Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Audio Out problem with Pro Tools

Audio Out problem with Pro Tools
holderlin
Jul 20, 2003, 12:51 PM

I'm sorry for what is probably a simple question.

I upgraded to ProTools for MacX a while back. I had the previous version with the Digi001 sound card. Since upgrading to MacX the sound card has not been available as an option in my audio preferences. I have "built-in audio controller" as the only option.

I can only get audio from the Digi001 sound card when I'm in ProTools program. For any other purpose I have to connect speakers or headphones to the mini headphone jack in the back of the G4

I used to be able to use the 001 sound card for all audio. what's happened? Is there a driver upgrade for osX that I'm missing. I haven't been able to find anything on Digidesign's web page.

Presumably when I record something (from the web or elsewhere) it's not recording through the 001 sound card?

thanks,
bob

holderlin  (op)
Jul 21, 2003, 08:22 AM

I think I found the solution. It does appear that I was only missing a driver. I downloaded Digidesign's CoreAudio 1.2 and it appears to be working fine.

Thanks,
Bob

holderlin  (op)
Jul 21, 2003, 04:24 PM

I thought I had it solved. I get sound coming from music files. However, when I play something from the net it comes through the Mac's internal audio card not through the Digidesign card.

Any suggestions.

Thanks,
Bob

Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
Jul 21, 2003, 04:47 PM

Some apps don't pay attention to the setting in the sound pref pane. Final Cut Pro is like that. ProTools 6 is like that (my mbox is not seen by the system at all). When you say 'something from the net' do you mean your local network or the internet? If it's from the internet then it might be a quicktime issue.

aleph_null
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 23, 2003, 08:04 PM

The core audio driver is a single-client driver. Meaning that only one app can output using the digi hardware at a time. And I believe the Finder is permanently prevented from being able to use it (otherwise, since it launches before any other app, once it acquired the hardware, no one else would be able to use it).

So if you launch iTunes and it grabs the hardware, no one else will be able to use it until you quit iTunes. And even then it's a little finicky.

Forum Links
Forum Rules