI crap...</STRONG>
Yeah, well, tough. You ain't half as sick of it as we are. There just is no excuse for the way AI has been pissed on.

groverat
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 1, 2001, 12:07 AM

Cipher, take a look at the top of this page. See that second link, right next to MacNN? Maybe you missed it before.

It's not like people from some completely unassociated board are coming here complaining, AI is a part of the MacNN network and until that ceases to be MacNN-proper will be the place to go for answers.

If you're tired of reading about AI, don't look in the threads. Don't click. It's really simple.
Long live the AppleInsider forums!

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 1, 2001, 12:20 AM

Originally posted by groverat:
<STRONG>

If you're tired of reading about AI, don't look in the threads. Don't click. It's really simple.</STRONG>
Not posting is even simpler....I'm with Cipher on this, the topic has been discussed and re-disscused to the point of ridiculousness.

I almost think we should have a whole forum topic dedicated to AI refugees so they can stop whining (never said whining was bad just you are doing it excessivley)to us MacNNers cuz we really couldn't care less.

And hey need a new forum? MacNetv2 is really cool (and I mod there too) so check it out...you just may like it better than the MacNN fora.

[ 07-01-2001: Message edited by: sek929 ]

Cipher13
Jul 1, 2001, 01:12 AM

Originally posted by gwrjr33:
<STRONG>

Yeah, well, tough. You ain't half as sick of it as we are. There just is no excuse for the way AI has been pissed on.</STRONG>
Hate to break it to you, but they don't NEED a damn excuse.
Its their server, its their board, and if they wanna piss on it, if they wanna sh!t on it, they can do whatever the hell they like. Ok?

Oh, and believe me, I'm just as sick of it as you are, if not more so - I'll be glad if AI got back up just so you have somewhere to crawl back to.

[ 07-01-2001: Message edited by: Cipher13 ]

gwrjr33
Senior User
Jul 1, 2001, 01:29 AM

Originally posted by sek929:
<STRONG>
Not posting is even simpler....I'm with Cipher on this, the topic has been discussed and re-disscused to the point of ridiculousness.

I almost think we should have a whole forum topic dedicated to AI refugees so they can stop whining (never said whining was bad just you are doing it excessivley)to us MacNNers cuz we really couldn't care less.</STRONG>
What is it with you rocket scientists? You see a thread about AppleInsider. You click on it. Lo and behold there are AI refugees posting here bitching about the the way MacNN doesn't maintain the site. Imagine that. I don't care if you guys don't like it. Nobody is forcing you to read this stuff. It's not like we are getting in the way any brilliant Socratic dialogue.

[ 07-01-2001: Message edited by: gwrjr33 ]

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 1, 2001, 02:53 AM

<STRONG>

What is it with you rocket scientists? You see a thread about AppleInsider. You click on it. Lo and behold there are AI refugees posting here bitching about the the way MacNN doesn't maintain the site. Imagine that. I don't care if you guys don't like it. Nobody is forcing you to read this stuff. It's not like we are getting in the way any brilliant Socratic dialogue.

[ 07-01-2001: Message edited by: gwrjr33 ]</STRONG>
Well maybe we are idealist who think that maybe something is being said that is worth our time and wear and tear on the mouse button, but alas we are mistaken once again.

And I'm not a fu*king retard, of course nobody is forcing us to read it, but that is besides the point I was making.....just start a chat room or your own boards and talk to all your AI buddies there and stop starting thread after thread after thread here...please.

gwrjr33
Senior User
Jul 1, 2001, 03:09 AM

Originally posted by sek929:
<STRONG>
And I'm not a fu*king retard, of course nobody is forcing us to read it, but that is besides the point I was making.....just start a chat room or your own boards and talk to all your AI buddies there and stop starting thread after thread after thread here...please.</STRONG>
When MacNN fixes the damn AI boards we'll stop. It's really not all that complicated.

Cipher13
Jul 1, 2001, 03:37 AM

<STRONG>

When MacNN fixes the damn AI boards we'll stop. It's really not all that complicated.</STRONG>
Hahaha, that sounded almost like an ultimatum
...and you just hold all the power to make that happen...

Just to SPITE you lot I hope AI goes down ENTIRELY.
God, that'd be sweet.

