Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > S/PDIF input to G4 Quicksilver

S/PDIF input to G4 Quicksilver
Nivag
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2005, 11:53 AM

i've had a look around and now totally confused as to what to choose.

I'm in the process of buying a new turntable as my current one has decided to die.

i need it to spin at 33, 45 and 78 rpm - this sort of narrows my choice by needing the 3 speeds. anyhoo, i found the Stanton STR8.150 which pretty much fits the bill, direct drive and other bells and whistles. but what really caught my eye is the feature of S/PDIF output.

Now i know the G5s have the optical in, but seeing as i'm not looking swap my G4 at the moment, as much as i would love to, i need a way of getting this on my Quicksilver (running 10.4.1).

I've looked at M-Audio, Edirol and PERREAUX so far and haven't got a clue which one. I've got a spare PCI slot or i can go the USB/Firewire route - i'd rather not spend loads on a device as this is not my main hobby, but i do like listening to music so it needs to be half decent.

At the moment i'm using my Pismo to rip the vinyl to mac, so i guess one of these devices is going to be better.
Now the question is, does anyone have any recommendations as to which one?

druber
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 22, 2005, 10:32 PM

Huh, looks interesting. Of course, a turntable won't normally have a digital out. And if it does, then there's an analog/digital converter built-in. Seems a little hard to believe that this would yield better results than running your phono out into some alternate recording device, especially if you're satisfied with your current turntable.

If you do decide to go this route, I'd recommend the Waveterminal U24 as a digital-in. Around $180 new, but well thought of in audiophile circles, or at least those I've read about. I'll give a better review when my DAC arrives next week and I can give it a proper test.

Best of luck
Help find a cure for Malaria: crunch D2OL for Team Macnn.

Nivag  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2005, 05:41 AM

Cheers, i'll have a look at that, sadly i can't use my current deck as it's broken.

i'll have a look at the Waveterminal U24, i was edging towards the Edirol UA 1D, it only does S/PDIF. but i may well wait and see what you think when get yours and see how it goes.

cheers for the heads up!

druber
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 23, 2005, 12:02 PM

A couple details for you that might be helpful. The U24 is listed as a 24-bit device, while the 1D is 16-bit. Not sure how the U24 would be at A/D conversion, but I guess that depends on what level you want to work out. Apogee makes a great little A/D for ~$900, if that's your bag.

I think more important is that the 1D does playback at 48khz. Standard CDs, of course, are recorded as 16-bit/44.1khz. If this device outputs at 48khz, it has to convert the 44.1 signal to 48, to which I'd give the big thumbs-down. But then again, if you're only using this device as an input-path, that may not be an issue.

Myself, I'd probably be more interested in getting a good deck than one that has a special feature like a digital-out, especially if you can't use that connection without buying another piece of hardware. If you aren't happy with how it performs, you're saddled with two pieces of hardware you don't want. I sure understand that not everyone wants to make a big investment out of listening to music. I'm no audiophile guru, but I'm building a fancier system that I expected when I first set out, though. Oops.

Nivag  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2005, 12:44 PM

i know the feeling of spending more than intending to when it comes to Hi-Fi setups!
My major need is getting a deck that plays 78rpm more than anything else, which need a fairly powerful motor to drive them from what i've been reading.

Ideally i don't want to be spending too much *cough* - the deck costs around £340 ($620) - i had a look at one today and it's really nice, with clear and precise feeling controls, plus the construction is solid! a good way to cut down on vibrations (on top of the dedicated turntable shelf i've got).
i've never personally owned a deck that's got direct drive and that felt good to use as well.

on the output side it has separate analog and digital circuits. So if i want a purely analog signal, i can use the Phono output or i can use the S/P DIF output for the digital. I've got a Mission Cyrus Amp III which has got a decent phono stage.

The Edirol is more in my price range to start with, i'm not thinking of using the output side of it - plus i'm hoping to change my G4 in a years time, once these new fangled Intels appear and if they keep the spec of optical in like the current G5 has got then i should be happy. if that's possible with computers and Hi-fi equipment.

but you have got me thinking more about my import device now.....

druber
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 23, 2005, 04:42 PM

I can only claim general knowledge of turntables. My Classe integrated amp has a phono stage; I'll add one at some point, especially since my girlfriend has an LP collection. In the US there seems to be a one-box strategy of people hunting for a single unit to play, say, CD/DVD/SACD/DVD-A/anything else that fits. Myself, I'd rather choose a unit that doesn't have features I won't use, knowing that those extra features are part of the price-point of the item.

Seems to be a point of diminishing returns, though, not just in the cost of so many components, but of the fight to get components of the same general quality and sound. I don't know how much to believe in thousand-dollar cables or "system synergy". But more components, a longer chain, doesn't really sound like the way to a purer signal.

So, I'd say it probably depends more on the kind of listening you do, and where you do it. When you digitize vinyl, do those CDs become your critical-listening software? Or do you rip to mp3 so you can listen to your records on the road via iPod, etc?

If you can, get a home demo and see how you like the sound of this TT. Record an LP you've recorded before, by the same means as you did before, see how they compare. If the $100 for the 1D isn't a big deal, maybe try that too. This to say, test it out if you can and see what you think. Don't pick something fancier if you can't tell the difference and aren't hunting for ways to upgrade your system to find whatever benefit the salesman swore you'd find if your other components were "up to par". In my small experience, they absolutely swear by whatever they carry. After all, if there were something better, why wouldn't they carry that instead?

Just make sure your equipment doesn't way exceed its use. Studio gear is great, but if you're listening to your recordings on the train with puny headphones, you won't get to enjoy that great quality. Go a little crazy, you know, this isn't the most rational pursuit. Just avoid the white coats if you can.

druber
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 11, 2005, 02:04 PM

Brief update. Have been using the Waveterminal U24 in my stereo setup for a couple weeks now, and it's worked great. Have had a few signal dropouts, but that was on an extended USB-cable run. Quality-wise I've got no complaints, though I don't have a similar unit to compare it against. I'm happy. Yeah me.

Nivag  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2005, 06:12 AM

cheers for the update, i've decided to give the Edirol UA 1D a try, i'm not looking to use it as a output device so hopefully it'll be good enough for importing mainly 78rpm vinyl. it should be here in a couple of days.
the reason it took so long was i had problems finding a decent 78rpm stylus supplier in the UK. All i kept hearing was 'yes you can get one, i think, but i don't know where or what they cost. if you get the product number i'll try and get a price'

And there's me thinking that's what they get paid to do.... tsk!

but all is good now, these people helped a great deal. http://www.decks.co.uk

PacHead
Baninated
Jul 15, 2005, 05:33 PM

If you don't like the Roland you bought, try the Audiophile 24/96 PCI card. It's extremely low latency and it sounds alright, and it's cheap !

Why mess with USB crap, when you have an extra PCI slot ?

Nivag  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2005, 08:49 AM

i did look at the Audiophile 24/96 PCI card and i would of gone for it expect i was thinking of using my laptop as well as the Quicksilver to import music. It would just give me an extra option, that's all.
The Audiophile was my first choice though.

Forum Links
Forum Rules