Spam MacNN all you want, just seeing your frustration would make it worth it...

gwrjr33
Senior User
Jul 1, 2001, 04:14 AM

<STRONG>
Hahaha, that sounded almost like an ultimatum
...and you just hold all the power to make that happen...</STRONG>
You're so ass backwards in your thinking. It would sound like an ultimatum to you.

Cipher13
Jul 1, 2001, 05:09 AM

<STRONG>

You're so ass backwards in your thinking. It would sound like an ultimatum to you. </STRONG>
Heh. Yeah, it does sound like one. Doesn't surprise me that its lost on you though, of course.

By the way, note the word "almost", ok? Go back and read it again. Maybe you'll understand this time.

Hmm... just wondering if you're aware of the irony of the statement ass backwards... probably not. You seem like the kind of person who likes to pick up phrases without knowing how to actually use them.

[ 07-01-2001: Message edited by: Cipher13 ]

The Dude
Banned
Jul 1, 2001, 05:15 AM

I hope they get those damn forums back up.

The cultures of the two forums are very different. AI should have their forum, and leave us the hell alone. They always seem willing to come here, piss us off, and call it a day's work.

Those people are vicious.

Cipher13
Jul 1, 2001, 05:18 AM

Originally posted by The Dude:
<STRONG>Those people are vicious.</STRONG>
I think barbaric and vulgar is more like it...

The Dude
Banned
Jul 1, 2001, 05:22 AM

Eh, they're ****s, plain and simple. And no, that wasn't the "s" word, or the "f" word.

Cipher13
Jul 1, 2001, 05:25 AM

Hehe, I can live with that definition

gwrjr33
Senior User
Jul 1, 2001, 05:44 AM

Let's see the AI people have been called asses this morning and barbaric and vulgar too. Why don't you explain to explain to us the meaning of the term "ass backwards". I'm sure it would be an eye opener - another expression I picked up.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 1, 2001, 05:59 AM

i thought the phrase was back asswards?

ice

Cipher13
Jul 1, 2001, 06:02 AM

<STRONG>Let's see the AI people have been called asses this morning and barbaric and vulgar too.</STRONG>
Don't forget your comment "bloody morons" before you decided to edit your post...

Hey, you take the phase how you want it, and I'll take it how I want it. Whether you were using it sarcastically or not makes all the difference, and its a factor thats quite difficult to determine on a text-based medium such as this.

But the literal definition of the phrase is of course complete logic... ass backwards is the way things should be done.

gwrjr33
Senior User
Jul 1, 2001, 06:13 AM

<STRONG>
But the literal definition of the phrase is of course complete logic... ass backwards is the way things should be done.</STRONG>
Actually, I just realized I wrote that wrong. I was thinking "x" and I wrote "y". I did it twice too. The phrase, of course, is "back asswards". I guess that is a bit ironic.

[ 07-01-2001: Message edited by: gwrjr33 ]

Cipher13
Jul 1, 2001, 07:25 AM

<STRONG>

Actually, I just realized I wrote that wrong. I was thinking "x" and I wrote "y". I did it twice too. The phrase, of course, is "back asswards". I guess that is a bit ironic.

[ 07-01-2001: Message edited by: gwrjr33 ]</STRONG>
LOL
Yes, yes it is
Ah well. I think we've each made our points.

DoctorGonzo
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 1, 2001, 07:37 AM

Those people are vicious.
I think barbaric and vulgar is more like it...
*stops for a moment to marvel at all the love in the air*

I almost think we should have a whole forum topic dedicated to AI refugees so they can stop whining (never said whining was bad just you are doing it excessivley)to us MacNNers cuz we really couldn't care less.
We don't want to be absorbed into MacNN. We would rather lose the boards completely then become another brick in the wall here. The AI forums have a seperate and unique identity and that must be recognized and accepted by people at MacNN.

It's not like we hate MacNN or anything, but I think it is obvious to anyone who has spent any great deal of time on either board, that the two are not the same.

And we like it that way.

Cipher13
Jul 1, 2001, 07:50 AM

Originally posted by DoctorGonzo:
<STRONG>

We don't want to be absorbed into MacNN. We would rather lose the boards completely then become another brick in the wall here. The AI forums have a seperate and unique identity and that must be recognized and accepted by people at MacNN.

It's not like we hate MacNN or anything, but I think it is obvious to anyone who has spent any great deal of time on either board, that the two are not the same.

And we like it that way.</STRONG>
Yeah, we understand that. But its HERE that you come to say "AI's down again", "Whats up with AI?", "WE WANT AI" etc. So we cop it.

And we don't want to cop it because we truly do not care.

Posting here won't help - its being going on for ages now. Just let it go - disperse, and think no more of it.

graphiteman
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 1, 2001, 08:01 AM

<STRONG>

Yeah, we understand that. But its HERE that you come to say "AI's down again", "Whats up with AI?", "WE WANT AI" etc. So we cop it.

And we don't want to cop it because we truly do not care.

Posting here won't help - its being going on for ages now. Just let it go - disperse, and think no more of it.</STRONG>
The reason we come here is because MacNN owns our boards. The other boards on the internet can't help us because they don't own our boards.
"...Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world,
are the ones who do."
-To the Crazy Ones

The Dude
Banned
Jul 1, 2001, 08:02 AM

Hehhe, go bitch to MacAddict! Hell, you wanna be another brick in the wall? Sheesh, they got TENS OF THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE!!!

Cipher13
Jul 1, 2001, 08:13 AM

Originally posted by graphiteman:
<STRONG>

The reason we come here is because MacNN owns our boards. The other boards on the internet can't help us because they don't own our boards.</STRONG>
Obviously MacNN doesn't give a sh!t. We don't either. How long has this been going on for?

AI is NOT a high priority. If it gets fixed, wow, great. But whingeing won't get it done any faster, cause its just not a high priority.

Now you're more than welcome at MacNN, but not if all you're gonna do is talk about AI and complain about it being down.

If you're at MacNN, then you're a MacNNer. Not an AI refugee.

gwrjr33
Senior User
Jul 1, 2001, 08:41 AM

<STRONG>
Now you're more than welcome at MacNN, but not if all you're gonna do is talk about AI and complain about it being down.

If you're at MacNN, then you're a MacNNer. Not an AI refugee.</STRONG>
Well, one of your own mods recently used the term "AI refugee". None of us want to be refugees. We didn't ask for the boards to go down. Yes, MacNN doesn't give a sh!t. But we do. You don't care about this subject but you keep posting to this thread. Strange.

Oh, and the vast majority of my posts here have not been about AI...

Cipher13
Jul 1, 2001, 09:11 AM

<STRONG>

Well, one of your own mods recently used the term "AI refugee".</STRONG>
They don't speak for me.

<STRONG>None of us want to be refugees. We didn't ask for the boards to go down. Yes, MacNN doesn't give a sh!t. But we do. You don't care about this subject but you keep posting to this thread. Strange.</STRONG>
Yeah. I'm like really, really bored.

<STRONG>Oh, and the vast majority of my posts here have not been about AI...</STRONG>
Yeah, and thats cool. Why spoil it?

gwrjr33
Senior User
Jul 1, 2001, 11:49 AM

<STRONG>
Yeah, and thats cool. Why spoil it?</STRONG>
Because I am not you.

AirSluf
Senior User
Jul 1, 2001, 04:36 PM

Man,

Who pissed on Ciphers corn flakes this morning?

groverat
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 1, 2001, 07:11 PM

Why we AI-refugees (And I'll happily call myself that) come here:
Because MacNN runs the boards. Plain and simple. You don't see "Why is AI down?" threads anywhere else. Rub a few brain cells together and think about why.

The MacNN regulars piss and moan when MacNN goes down or gets slow, why shouldn't AIers do the same thing?

If you're really tired of hearing about AI's troubles, go to a board isn't directly related to it.

You're the kind of guy that dates a single mom and bitches about how annoying her kids being around all the time is. (even if this particular kid is the red-headed step-child)

It isn't a high priority: True, but those of us who like AI would like that to change, and until MacNN-proper decides to ditch AI entirely they are the people that need to be addressed.
- If they honestly don't want to mess with it, let people who care mess with it.
- If they're in the process of an upgrade or change, give us an update every week or so.

It's a redress of grievances, if you don't like it, don't read it. There are hundreds of other threads for every one thread about AI, I'm sure you can contain yourself.
I don't like 90% of the moronic banter here, so guess what I do, I don't read it and I sure as hell don't complain about it in those threads!

But it's quite funny to read your posts acting like a representative of MacNN, so keep it up.
Long live the AppleInsider forums!

Get Cubed
Jul 1, 2001, 09:15 PM

Cipher13, this is the MacNN Lounge where people can talk about anything they want so long as the Moderators approve. If you don't want to talk (or hear) about AppleInsider then don't read the freakin' posts! You're a hypocrite.

Get Cubed

[ 07-02-2001: Message edited by: Get Cubed ]

BuonRotto
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 1, 2001, 09:35 PM

AI is the WWF of the MacNN boards: if you don't approve, don't tune in!

murbot
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 1, 2001, 09:47 PM

Well, I've been perfectly fine coming here when AI is down - in fact I visit both boards even when it's up. It's not a gang-like thing is it? You guys are making it seem like it's one or the other.

I've always thought Cipher was a decent guy as well until reading this thread. I'm vulgar and barbaric for being an AI member? Come one man.... whoever asked if someone pissed in your cornflakes is on to something.... I'm sure you're not that much of an asshole normally, maybe your date laughed at you when you pulled your shorts down? Oh, wait, you've got 5000+ posts, sorry - I shouldn't insult a MacNN god...

rhino_g3
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 1, 2001, 10:00 PM

Yellow lines on top of the rat... heh.

Look what happened to this thread after Cipher posted the above reply. Up until then it was just joking around. I for one thought the pic JohnKy posted was pretty funny.

Lighten up Cipher, and thanks for changing what could of been a light hearted thread into an excuse to increase your post count.

rhino_g3

rhino_g3
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 1, 2001, 10:04 PM

Oh, and by the way. The dead animal with the yellow lines on it. That is a opossum not a rat. hehehe.

rhino_g3

j aske
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 1, 2001, 11:14 PM

All this BS from Cipher (cool name dude!!!!), and his fellow syncophants...fellas, this is a discussion forum (or whatever they're called in AU), and people say things, they complain, they kvetch, etc....now, the point of discussion forums, and larger still democracy, is to "tolerate" discussion..and then complain about the substance of the post, democratic speech, etc...not the fact people are engaged in speech....and yeah, this is the cartoon version of the rationale for open debate, etc, but then Cipher's posts don't warrant more...now, little man, if you actually want to explain why people's posts are unsubstantiated, etc, rather than labeling them as whiners (AU spellings included), please do so...but please, read a little, think of pricks like Stalin, and let people speak..I mean, Cipher, no one forced you to read this did they? (And I know, you're a ****ing idiot...the Stalin reference was hyperbole, exageration...you know, to make a point)...and if you want to give this a "go", let's do so...maybe for your next go you can "make-fun" of typos and spelling errors

CaseCom
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2001, 12:55 AM

Originally posted by JohnKy:
<STRONG>our spies have captured a picture of the mysterious AI server And some think that MacNN may possibly be using it now!

</STRONG>
No no no ... that's the new iMac complete with LCD display.

Cipher13
Jul 2, 2001, 02:15 AM

I was in a bad mood when I posted before, I'll admit that, sure. Personal reasons, that I'm not gonna discuss.

And yeah, the general attitude of a large number of AI members here is nothing more than vulgar and perhaps "barbaric".

Admins: Turn my post count down if you so please. I really don't give a sh!t about that - and it pisses me off that because I have more posts than someone else, you assume thats all that matters to me. How shallow. Take me back to -8000. Go on. See if I care.

The reason it pisses me off is because there are SO MANY threads about it. And what is it accomplishing? Nothing.
If you were to follow the trends then the MORE you complain the LESS uptime that server has.

As it is, not long ago MacNN was turning to rubbish. That seems to have been turned around. But, hey, this just adds to the rubbish-factor of it all, you know?

I post on a lot of boards, and this is the only one I really like.
I don't want to see it turn to crap. AI is a different kind of board, and a lot of members treat MacNN like they did AI - and post in the same way.

Its different here, and we will not take some of the crap that was tolerated over there.
If you're gonna post civilly and so forth, then WELCOME!
Otherwise, if you're just gonna complain, go away. Email Monish or something. Posting here about AI will accomplish nothing.

Forum Links
Forum Rules